Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Boyle
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

We just played our first game last night and it was pretty enjoyable, but we got a bit confused about if we handled the end game correctly or not. I played Mr. X and was not found, but his win condition for the rules states "The game is also over if the detectives are no longer able to move. In this case, Mr. X has won. This situation is reached at the latest at the 22nd move, but can be also be reached earlier if detectives are left with tickets which they cannot use."

The problem was that I used both of my double moves and I used a black ticket as a double move as well, so I essentially got 3 extra moves out of that. Because of this, I ran out of room on the travel log at space 24, so we assumed that basically meant Mr. X won. So even though the detectives had a couple tickets left, we didn't really know what to do with that.

Did we play that correctly? Is the turn 22 clause only true if Mr. X doesn't use double moves? Or did we mess up something with the double moves?

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inky Bloc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the issue was when you "used a black ticket as a double move." Black tickets do not allow you to move twice; their only purpose is to a) mask your method of travel, and b) allow you to move on ferry lines.

You can use a black ticket during a double move, but there are only two double moves available to you, meaning you would only have 24 moves at maximum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Boyle
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inkybloc wrote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the issue was when you "used a black ticket as a double move." Black tickets do not allow you to move twice; their only purpose is to a) mask your method of travel, and b) allow you to move on ferry lines.

You can use a black ticket during a double move, but there are only two double moves available to you, meaning you would only have 24 moves at maximum.

Ooooh okay that makes sense - thanks!. The rules for the black tickets read "M. X can use black tickets in place of other tickets whenever he chooses (double move entries, too)" and I misread that as I could use them as double move tickets, but you're right - that is an incorrect interpretation. So basically the game is going to end in between turns 22 and 24, or whenever Mr. X is caught by the detectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioannis Chatzigiannelis
Greece
Ag. Paraskevi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As quoted in your initial post, the game can indeed end before turn 22, if for example the detectives are in only-taxi locations, with only underground ticket at hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.