Recommend
20 
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 5 – United Kingdom & Pennsylvania» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pennsylvania 7-route rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is less a rules question and more an observation of something we found odd playing the Pennsylvania map. Cumberland-Baltimore is a 7-length route. There's no scoring reminder printed on the board and the rulebook instructs you to use the rules "first introduced in the original Ticket to Ride". Well, in TtR or TtR: Europe there are no 7-length routes, so if you hadn't seen them in other expansions how would you know how many points to give for them?

We scored it at 18 points, as in Team Asia or Märklin.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been wondering myself if you are to score ANY of the routes as they are built? Instead you are getting the associated stocks with (most) routes as you build them instead for scoring that way.
Otherwise I really, really, REALLY, wish they would have printed the scoring breakdown on the map!!!
Or...they could include a card with the breakdown as some versions have?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrranch wrote:
I have been wondering myself if you are to score ANY of the routes as they are built? Instead you are getting the associated stocks with (most) routes as you build them instead for scoring that way.
It is true that the rules don't say that you get points for routes built - but the rules also do not say that you get points for completed tickets.

But the tickets have point values printed on them - those values must mean something!

I would say that you get points normally for routes placed and tickets completed.

For the 7-car route, I think that following Märklin and Team Asia at 18 points makes sense.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R. Moon
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You do score the normal points for the routes and the 7 space route is worth 18 points.

Alan R. Moon
72 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Dalen
Germany
Tübingen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance we're getting an updated pdf of the rulebook of UK and Penn? There's quite something missing in both of them...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob0Rider wrote:
Any chance we're getting an updated pdf of the rulebook of UK and Penn? There's quite something missing in both of them...

This after the embarrassing debacle that was the Ticket to Ride 10th Anniversary Edition rulebook where there reasons just reeked of excuses of mistakes without admitting any!
I would have thought they would be more careful than to say to refer to the rules of a game that does not have a 7 car route.
shake

This SO COULD HAVE BEEN SOLVED if they has just put a point reference graph on the board like all the other tracks! Argh!
I wish they'd mail you a sticker to include on the board of that after actually admitting they screwed up this time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrranch wrote:

...I wish they'd mail you a sticker to include on the board of that...

For those of you thinking like me to put a sticker on the board these are what I have come up with as possibilities using some existing reference charts


I'm sad to cover existing art but I think the best spot for it would be southwest of the Johnstown dot?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone explain to me why the numbering is as it is? The difference gained by adding one extra length goes up erratically - 1,2,3,3,5,3.

Is there some system I'm not spotting?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't seem very erratic at all.

Would you prefer something like 2,2,2,2,2,2 or 3,3,3,3,3,3,3?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he was implying something more even of an escalation
such as: 1,2,3,3,4,4,5...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrranch wrote:
I think he was implying something more even of an escalation
such as: 1,2,3,3,4,4,5...

Yes, it's the going down from the 5 increase (between 10 and 15) to only a 3 increase (between 15 and 18). At every other point the next increase is either the same or greater than the previous increase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My assumption is that the 7-route is worth 18 points (an increase of only 3) to dissuade people from claiming it just for the points, and not because they need it to complete a destination ticket.

Making it worth 20+ points would make it as valuable as a long ticket.

Edit: I actually don't own this map yet, so I'm just guessing about the points for the destination tickets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Joshua is spot-on, it's called diminishing returns. If 7 and 8 card routes were, say, 21 and 28 or 30 points, everybody would just be drawing cards hoping to be the first to get 7 of a kind. You could just as well roll a die, hand the points out to the player with the highest roll and then actually start playing devil .
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Rasmusson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Yes... I'm choo-chooing to buy board games!
badge
The bird is the word!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorthania wrote:
I think Joshua is spot-on, it's called diminishing returns. If 7 and 8 card routes were, say, 21 and 28 or 30 points, everybody would just be drawing cards hoping to be the first to get 7 of a kind. You could just as well roll a die, hand the points out to the player with the highest roll and then actually start playing devil .

That map is called United Kingdom! 40 points for a 10 long route (3 being locomotives, and you can use any colour!)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Haze1975 wrote:
Lorthania wrote:
I think Joshua is spot-on, it's called diminishing returns. If 7 and 8 card routes were, say, 21 and 28 or 30 points, everybody would just be drawing cards hoping to be the first to get 7 of a kind. You could just as well roll a die, hand the points out to the player with the highest roll and then actually start playing devil .

That map is called United Kingdom! 40 points for a 10 long route (3 being locomotives, and you can use any colour!)

Exactly, which is why quite a few people on BGG have already been complaining that the 40 point route is too powerful. I haven't played the UK map yet, but I can see what they mean. In a 2-3 player game, it can be worth going for if you get some good draws early enough.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
any bets on whether this massive rules / board omission will be corrected in a second printing?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Goof
United States
Baraboo
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the 40 points is the route placement and destination ticket all in one right? 35 or so nights made more sense.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thorn

Middletown
New York
msg tools
I think the 40 pt. route in UK is counterbalanced by the turns wasted to draw enough similar cards, and the increased demand for locomotives. People are not going to pass on a face-up locomotive like they might in more normal versions of the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hunt
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UpstateFan wrote:
I think the 40 pt. route in UK is counterbalanced by the turns wasted to draw enough similar cards, and the increased demand for locomotives. People are not going to pass on a face-up locomotive like they might in more normal versions of the game.

Yes, exactly. Also, you play with only 35 trains, so it is a significant amount of your stock.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Palnatoke Andersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
mrranch wrote:
I have been wondering myself if you are to score ANY of the routes as they are built? Instead you are getting the associated stocks with (most) routes as you build them instead for scoring that way.
Otherwise I really, really, REALLY, wish they would have printed the scoring breakdown on the map!!!
Or...they could include a card with the breakdown as some versions have?

We played Pennsylvania yesterday, and since there was no scoring breakdown, and the rules do not mention 7-routes, we decided to have no route scoring, only stocks and tickets. It worked remarkably well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilio Ramaglia
Italy
Avellino
flag msg tools
mb
We play without scores for completed sections.
I believe that the sense of Pennsylvania map is precisely to use only destination tickets and corporate actions.
It seems strange that on the back (Map UK) there is a table and points on the Pennsylvania side not.
I think that the author does not have the inserted intentionally.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pomilius wrote:
We play without scores for completed sections.
I believe that the sense of Pennsylvania map is precisely to use only destination tickets and corporate actions.
It seems strange that on the back (Map UK) there is a table and points on the Pennsylvania side not.
I think that the author does not have the inserted intentionally.

You're wrong though. It has been stated by Alan Moon/Days of Wonder elsewhere that you should score track normally on the PA map.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McNulty
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Pennsylvania double routes
For double tracks, do the stocks apply to both tracks or only the one which the stock symbols are pointing to? E.g. for the tracks from Wheeling to Pittsburg, would you only get a stock card for the green track, or would the white track count as well?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Both.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merudo
United States
Asheville
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
7-length routes are clearly worth 0 points, unless an official errata has been published.

The rulebook instructs you to use the rules "first introduced in the original Ticket to Ride", and in TtR and TtR: Europe they are worth 0 points.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |