Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sceadeau D'Tela
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends, who are generally good at games, decided that they wanted to challenge themselves by adding a 6th epidemic card to the game.

While I think they're insane, I'm putting this thread out there for others to try it and post back experiences with it.

After dealing out cards, they separate the decks into 6 equal piles, placing epidemics in the first five and putting them together. Once the first epidemic triggers, they place it in the 6th pile, shuffle it up, and add it to the bottom of the stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that there's an extra spot on the Infection rate track, I'm guessing the 6th Epidemic card is in there somewhere for a future month.

I'm inclined to think the early games are supposed to be easier so you don't have a ton of rioting cities too early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I messaged Rob Daviau before our group's first game, asking if he had any suggestions for very experienced pandemic players to make it harder. He replied:

Quote:
You can certainly put in another epidemic card to make it harder. Start there and see how it goes.

Only played one game so far (using the same method Sceadeau describes) but we're happy with it. Given it's Rob's suggestion, this seems like the go-to variant for making it harder to me, given what I know right now (not much).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Milo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Having made it through November, it will not be viable to add another Epidemic. Not from a difficulty perspective (ie* it would make it too hard), but from a it may break later developments. Just trust the rules as is, the challenge level is already variable, as you will discover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You *could* still do it (I've finished the game, and will try to reply this without spoilers...)

There are later developments that are affected by epidemics, and that's why the post above recommends not putting in an extra one.

But, you could put in the extra one and keep it unaffected by later developments. So you'd be adding another epidemic ONLY, and anything related to epidemics would still happen as often as originally intended by legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
One option is to have the sixth epidemic as -2 funding. So if you're at 0 funding and win, you add the card. If you then lose, you take it out for the next game.

Worst case scenario, if it makes some months ridiculously hard (and it may do) you have another shot without it. I can't think of anything it will outright break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
A downside of that is that a strong team might well miss out on Funded Events entirely. We were a bit sad we only got to play with them if we lost a month the first time round, and then only two of them; not to use them at all would have made us sadder still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
One option is to have the sixth epidemic as -2 funding. So if you're at 0 funding and win, you add the card. If you then lose, you take it out for the next game.

Worst case scenario, if it makes some months ridiculously hard (and it may do) you have another shot without it. I can't think of anything it will outright break.

We played the whole game this way - except that if we lost we added back in 2 events and had to lose again before we would remove the 6th epidemic. Otherwise we likely just would never have used the events. It didn't make the game too hard (with 2 characters), and certainly didn't break anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
SevenSpirits wrote:
I messaged Rob Daviau before our group's first game, asking if he had any suggestions for very experienced pandemic players to make it harder. He replied:

Quote:
You can certainly put in another epidemic card to make it harder. Start there and see how it goes.

Only played one game so far (using the same method Sceadeau describes) but we're happy with it. Given it's Rob's suggestion, this seems like the go-to variant for making it harder to me, given what I know right now (not much).

I thought that Sean had posted back in here... we ended up going 12-0 with the 6th epidemic.

Our games were long - probably around 2hrs each, and sometimes longer with set-up and post-game. All 4-player games. And there were certainly a couple games where we had situations where we could have lost, had the wrong cards flipped off the top. (And, I suppose, there were also definitely situations where things would have gone a lot smoother, had any cards except the wrong ones flipped off the top... but that's Pandemic ). We also had to modify something in December (spoilered below).

We're confident that we played correctly.. We missed a rule in March, which hurt us
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Military bases could be made permanent as end-game upgrades

That we didn't catch until August, at which point, we used it three times . We cheated once in October (due to a rule change, we took 5 actions with a character, instead of their allowed 4), which we noticed a couple turns later... we remedied that by doing an extra objective (Which we were pretty sure was going to cause us to lose when we took it on.. I think that was the game that ended with some chain outbreaks in blue, when we only had ~7 blue cubes off the board... but due to the high interconnectedness of the blue cities, we mostly just increased their panic level and only needed to add 6 of the cubes to the board, leaving us barely alive and able to win on the next turn)

Anyway, 6 epidemics was definitely doable, and it achieved the goal of making the game harder... although, we still didn't get to play with funded events, which was part of the goal of making it harder.

December modification:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

We added another space between before the "cold trail" part of the search, that took all 4 colors of cards and couldn't be skipped. Drawing the needed cards was too harsh.

If another group is going to run 6 epidemics, it would probably be entirely reasonable to just start the search a space back. The intent of the search is that you get to draw most of the player deck before it goes cold, so this change would accomplish that goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.