GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,370 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Dice-Building Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested in dice building games, but the gameplay of Quarriors! doesn't really sound all that great to me (though I'm still likely to buy it in the future), and I personally dislike the theme of The Lord of the Rings Dice Building Game is a turn-off for me (Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy themes in general, just specifically not LotR) though it sounds pretty much perfect for a co-op dice-builder, and the Dice Masters series is nearly perfect for a vs dice-builder, while I'm not particularly enamored with its theme and dread its collectibillity.

I was wondering if anyone has designed games along those same lines, either using the dice from Quarriors, or just various other d6's from different games or from Chessex or such.

The idea that jumped at me on first impression of Quarriors was to convert Magic: The Gathering to a dice-building game. Later on when the Dice Masters series was published, its mechanics seemed to be almost exactly what I had in mind for that conversion of MTG.

I'm thinking that each player would select 8 cards (maybe more) and place them onto frames that represent the different dice colors, with the matching dice placed nearby.
Each player would start with some common resource dice: Either ones that generate different types of mana depending on the rolled result (this design direction would pretty much force players to select multi-color decks, but would be less fiddly), or ones that would be equivalent to the different basic lands in MTG and provide (1/2=nothing happens, 3/4/5=generate 1 mana of the appropriate type, 6=generate 2 mana of the appropriate type).
Using that mana they could purchase dice from their chosen cards and/or pay to activate any none-resource dice at their disposal.

I'd love to hear any thoughts you have on this, particularly ideas on a methodology to convert different types of MTG cards to standard D6 result tables. (I realize that most likely, not all MTG cards in existence could be converted easily, and that's fine by me.)

I'm also very interested to learn if anyone has re-themed The Lord of the Rings Dice Building Game, or of any other dice-building games that are not in the database.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were Star Trek, D&D and Warhammer based "collectible dice" games way back when, but they largely sank in the market. The D&D one even had some weird-shaped dice used to indicate state, I seem to recall. Blasted if I can remember the titles, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarriors! is superficially appealing but deeply disappointing to play. There's the germ of an interesting game there, but they went ahead and released it without really developing it properly. There's probably a good game you could make with those dice, but the half-baked one they pushed out the door isn't it.

It's not quite along the lines you describe, but you might want to take a look at Roll for the Galaxy. You roll dice, which in turn you can use to build tiles. Some tiles you new abilities and some give you more dice. You can also use dice to produce and ship goods, so the strategic options are fairly rich and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three wizkids dice building games. Personally for me Quarriors! is the best of the bunch. Super fast and easy to teach. It does seem to be heavily luck driven but I'm ok with that.

The mechanics of LOTR and Dice masters seem a little more refined but each of them has a flaw that prevents me from keeping them around.

LOTR - Loved the game play but it was way too long.

DM - Theme was great for me but the pre game selection of teams was too intimidating for casual players so it got minimal play.

What are the things you don't like about Quarriors!? also what are the things that draw you to dice building?

You could go with one of the bag building games. very similar mechanic without the random on random (bag with dice rolling). I'm a huge fan of Orleans and I hear Hyperboria is very good as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jossar wrote:
Quarriors! is superficially appealing but deeply disappointing to play. There's the germ of an interesting game there, but they went ahead and released it without really developing it properly. There's probably a good game you could make with those dice, but the half-baked one they pushed out the door isn't it.

It's not quite along the lines you describe, but you might want to take a look at Roll for the Galaxy. You roll dice, which in turn you can use to build tiles. Some tiles you new abilities and some give you more dice. You can also use dice to produce and ship goods, so the strategic options are fairly rich and interesting.

Ahhh yes! RftG would be a great choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
jossar wrote:

+1 for Roll for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sancmat wrote:
I've played all three wizkids dice building games. Personally for me Quarriors! is the best of the bunch. Super fast and easy to teach. It does seem to be heavily luck driven but I'm ok with that.

The mechanics of LOTR and Dice masters seem a little more refined but each of them has a flaw that prevents me from keeping them around.

LOTR - Loved the game play but it was way too long.

DM - Theme was great for me but the pre game selection of teams was too intimidating for casual players so it got minimal play.

What are the things you don't like about Quarriors!? also what are the things that draw you to dice building?

You could go with one of the bag building games. very similar mechanic without the random on random (bag with dice rolling). I'm a huge fan of Orleans and I hear Hyperboria is very good as well.

My main quibble with Quarriors is the way points are scored. I think diminishing your opponent's life would be far more suitable than raising your own glory track. Also, if I'm not mistaken, when you have a creature out and your opponents doesn't, it really doesn't do anything on your turn (or maybe I'm remembering a video tutorial wrong), and I also dislike that your creatures attack everything, instead of targeting something in particular.

I'm not sure exactly what draws me to this genre, I just know it appeals to me, as did Deck building games before it.

Also, you put Orleans on the radar for me. though it's too complex for what I have in mind currently, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having your creatures out when you turn starts is how you score points. There is no counterattack so picking and choosing who you attack makes no sense since your creatures can't be hurt during your attack you might as well attack everyone.

It seems like turning Quarriors around so you are taking away life versus building glory points would not be that hard. Your creature attacks everyone, they either have their own creatures to defend or they don't. If they don't, then they lose life. Obviously the devil is in the details, but it sure seems possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
It seems like turning Quarriors around so you are taking away life versus building glory points would not be that hard.

They could even call it "DiceMasters" or the like to differentiate it from regular Quarriors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.