United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pi-Shu
mbmbmbmbmb
When creating the force pools - is there a quick way to determine if a ship is a CA or BB, CL, CV etc?

The BB's and CA's appear to have the same silhouette?

It appears the CV's have a white silhouette on their reverse side.

It appears the CL's have a grey silhouette on their reverse side.

Second question:

Is it that the BB's and CV's have a "6" cycles to produce and the CA's and CVL's are anything but a '6' cycles to produce?

Thank you
-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

AFAIK first round cost for BB = 2 BP, for CA/CL it is = 1 BP.

Yours,

Jesper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bukata
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pi-Shu
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jesper,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I kind of was thinking that but hen I find examples of other ships such as on unit description chart it shows the Italian CA Zara with a "3/4" and 5 cycles. So the 3/4 throws me off.

But I think you might be right and/or its the cycles cost of 6 for the capital ship and any other number for CA or CVL.

Hopefully some more input can be garnered?

Ugh- Cant believe I didnt notice until today when setting up a game for the first time.

Thanks again!
-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bukata
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pi-Shu
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jesper,

I think you are right.

As far as something being classified as a "BB" it just automatically happens because of the build point cost.

thank you again,
-dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is ALL based on the cost of building the first cycle of the ship.

Are you using Ships in Flames? (Jesper's response assumed 'yes'.)

If NO, then ALL carriers are CV (no CVLs without Ships in Flames). All warships with 3 first cycle cost are cruisers (CA); all with a 2-cost are light cruisers (CL); all with a 4-cost are battleships. In your example, the Zara is a CA.

If YES, be sure to get rid of ALL the "standard" NAMED WIF ships; keep and use the TRS, SUBs, and CPs. In that case, a carrier with a 1 cost for first cycle is a CVL; a carrier with a 2-cost (first cycle) is CV.

A warship with a 1-cost first cycle and a 2-or higher SECOND cycle cost is a CA cruiser (1/1 dudes are CLs); any with a 2-cost is a battleship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bukata
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pi-Shu
mbmbmbmbmb
Wifwendell/Jesper,

Thank you both very much - it makes sense now :-)

Yes - we are using SiF, CVPiF and PiF and we did remove the appropriate pieces. When first creating the force pools it got really confusing real fast because it stated to divide the BB's etc up and then a paragraph or so later by cost.

When cross referencing with the unit description pictures it became more confusing (Hence the Zara ship).

Now I just have to find the rule on the PiF/SiF for their costs on the back - seem to remember there being something in the rules about the costs also :-) !

Thank guys - big help!

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PiF vs non-PiF air is easy, as the silhouette on the back is the same (all LND are LND, for instance). When it refers to something like LND-4, that refers to the number of turns it takes, not the cost. Thus, LND-4 refers to a 4 turn LND, aka strategic bomber (6 cost/4 turns without PiF, 4 cost/4 turns with, since pilots are built separately).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bukata
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pi-Shu
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all,

You know it all makes sense when you read the rules - time passes - lots of it and then nothing makes sense! We really appreciate everybody's answers - most helpful to get back on track!

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.