Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've loved every four player game that I played and assumed that 6 players would be amazing. . . I finally got my chance to play it six players a couple weeks ago and found that I didn't like it as much as four player.

Granted it was still fun and I think it may have had a bit to do with who I played the 6 player game with:
-One guy was german and had a hard time keeping up with all the negociations spoken in english
-One guy kind of gave up half way through
-One gal got bored around turn 6

Maybe next time I'll try it with more gamery people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only advantage of 4 over 6 is that it's easier to find 4 players who want to play. It sounds like the issues you had with 6 were not due to the game or the mechanics, but simply due to the players (and more specifically, just that this game wasn't those player's cup of tea).

Having played with both 4 and 6 myself, if you have 6 dedicated players, it is a far superior game than it is with 4, in my opinion. Much more dynamic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also in the camp that prefers the game at 4 players. 4 players is the minimum number you need to make alliances. The map also shrinks so there's more tension. It's also easier to keep tabs on the resources of other players: money, cards, troop amount, etc. Game length is reasonable and downtime is a lot less because you get your turns faster.

I don't like 6 players. It's too long, there's too much downtime and there's too many things to keep track of. If I do have 6 over, I'll still play Rex, but it's going to be a slog.

4 > 6 for me any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have also enjoyed 4 player games. I won't conclusively say that I prefer 4 player yet (haven't played enough to firmly make that call), but I can say that my most enjoyable games have been 4 player. The line about this game "needing" 6 player has been often repeated, but rarely explained.

Aside from the obvious advantages of having a faster pace, mix and matching races in 4 player should provide unique experiences too. For example, Xxxcha doesn't always pick Hacan 8 if Hacan isn't even in the game! Sneaky solo wins are more common in 4 player, and more cool differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our four player game fell flat as a board, and when I came on here to figure out why the players said without question that I shouldn't play it with less than 5, so I was surprised to see a forum devoted to the love of the exact thing they told me not to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.