GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,312 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Ora et Labora» Forums » General

Subject: Component Upgrade? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Kennedy
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really enjoyed playing Ora et Labora in the wake of its recent reprint. I have been thinking that I would like to upgrade a few components of the game to enhance the theme (although I think that like Uwe's other games, the theme is quite well implemented in the components and mechanics). My idea for this upgrade to the components is to upgrade the monks and prior tokens, as well as to change the "Cloister Office" space for each player to correspond to one of the ancient abbeys in Medieval Ireland and Medieval France.

In Ireland, I am thinking that I will have Clonard Abbey (founded by St. Finian); Clonfert Abbey (St. Brendan the Navigator); Iona Abbey (St. Colum Cille) and Lindesfarne Abbey (St. Aiden).

For France, I am thinking: Lerins Abbey (St. Honoratus); Mont-St-Michel (St. Aubert); Fleury Abbey (St. Leodebaldus); and Cluny Abbey (St. Berno).

This is my idea, but I am not sure how to go about implementing it. Would any of you all have suggestions of how to incorporate these monasteries and their founders into the player components for someone who hasn't done any of these component upgrade projects in the past?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Side note: Iona Abbey is not in Ireland, but rather on Iona off the west coast of Scotland.

Here's a beautiful picture from there from a couple of summers ago (the abbey is the large building in in the back center of the picture).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Winkowitsch
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
Pray and Work
badge
“Men who do not know what is true take care to hold fast to what is certain.” Giambattista Vico, The New Science, Section II.9.
mbmbmbmbmb

I think your plan to upgrade is an amazing idea. My Priors and Monks are upgraded to reflect 4 different religious orders:

Dominicans

Benedictines

Franciscans

Cistercians

I'm really happy with them. They make the game much more thematic and enjoyable.

Your plan to make 8 unique abbeys is quite ambitious in my imagination! I have images of the sculpts people have made for War of the Ring dancing in my head:

While I doubt your plan is this extravagant, another option I can think of would be simply printing out a nice picture of each abbey that is the size of a card and placing it on the home board over the Cloister Office. You could go even further and personalize the Clay Mound and Farmyard spaces on each board to thematically tie into each particular abbey, too.

Anyway, you'll have to let us know what you end up doing. I'm excited to see what you come up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kennedy
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like your sculpts for the different orders. I don't have nearly that level of proficiency with sculpy (I did try to make "Silmarilion Risk" back in high school but the pieces were very fragile). I am thinking that I will order a set of sculpted monks from
Gustav Petru
msg tools
mbmbmb
who recently shared a set of images on here of his sculpts for the monks. I am also considering getting monk minis from Bones miniatures and painting them. For the monasteries, I will probably do as you have suggested and print off a picture of each monastery and change the banner text for the cloister office to match the monastery's name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Winkowitsch
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
Pray and Work
badge
“Men who do not know what is true take care to hold fast to what is certain.” Giambattista Vico, The New Science, Section II.9.
mbmbmbmbmb

Actually, my monks are painted minis from Wargames Foundary.(They're an appropriately named set of minis called "Jolly Monks" 3rd from the bottom on this page: http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/ancients/civilians)

There are some clay modifications to the minis for my priors, though. The Dominican Prior has an added long black cloak, which turned out really well. The Franciscan Prior has an added paunch and the longer scapular over the belt and belly. The Benedictine Prior has an added a skull to the hand to bring to mind the medieval Latin custom of "momento mori." The Cistercian Prior has an added wide-brimmed hat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.