GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,865 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Roll for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Investment credits and other discount tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kent Coil
United States
East Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does the discount for investment credits apply if develop was selected by someone else but you weren't able to select develop. For instance, if you have investment credits built and have 1-cost developments queued under it, can they be built for free the next time someone selects a develop phase? Even if you didn't put any dice under develop? If not, investment credits would be completely useless for 1-cost developments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the text on investment credits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Fein
United States
Mahomet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I believe that the tile says that it can not go lower than a cost of 1. So, yes this tile is not useful for 1-cost developments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Coil
United States
East Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the quick response. Seems like it's pretty overpriced to me then. Including investment credits, you would only be playing 8 more tiles max and 4 of them would have to be 2-cost or higher developments for it to break even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
The concept of "breaking even" is not really valid here, or at least to use it a much better definition of cost is needed. After all, you do not LOSE the dice you use to build a tile (ignoring the one exception in Ambition). You do have to pay to use them again, of course, but you effectively get one die back per turn for free, so at the very least that needs to be taken into account.

I think in general a crude analysis will show that almost all <6 developments give less of a payoff than almost all worlds - a world gives you a die (net) which you can in theory use every turn, after all. However, there are compensating factors for <6 developments such as the fact it's easier to score bonus points on 6 developments with them than with worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
If develop happens and there are enough dice on a development to pay for it (taking into account the discount), then yes you build the development in the develop phase even though you haven't allocated any new dice. Note that investment credits doesn't reduce the cost below 1.
This is covered on page 6 of the rules under develop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
tool wrote:

I think in general a crude analysis will show that almost all <6 developments give less of a payoff than almost all worlds - a world gives you a die (net) which you can in theory use every turn, after all. However, there are compensating factors for <6 developments such as the fact it's easier to score bonus points on 6 developments with them than with worlds.

But you need to buy back dice from citizenry. You don't need to buy back discounts. Discounts can also make it more likely that you will have the option to buy something because you can always use it on that type, where as with a die you may not be able to usde it depending on what its roll is and what reassign powers you have available. In general I'd rather have discounts than dice. This is similar to having virtual ships, which in general I also prefer to having dice. But in either case you want to expect to use discount or virtual dice, otherwise real dice are better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:

If you were too lazy to even bother looking it up... I don't blame you. I've been there before. Otherwise, if you'd like a reference, then consider this....
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122045/roll-galaxy-lis...

There's also a webpage where the images of the tiles are at... something like roll.tk or something? However, I'm biased towards my reference , and I'm not able to access that in certain situations.

brunowolff wrote:
tool wrote:

But you need to buy back dice from citizenry. You don't need to buy back discounts. Discounts can also make it more likely that you will have the option to buy something because you can always use it on that type, where as with a die you may not be able to usde it depending on what its roll is and what reassign powers you have available. In general I'd rather have discounts than dice. This is similar to having virtual ships, which in general I also prefer to having dice. But in either case you want to expect to use discount or virtual dice, otherwise real dice are better.
If nothing else, it costs 4, but is also worth 4pts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Tikatoy wrote:

If you were too lazy to even bother looking it up... I don't blame you. I've been there before. Otherwise, if you'd like a reference, then consider this....
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122045/roll-galaxy-lis...

There's also a webpage where the images of the tiles are at... something like roll.tk or something? However, I'm biased towards my reference , and I'm not able to access that in certain situations.

That was my indirect way of saying "if you're asking a question, don't be lazy and include the text of what you're asking". And as it turns out, if he'd bothered to do that, he would have answered his own question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
There's also a webpage where the images of the tiles are at... something like roll.tk or something?

rollpics.tk (there's also racepics.tk)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider what could happen if discounts allowed tiles to be developed/settled for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.