Subject: Jungle terrain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alan polak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okay. Jungle terrain next. I have loads of the Gw trees but for one they are too big for the 15mm models, and two they're deciduos trees. SO after much perusal I went to my local pet shop and bought pretty much everything they had in the way of aquarium plants.Lots of different styles, a few different colours. Sorted. Now for the bases. Best thing to do with any scenery is to make it as basic as possible. This means you're not stuck with your terrain piece they way you made it forever. So lots of smaller bases full of trees are way better than one big impressive looking piece. I used cdr's for the bases for my trees. They're cheap and i like the round bases as they dont stick out too much on the table, and they're cheap. Some people use some form of wood, either thin mdf or even foamboard, but mdf is a pain to cut and foamboard too expensive for making lots of bases. So you've got your cds and your trees. First is texturing the discs.I used standard sand slapped on with lots of pva glue. Make lots as a vietnam game without lots of jungle is rubbish.Once they're all dry just undercoat them with black spray, whichever one you ue is okay. I have to say I'm not too neat when I make my scenery as I think once its on the board, you spend more time worrying about the position of your men and the large chunks of them that the enemy is shooting of rather than the super-detailed scenry that they are bleeding over. Of course go mad if you want to but thats the basic base. Once dry I spray them with an old GW spray Camo green. You cant buy this anymore but try to use spray as its quicker or you'll end up drybrushing the bases to match your board. I used Camo green s I have it and never did anything with it, and it blends in quite nicely with the static grass mat. Gluing the trees on can be tricky as you'll need to cut them down from the long stems that they come on, then glue them onto the bases. I use a mix of sand and gravel and the larger chunks of pebble make a good holding position fot the trees but not always so I had to prop the trees up with paint pots while they dried. They will fall of over time but a dab of pva sorts it out. Last thing to do is add some flock just to "jungle it up a bit". Try to leave some of the bases a little open, I made some paths using the flock to mark out the trail. Make it as varied as possible as it gives you more flexibility. Varnish and you're done. Phew. I made about 40 of theses tree nases and once its all laid out it looks pretty cool. No more though as I'm out of the green spray. Okay next the river section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Royal
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another method is to go to a craft shop that has cake decorations and purchase the palm trees - they run about $.05 to $.08 each.
I then used a bottle cap which I made a hole (nail punch) and stuck the palm tree into that.
On the bottom of the bottle cap I used hot glue and some washers (the washer hole went around the palm tree stalk that was sticking through) for added weight to make the trees less tippy.
I spray painted the bottle caps and palm tree stalk brown and the leaves green.
I then dry brushed the trees when they were dry.
Individually they are not great looking, but in a clump of trees they rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jenkins
Thailand
San Patong
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use wooden bases, made from picture / portrait blocks from the craft store, shaped in Oval, Circle, Square, Lozenge, and Indented on the corners Squares.

These are about 1/2" thick. I drill a hole with a small bit all the way through, hot glue,then stick the stree's bottom stem in. Trees fromthe craft store, woodland scenics type or similar, made from either plastic or wire, deciduous, and palms either or.

Hot glue spread across the top, or PVA depending on my mood, dunk it in flocking, press, and let dry.

It's sloppy for wargaming, not perfection. None of the players complain.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm79/Etarnon/IMG_3100.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.