Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2015 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest.

Summary
Card Driven Cars (CDC?) is a simple race game for 2-4 players that can be played by kids at least as young as 7. It is about... driving cars with cards (instead of, say, with dice). Play with card hands open or close (the rules do not mandate or recommend either). Print as many copies of the card PDFs as you want (more for more players is probably a good idea) and find some tokens to use as cars.

Components
The rules are so simple they fit in this little one-page-or-so image:

But of course by the contest rules I also need to provide a PDF:
cdc_rules.pdf

You need to print at least 3 copies of the sheet with standard cards for 2 players (add more for more players if you feel like the deck has to be reshuffled too often; benefit of print'n'play!):
race_cards.pdf

Then there is a sheet that includes slightly more advanced cards (allowing cars to move faster) but I think they will work for even the youngest players. I have used 1 sheet of these for 2 players (and they should probably be kept at most at 1 per 3 sheets of the other cards if more are added to the deck):
race_cards_extra.pdf

To play you need to print at least one of the provided race-tracks. Set your printer to scale up as big as possible (or smaller if you want a smaller version of the board of course!):
cdc_race_tracks_1-4.pdf

(Notice that track 1, that was the first one created, is much longer than the other ones, and if printed on anything smaller than A3 size will require very small car tokens. It is also a bit too long to be very fun to play really. Start with tracks 2-4 instead. And then make your own tracks.)

Graphics Credits
The artwork (track and cars) are by Kenney and available under the CC0 license. Some minor modifications were made, so do not blame Kenney for things that do not look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Components Ready] Card Driven Cars (2015 Children's Design Contest)
Bonus DIY Tracks
There is also a Tiled template and tile-set you can use to make your own tracks with the same graphics as the ones included with the game!

race_track_template.tmx

race.tsx (Tiled tileset data, needed by race_track_template.tmx)

vector_roads.png (actual tileset image, needed by race.tsx)

(Again: The artwork, or at least everything that looks good about it, is by Kenney, not by me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What the tracks look like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! My three year old is really into Hot Wheels right now so we have cars everywhere. Sounds like she's too young for the game but my six year old will probably enjoy it.

Welcome to the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background: This started out as an idea for the 18-cards contest, and originally was more inspired by Ave Caesar. But then over the last few months it accumulated more cards and were made more (hopefully) child-friendly.

A good thing with the tiles and left/right movement (compared to earlier ideas I had) is that I get to force my kids to practice left/right. It takes some effort to make them remember to consider the directions from the car's perspective rather than from where they sit. I have considered adding some markings/colors to make it easier, but on the other hand then they will not be forced to figure it out, and if you play with the cards visible on the table it is easy to help them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I tried the game today with the whole family (me & my wife, my 7yo son and my 4yo girl).

The game works really well, there is a good amount of strategy and a good amount of luck.

The only problem I see is when a player is blocked because they don't have a card, they discard their whole hand to draw as much card as possible and still don't draw the needed card...

I suggest this variant :

Quote:

When a player cannot play, if the cell in front of his car is free, he can go forward once then end his turn normally by discarding cards from his hand if he wants and drawing back to 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you and that is an idea worth considering. I did not experience much of that in my playtests, but I was aware of the risk. It might be good to have some protection from anyone getting too stuck.

Not having much experience trying to design for children I am not quite sure how much is too much rules, which is why I tried to avoid including any special cases. But being stuck is not fun of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Simple rules and intuitive gameplay. I think it's easy to get younger children interested in something like this, but there's just enough hand management to make it a proper game.

Despite the simplicity, there was one rules question that came up: I had assumed that if I was too close to a corner then I couldn't use a fast- or faster-forward, but my son assumed that he could part-use one of these cards to move only the distance he needed. In fact we each played with our own rule, since I was happy to give him a slight advantage and he was happy to take it.

We did only play with 2 players, and I wondered whether blocking might be too much of an issue with 4 players. To counter this I thought possibly you could draw a 6th card if you end your turn in the space directly behind another car, as a "drafting" bonus. I feel the same way as you do about keeping the rules clean and simple, though. In my own game I kept the basic rules as simple as possible, but added an optional rule for older players or those who have played several times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My intention was that you could only play the faster cards if you had tiles before the corner, but going with what your son wanted sounds like the correct solution anyway. Writing unambiguous rules is always much more difficult than what I expect it to be.

Now there have been two interesting ideas posted for what to do if blocking becomes a problem, so there is probably a solution if needed, and it could always be an extra rule added after first playing once or twice with just the basic rules. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time we played, we used my variant :

Quote:
If you get stuck and nobody is in front of you, you can move forward one step, no matter what is the cell in front.

It worked pretty well

I prefer that you keep the fast forward cards for straight lines because it adds to the hand management when there is no straight line coming soon: you can keep them for later or discard them to draw more cards.

It appears that it's good to keep one faster forward card for later but don't keep too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanja Gallate
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I also had fun playing your game with 2 players. Everything from the graphics to the rules and the game play are straight forward and engaging. I think it is really great that young kids get to practice distinguishing left from right in this game from the perspective of their car on the track, not just what their left hand vs. their right hand is. It will make them better map readers later on.

I like the rule variant Ghislain suggested which allows you to at least move one space forward if you are stuck with a hand that has no viable movement cards.

The game was exciting when the cars were close and you got to overtake your opponent, who then tried to overtake you back. Once a larger gap opened up between the cars, the race to the finish was still on, but it was tough for the player behind to catch up. Which underscores the point that you have to think about when to keep the fast forward cards and when to discard them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Tanja.

(Me and my daughter spent some (fun!) time together coloring all the cards for Three Little Ducks (and also her older brother helped out with one or a few cards). Will definitely play that before voting deadline.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed out your game for my grandson, I'm looking forward to playing it with him.
Thank You.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.