GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,981 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
90 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is this a board game night "violation'? Have it or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Y
msg tools
mb
I sent out Facebook requests to my friends so that I can host my 1st board game night. The majority of them were only available on Sundays. That's fine.... I am OK with that.

I have a 900 square foot finished attic that acts as our home theater room. So, there is a 65" TV in the room.

Two of the people said, "We will be there, but only if you have the football game on."

I don't know if I want people trying to watch TV while we are playing games. I love the Eagles, but if they are on during the game session ( really it is a day session, and not a night of gaming )I will DVR the game and watch it later.

One guy asked me if there is good internet on my 3rd floor so that he can keep track of his fantasy football teams.

With this being the case, I am thinking maybe I should wait until after football season before having a game night.

Only one person will be attending - if I have it - who is a very seasoned gamer. All the rest are folks who play things like Clue, Monopoly, Sequence.......

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i see two options:

put your foot down and don't have it on, which will weed out the people not interested in games

or go ahead and let everyone come, see how it goes, and then only invite the people who actually played games next time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't bother. It doesn't sound liike these folks will have their attention on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
My first reaction is to say wait until football season is over.

I could easily see players getting more invested in the game on TV than in the game they are supposed to be playing, especially since you mention some of the players are only casual gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb

Decide ahead of time if you will or won't, and make that decision explicitly clear in the invitation.

If you're playing lighter beer-and-pretzels games, then there's no reason not to have it on.

If you're playing things that you'd also be annoyed if someone was on their cell phones while you played, then likewise don't have it on.

~J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you should be hosting a football party instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your house and your invitation, so you should set the rules. You could politely say something like, "Sorry, this get-together is focused on board games, so I won't have the TV on. But I totally understand if you don't come. I'm sure we will connect again soon." Obviously, you run the risk of some people not showing up. If you are really intent on getting a good turnout, then I agree with the previous comments that you should wait until football season is over. As a big football fan and fantasy football lover, I never go to gaming events on Sundays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

With a shrug and a sigh, I would call it off and wait 'til after football season.... but I'd be wondering in the back of my mind if even then it would work out with this particular group.

Not to find fault, just recognizing that people are different, it seems that this group as a whole is not especially interested in board games in the first place. I think I might consider trying to spend time with each of these friends individually, to see how receptive they might be to learning and playing more advanced games, or even how fond they are of the games they already play, and then see if a larger game night might work out.

As things are now, it sounds to me that you'd just be setting yourself up for a frustrating and disappointing evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a couple super bowl gamer parties. Maybe somewhat surprisingly in our group all the guys like to game and the women are more into football. We had the game on and played games and it didn't really matter. But if you are inviting non-gamers to come play and then have something on that you know they are more interested in I see that as a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Bonilla
United States
Winneconne
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasoned gamers wanting the game on is one thing. Newbies? No. You're trying to expose them to games. Football will only be a distraction. Soo...nope out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would normally watch the game. They want to watch the game. Yes: Have a football party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Set up an overhead cam above the gaming table, and switch to that view when it's their turn

Casual gamers who sound like they're more into fantasy football and the Eagles game, vs. you, who would prefer to focus on the game itself.

I'd go with wallabywallaby's approach... if it's more so a social call, then by all means with allowing TV and wifi. If the games are the main focus, then mention the TV and wifi will be off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OldManMerton wrote:
Seasoned gamers wanting the game on is one thing. Newbies? No. You're trying to expose them to games. Football will only be a distraction. Soo...nope out.

^^^^^This.

Our game group is dedicated gamers, and we listen to the hockey game every night its on when we game. Its never an issue.

Tracking fantasy football during gamenight? That's more of a faux pas than watching/listening to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would shamelessly volunteer myself as a game night crasher if you were in my area.

The house is yours, guest should be respectful. Even if you have only one guest for game night, I would still have the event. It could be a great time. If you do not host, you will not know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would be terrible if there were split functions. After all, I've been to game meetups at bars, Whole Foods and other public places where people are doing different things.

That being said, the issue will be if people split their attention. For you and the other gamer, trying to play a game that includes people who will be getting up, watching the tv, and generally have their focus split, will just suck.

It wouldn't be an issue if people made a choice of the activities they want to do. Most likely the people watching tv still think of games as mindless activities that easily lend themselves to other things. So if they were fine grabbing their own game of Uno and heading off to a table near the tv, that would be fine.

The problem will come in when you have them at your table and are waiting on them to take their turn or explaining the rules over and over because they aren't paying attention.

So you just need to be clear what the expectations are. But it sounds like you'll mostly have to settle for a 2-player game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R F
msg tools
How long does a football game go for? Could you not watch the game then play board games (or start earlier, play some board games, then watch football?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Aahz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a problem with having the game on. I'd be happy to have people to play with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play board games while watching NFL games. What's the problem with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan McGuire
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Ack!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm surprised people can only do Sunday night. I hate doing anything Sunday night. I do not wait all day for Sunday Night, because that is just wishing Monday comes faster.

Anyway, I am reminded of a game we tried to play a long time ago (1980s?) called Armchair Quarterback. It was essentially a game that you played while watching football. The gist is that you would predict the next play. One would think it was the perfect blend of gaming and watching sports. Unfortunately, the attention you needed to make your pick before the real team did was such that it became a distraction to enjoying the sport. We would abandon the game after a few plays because we weren't involved as a spectator. My point is that watching sports is a low key event that is meant for shutting the brain down, drinking beer, eating chips, talking loudly about things you generally care nothing about, and occasionally passing gas.

Make Sunday a football party, and then move game night to any other night (except Thursday), and tell people they are still allowed to bring beer. Just no farting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played at days where the game was on in the background, it wasn't even an issue. I don't watch sports but some of the other guys wanted to keep up on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nighthawk326 wrote:
We play board games while watching NFL games. What's the problem with that?
Some folks don't like eurogame X taking twice as long, or an extra hour or 2 since watching the game detracts from an otherwise smooth game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Play on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably say to those two, "you should probably wait to come until the football season is over." That doesn't sound like so much of a criticism, and it focuses on the real point, which is that their priorities put football ahead of gaming (which is okay.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Spence
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not get 1st & Goal and play that during commercials?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Y
msg tools
mb
Sculder_8P wrote:

I'm surprised people can only do Sunday night. I hate doing anything Sunday night. I do not wait all day for Sunday Night, because that is just wishing Monday comes faster.

Anyway, I am reminded of a game we tried to play a long time ago (1980s?) called Armchair Quarterback. It was essentially a game that you played while watching football. The gist is that you would predict the next play. One would think it was the perfect blend of gaming and watching sports. Unfortunately, the attention you needed to make your pick before the real team did was such that it became a distraction to enjoying the sport. We would abandon the game after a few plays because we weren't involved as a spectator. My point is that watching sports is a low key event that is meant for shutting the brain down, drinking beer, eating chips, talking loudly about things you generally care nothing about, and occasionally passing gas.

Make Sunday a football party, and then move game night to any other night (except Thursday), and tell people they are still allowed to bring beer. Just no farting.

No, if you re-read, I said I called it game night, but really it was during the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.