Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am so confused on what to purchase as my next game. I have a few different things I want and will probably forget or be annoying but here is my list so far.

- Prefer to be minimum of 4 to 5 players. Hopefully supporting 6
- Something that game be finished under 2 hours (might be able to stretch to 2.5)
- Not a pure combat based game. Combat can definately be part of it but there has to be other options also. In fact I prefer to have combat part of it.
- Nothing extremly complex.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Options I have been considering.
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Imperial Settlers

I really wanted Xia: Legends of a Drift System but the price I had to pay to get it to Australia is out of my budget.

The mole theme seems interesting.
I like different ways to win a game

What are your suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Cyclades and Kemet are already on your radar. Good options if you'd like combat to be part of the game but not the whole part.

They only play up to 5 but I think with an expansion you can play more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they are but unsure if those two games would be played in this particular group.

They are an option though, thank you for the suggestion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any particular themes your group likes? I always find that's a good place to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No not really as the group is fairly new to boardgaming so unsure of what they all like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was thinking maybe of some sort of sand box game like Merchants & Marauders does this game always take longer than 2 hours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiryfoe Man
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
open the heart
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Wolf
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaliba wrote:
Was thinking maybe of some sort of sand box game like Merchants & Marauders does this game always take longer than 2 hours?

I have played Merchants and Maurauders with 3 + 4 players. 2 - 2.5 hours is normal for our group (read my wife and 8+10 year old boys). The more players you have, the longer it takes. The game is a lot of fun, but suffers a bit due to the down time between turns (especially as you add more players). I don't know if the expansion helps, as I have not played the game with the expansion yet. The down time is mitigated by more experienced players quickly making their decisions. Also, depending on how interactive (read attack each other) the players get, the down time feels less significant as there is more going on, more players involved and I find the battles exciting.

Hope that helps with some insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some good options for 5 and 6 players:

Lighter:
King of Tokyo
Citadels
Unnamed Object
Bohnanza
Colt Express
7 Wonders

Heavier:
RoboRally
Catan
Power Grid
El Grande

Also, if you don't mind doing print and play...
Container

And if you want something awesome and have 3-4 hours to spare:
Dominant Species

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers is a great game, but really it only plays up to four and is best at 2-3 since later turns can take awhile once players have built up their engines. How does your group know each other? Often, a group that doesn't have much experience with board games can enjoy those games where you recall the story of the game afterwards. This usually focuses on more thematic or American style games. Dead of Winter is a pretty good example of this that isn't too overwhelming for new players in my experience. Of course, some of the American style games require more of an outgoing personality because the person can be somewhat called upon to role play whereas real introverts don't have to do a lot of interacting while playing Stone Age or even Power Grid. With this in mind, are there themes your friends like? Superheroes? Zombies? Wine making? Pandas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.