Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaction: After a Lord or Lady character is killed, JB gains 1 power. (limit 3 times per round.)

Having played the first edition, my experience tells me that if Joffrey himself is killed, he gains a power before he leaves play so that if that is your 15th power, you win. Does this still happen in 2.0? We don't need to go into the old moribund rules to confuse the newcomers, but I seem to recall somewhere (though I can't find the text) that this was no longer possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that for this to work in 2.0 it would have to be an interrupt with some rewording to get rid of the "after". Or the reaction would have to mention something about being allowed to be used from out of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

myersd37 wrote:
...if Joffrey himself is killed, he gains a power before he leaves play so that if that is your 15th power, you win.

I'd say, "No", because he never gets the power. Here's my thinking:

Joffrey's card is clear that JB gains his power after a Lord or Lady is killed. And then page 11 (RR) says, "When a character is killed, it leaves play..." This sentence doesn't imply any sort of timing gap, while the sentence on Joffrey's card does.

IOW, the rule on page 11 implies that being removed from play is immediate - i.e., when the character is killed. It doesn't use phraseology such as, "after the character is killed remove it from play"... it says, "when the character is killed remove it from play".

But Joffrey's card on the other hand, says, "after a Lord or Lady is killed" which implies that the [JB] card has already been removed from play as part of the kill action, so it's too late to gain power from his ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myersd37 wrote:
Reaction: After a Lord or Lady character is killed, JB gains 1 power. (limit 3 times per round.)

Having played the first edition, my experience tells me that if Joffrey himself is killed, he gains a power before he leaves play so that if that is your 15th power, you win. Does this still happen in 2.0? We don't need to go into the old moribund rules to confuse the newcomers, but I seem to recall somewhere (though I can't find the text) that this was no longer possible.

That worked in 1.0 because Dead Joffrey (the best kind of Joffrey) was still on the table at Step 5 when Reactions occurred. As that is no longer the case in 2.0 (the aforementioned moribund rules being gone), Joffrey will not be hanging around the play area awaiting his transit to the dead pile to trigger it (see Rules Reference p.17: "Always resolve a triggering condition before initiating any reactions to that triggering condition.... After a triggering condition resolves, a reaction window for that triggering condition opens."). As already mentioned, it would have to be some form of Interrupt that triggered before he left play for him to be able to trigger his Reaction for his own death now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amuk wrote:
myersd37 wrote:

That worked in 1.0 because Dead Joffrey (the best kind of Joffrey) was still on the table at Step 5 when Reactions occurred. As that is no longer the case in 2.0 (the aforementioned moribund rules being gone), Joffrey will not be hanging around the play area awaiting his transit to the dead pile to trigger it (see Rules Reference p.17: "Always resolve a triggering condition before initiating any reactions to that triggering condition.... After a triggering condition resolves, a reaction window for that triggering condition opens."). As already mentioned, it would have to be some form of Interrupt that triggered before he left play for him to be able to trigger his Reaction for his own death now.

But that makes no sense. The interrupt CANCELLED his death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Amuk wrote:
myersd37 wrote:

But that makes no sense. The interrupt CANCELLED his death.

No interrupt cancelled anything related to what we're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
AFTER a Lord is killed.

He's killed, then he would get the power, but he can't because he's dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:

But that makes no sense. The interrupt CANCELLED his death. [/q]

Not all interrupts cancel death. In 2.0, Joffrey's ability would allow him to claim power from his own death if it read "Interrupt: When a Lord or Lady character would be killed, Joffrey Baratheon gains 1 power. (Limit 3 times per round.)" Because it is not an interrupt, however, he is not on the board when his reaction would be triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.