Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sometimes helps me to see a lot of different options when figuring out how to tailor my own custom inserts so I thought I'd post mine to help others out there trying to figure out the best solution.

I was able to fit everything from the Kicktarter edition of the game into the base box with less than half a centimeter to spare.

Board, age track, Valhalla sheet, player mats, and rulebook on top...obviously. I was able to fit all the player mats into the zip-lock that came with the Boar Clan or Ram Clan. I can't remember which one included it. I also think I might get the clan sheets, Valhalla sheet, and age track laminated so they'll last forever.

All the Clans in their individual box. Big monsters in their own box as well.

Gods expansion and small monsters divided in their own box with remaining clans on the bottom row.

Cards and tokens separated in their own box as well. I'll probably go back and put dividers in to separate the cards by age and also separate out the mystics cards and exclusive monsters cards. Cards are sleeved by the way.

I hope somebody finds this useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fantastic.
How would one go about building something like that? I have no experience with custom inserts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Wells
msg tools
mb
This looks awesome. Any chance you'd be able to share the dimensions of the boxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All you need is foam board, a metal ruler, tacky glue, some dress pins, and a can do attitude!
The box is 30x30x10 centimeters roughly so the clan boxes are 15x10x4.5, the big monster box is 15x15x9, the gods expansion and small monster box is 15x15x4, and the card and token box is 15x15x5. Don't be afraid to get creative. You might find you like a different layout better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skippy668 wrote:
That's fantastic.
How would one go about building something like that? I have no experience with custom inserts.

I've recently started doing my own inserts, too, and it's lots of fun. Just to elaborate on the answer you've been given, here are a couple of details that I learned via trial-and-error:

1) Make sure your metal ruler has a cork backing to prevent it from slipping while making straight cuts. And get a good length--too long is unwieldy and too short means you can't make a continuous cut. I suggest 60cm. (And get a self-healing cutting mat that is large enough to accommodate it.)

2) Clean cuts require two things: sharp blades and multiple passes. Foam core dulls blades really fast, so cheapest solution is a snap blade and a pack of replacement blades (I bought 100). Just break off a blade as soon as you feel resistance. I usually make 3 cuts each time (1 for first layer of poster board, 1 for foam, and last one for 2nd layer of poster board).

There are some great how-to videos on Youtube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to all of the great advice above, I have found that I prefer working with a more high-density foam board because it gives me much cleaner edges.

This image that I uploaded a while ago shows the difference:

The black board on top is the standard that you tend to come across. The white board below is the "high-density" version that I prefer. You can see the difference in both thickness, and how porous each is. In addition to the cleaner lines that you tend to get, because it's slightly thinner, you technically end up with a little more space for the components.

I don't know where to find it outside of Hobby Lobby, where I get mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty cool, Jeff. I shop at Hobby Lobby, and I wasn't aware that high density foam existed. I'll check it out. Big price difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the High Density come in black? I hate the look of the inserts I did with white foam core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.