Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I graduated from high school in '93, as in 1993.

I was one of the founding members of my school's gaming and anime clubs, yes, an all around geek - and I loved it.

We used to play games like GURPS, Champions, Spacehulk, WH40K and Talisman. We had a great time.

Well, after hs, and up until a few weeks ago, I was totally out of gaming, except for the video variety, and a year or so of spending way too much money on Magic cards.

My question is this - is right now considered a "good" time for gaming? Are we in a an era of great games, or have the CCG and other collectable games ruined things? Have they made things better by bringing in more money? What, in your opinion, is the state of gaming in the United States right now?

(When I was heavily into gaming, I never knew heard the terms Ameritrash and Eurosnoot before. However, I defintely had a preference )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have games that you enjoy and friends to enjoy them with... it's always a good time to be gaming.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pieters
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's ALWAYS a good time to be gaming!

Personally, I'm in a mix of everything. 2 card game groups, a Texas Hold'em Poker group, 2 groups of Euro-gamers, and a group which plays APBA baseball (MLB season simulator). I also enjoy play-by-web (PbW) sites, which are GREAT for trying some games before buying.

At home, we play everything, including Eurogames like O Zoo le Mio, Aladdin's Dragons, El Grande, and American games such as Marvel Heroes & Duel of Ages, and even oldies like Uno, Sequence, and yes, Monopoly, Life, Scrabble, etc.

Just find what you like, and enjoy the company of the other players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're having fun with friends, it's a good time to be gaming. Simply looking back to everything that has come before, you have a wider access to games than anytime in the past. Pick a few games that look fun, or that you like, and just enjoy yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up board gaming again last year. 2006 was my reunited gamer honeymoon and so it seems to continute in 2007. And of course in my honemoon phase I'm going to think "wow what a great time to be gaming!". My to buy list is unassailably long. My to play list is even longer. So many games, so little time!

To fan the flames of new found lusts I started playing out on Thursdays regularly last April at a local FLGS that caters mainly to CCGs and video gaming (internet Cafe style). They had a somewhat weakly attended board game night. No one there was really playing board games but myself and a small group, about enough to get off one game at a time.

But then I noticed something interesting just over the holidays. A lot of the staff and others at this store just started busting out Puerto Rico, Settlers, and Betrayal at House on the Hill, to name a few, and now they've been doing it for a few weeks now. I asked one of the staff about this recent turn in interest toward board games,

"Hey, I noticed there are a LOT more people playing board games around here lately. 6 months ago when I started coming here every Thursday it was no one but me and my small group, what gives?"

"Board games are hot!"

I took note and then proceeded with a vicious game of Power Grid. It now seems I've got quite a few more potential opponents than I used to on my Thursday nights now. I can't explain it, but It's a good time to be gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameGeek.com is reason enough alone to consider it a GREAT time to be gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Well i have recently got into gaming in 2005. This was due to my girlfriend giving me carcassonne! we still play it any chance we get. Ihadnt really played board games for about 7 or 8 years. But i have been a video gamer since i was 4, i have seen the decline in the quality of video games in my 15 years of video gaming. While i might be in the minority the games are getting better graphics while the game play is getting worse. Strategy games havent changed in 20 years so thats saying something. I find the added social contact much more enjoyable then sitting a a computer screen. Due to the fact we are growing up and have jobs we never have the 4 player romps on the ps2 anymore so video games are just not fun without the social contact. So hopefully when i get back to my hometown or settle in where i am currently i can get a group going to get to play games more often.

Hopefully i can get some of my most wanted games at the moment. Those being Talisman, Axis and Allies, Vanished Planet, Diplomacy and Twilight Struggle. While id also like to get zombies, viktory 2, the settlers of catan card game and Hour of glory.

The problem with having Boardgamegeek is seeing so many games i just want to play and have. With having not much money i cant get all of these and must choose the ones i like most! Which can be bloody hard as you would all know!

But i think anytime you have friends and have a game you all love is a great time to be gaming.

But it is harder to get people of my generation to sit down for a boardgame because they would much rather play a video game. They really dont know what they are missing! I suggest any parent with children should really limit video gaming and promote board gaming, there is nothing wrong with video gaming but it does promote anti social behaviour which is like books and tv in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My question is this - is right now considered a "good" time for gaming?

Nope. Times are bad. You should give up gaming now and save yourself. In order to help you I'm willing to take all the games in your collection off your hands...

Seriously I think this is a great time for gamers. I can't think of a time when there were more choices of games and game types to play. Not to mention how the internet has made it easier to find these games and like minded gamers.

If any aspect of gaming is suffering I would say it's the local mom and pop FLGS. Trying to keep a small business afloat is always tough. But in this current market of internet sales and huge gaming variety, it is especially hard to keep a FLGS running.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
BoardGameGeek.com is reason enough alone to consider it a GREAT time to be gaming.

Now this is true. This has to be one of the coolest most useful websites I have ever used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually a great time for gaming. There was a period where all of the good game stores were overun with Magic and Warhammer, which made it sometimes difficult to find other types of good games. Now with the heightened interest in games due to the designs coming out of Europe, it's pretty easy to get access to a ton of great titles. If you don't have a local store that carries good games, there are plenty of online retailers that carry most of the new stuff. BoardGameGeek makes it much easier to find out which games would most fit your play style and preferences, without wasting money on games that don't. Dive in now, my friend, and never look back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It strikes me as a great time for boardgaming. Lots of great OOP and hard-to-find stuff is now easier to get (Talisman, Die Macher, Ra, Taj Mahal, heck even the Splotter games); new game designers pop up seemingly out of nowhere with brilliant games (Chad Jensen, Mac Gerdts come to mind)... Prepainted minis are becoming gorgeous and cheap, and are being used in non-collectible games (AT-43, Tannhauser, Battlefiend: Evolution)...
Yeah, times are sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
I graduated from high school in '93, as in 1993.

I was one of the founding members of my school's gaming and anime clubs, yes, an all around geek - and I loved it.

We used to play games like GURPS, Champions, Spacehulk, WH40K and Talisman. We had a great time.

Well, after hs, and up until a few weeks ago, I was totally out of gaming, except for the video variety, and a year or so of spending way too much money on Magic cards.

My question is this - is right now considered a "good" time for gaming? Are we in a an era of great games, or have the CCG and other collectable games ruined things? Have they made things better by bringing in more money? What, in your opinion, is the state of gaming in the United States right now?

(When I was heavily into gaming, I never knew heard the terms Ameritrash and Eurosnoot before. However, I defintely had a preference )

Definitely!

I am a pretty young guy, played MTG for years (still do) and lots of other CCGs, and only really got into boardgaming about a year and a half ago. I have had a blast! I have no idea if you are like me or not, but from the games you used to play, I think we are alike in tastes. I don't really go for heavy Euro designs (stuff like Caylus, Puerto Rico, etc), but I do love dipping in that style. I really like games like Heroscape, the CCGs I played, Miniature games, and I am getting into stuff like Bloodbowl and other things. I would say its definitely a good time, especially since Talisman is being reprinted, which you should enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to confess that my first thought was that it's 12:15 AM locally; that's a bit late to start anything deep, but you could probably fit in a game of Ave Caesar or Carcassone if you wanted to.

But to answer your question, yes, it's a good time to be gaming. The demise of Avalon Hill has meant that a lot of smaller wargame companies have been allowed to blossom and create a lot of good new games. Eurogames have come on the scene, and have made a big impact on the boardgame world. RPGs are still hanging around and doing fairly well (rumor has it that WoTC will announce D&D 4.0 at GenCon), and yes, CCGs are still around (the World of Warcraft CCG has created a bit of a stir).

If you're pining for a few of the games of old, you might be out of luck. However, there's been a recent announcement of a Talisman 4.0 coming out, so you never know....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cason
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. If you have the right attitude about the games and relize that all that matters is the fun, than yes. This is a good time to be gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmb
As well as the great games and systems out there, it is fair to say that some mediocre stuff also gets published.

However with a site like the Geek we can be well informed and avoid most games that won't suit our own styles and tastes.

Like many I have been through my collectible phase and whilst I now look at these games with something bordering (no need to hammer me card flingers ) on contempt for their corporate ways and shameless money grabs, I am realistic enough to know that they have brought profile and economic viability to the industry.

Choice + more quality than rubbish + being informed = golden age of gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bulwyf wrote:
Quote:
My question is this - is right now considered a "good" time for gaming?

Seriously I think this is a great time for gamers. I can't think of a time when there were more choices of games and game types to play. Not to mention how the internet has made it easier to find these games and like minded gamers.

This makes me sometimes really sentimental.
Recalling a time, where the choices were a way poorer - but we spent so much time with one and the same game. We really discovered it.
Nowadays we are already looking forward to the next promising game, while rushing through a pile of fresh ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is a great time to be gaming.

And I wouldn't worry too much about silly terms like Eurosnoot and Ameritrash because only a very few people use them, and only then to be part of the gang.

Just enjoy the games, and the people you game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I won a 4 player game of Goa, and just missed a come back from a 800 point deficit in Tichu. Sunday was definitely a good time to be gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Franklin
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
I personally believe that now is an excellent time to be into gaming. I'm 26, and have been an avid player of video games most of my life. However, I've become jaded over the years, and have fairly recently gotten into board games (Magic is probably what got me back into it). Sure, when I was younger, I'd play an odd board game here and there, but it was usually one game every year or so.

I look at an endless sea of video games, and they all look the same to me. Sequels, clones, and bickering over which system has the better graphics has simply made me sick. I can count the number of video games I want on one hand. But board games... well, let's just say I'd have to get a new credit card if I were to buy all the games I want right now.

There's just a whole lot out there to play. So many different themes, mechanics, and ideas. Whereas board games have all these, video games are becoming more and more about appealing to as big a change-fearing audience as possible, rather than trying to bring more ideas to the table. I used to be able to play through a single 60-hour game in a few sittings, but nowadays I want more variety, and something that makes me want to play it over and over again.

In my opinion - board games are where it's at!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
theraje wrote:
I personally believe that now is an excellent time to be into gaming. I'm 26, and have been an avid player of video games most of my life. However, I've become jaded over the years, and have fairly recently gotten into board games (Magic is probably what got me back into it). Sure, when I was younger, I'd play an odd board game here and there, but it was usually one game every year or so.

I look at an endless sea of video games, and they all look the same to me. Sequels, clones, and bickering over which system has the better graphics has simply made me sick. I can count the number of video games I want on one hand. But board games... well, let's just say I'd have to get a new credit card if I were to buy all the games I want right now.

There's just a whole lot out there to play. So many different themes, mechanics, and ideas. Whereas board games have all these, video games are becoming more and more about appealing to as big a change-fearing audience as possible, rather than trying to bring more ideas to the table. I used to be able to play through a single 60-hour game in a few sittings, but nowadays I want more variety, and something that makes me want to play it over and over again.

In my opinion - board games are where it's at!

you sound like me, i have been a video gamer for 16 years now, and if any games are going backwards. The only thing that matters today is graphics. Rpg's for example have less content then games that are 10 to 20 years old. Strategy games havent changed in 20 years. Its all about grpahics and internet gaming these days, the games suffer. Your right there is no imagination left in video games. There has been nothing revolutionary in the video game world for 10 years or so. I really feel so old when i talk about video games.

nearly all my friends are coming off video gaming, not like me because ive had 6 years playing on them. But hopefully when they get right off them i can get them into board gaming and increase our greta hobby. There is one thing that video games will never have and thats the social interaction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time is a good time to be gaming.

When I saw the title I thought this would be a rant about people dying in Iraq and starving in Africa while we play Carcassonne or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.