BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Podcasts & Blogs

Subject: The Discriminating Gamer: Cody's Top 100 Games #80-71 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Carlson
msg tools
The Discriminating Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb

As Cody goes further down his list, more secrets will be revealed, and even more mysteries will present themselves. Can you accompany him on this journey without resorting to madness? Or will compassion triumph over hatred? Or do you just want to hear about some really cool tabletop games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job so far on the list.

I was initially surprised by Battlelore being so high (or is it low?) on the list, but then I remembered Memoir '44 is in that system and with the WW2 theme I'm sure it will be higher (or is it lower?).

I'm also curious to see if the shift in a lot of these early games is due to newer games being added, or just playing older games more and enjoying them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Carlson
msg tools
The Discriminating Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Great job so far on the list.

I was initially surprised by Battlelore being so high (or is it low?) on the list, but then I remembered Memoir '44 is in that system and with the WW2 theme I'm sure it will be higher (or is it lower?).

I'm also curious to see if the shift in a lot of these early games is due to newer games being added, or just playing older games more and enjoying them again.

Last year was the first year I made a top 100 list, so this year it provided me with a lot of reflection and the opportunity to go back and reassess a lot of those decisions. New games popping up changed a lot- frankly a lot more than I thought they would. Still, when I asked myself what games did I think we just more fun than others, this is what I came up with.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoying the list--some interesting shifts going on since last year!

Some games I think you'd really enjoy:
1960: The Making of the President--AWSOME
W1815--Innovative and quick playing
Quartermaster General--WWII Beer and Pretzels--light, but with teethcool
Breakout Normandy--a classic!!
--One of the first real war games I ever learned--RIP Avalon Hill Gamescry
Also--just because it's friggin' Star Trek:
Star Trek: The Original Series Longest Title in the World Deck Building Gamewow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Carlson
msg tools
The Discriminating Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhand wrote:
Really enjoying the list--some interesting shifts going on since last year!

Some games I think you'd really enjoy:
1960: The Making of the President--AWSOME
W1815--Innovative and quick playing
Quartermaster General--WWII Beer and Pretzels--light, but with teethcool
Breakout Normandy--a classic!!
--One of the first real war games I ever learned--RIP Avalon Hill Gamescry
Also--just because it's friggin' Star Trek:
Star Trek: The Original Series Longest Title in the World Deck Building Gamewow

As always, much thanks. I really want to hit 1960 at some point, that one has been on my "must play" list for too long, right alongside Cosmic Encounter. W1815 looks amazing. I hadn't even heard of that one before- thanks. I actually approached the people that publish Quartermaster General about a review copy, but they had a lot of unrealistic expectations from me, so I kind of lost interests in playing it. Breakout Normandy looks fun, but it also looks too long for most of my friends- they don't go in for the long wargames- and I'm out of practice now. I've got the Star Trek TOS Deck Builder, I just haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Thanks for the suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually approached the people that publish Quartermaster General about a review copy, but they had a lot of unrealistic expectations from me, so I kind of lost interests in playing it.

I'd seen it around, but it looked a little too much like a WWII cartoon game. I got it for 20 bucks on sale at MiniatureMarket; It wasn't even on my radar, so liking it was serendipitous to say the least.

Your reviews should be simply that--YOUR REVIEWS. Any expectations or qualifiers are unacceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Carlson
msg tools
The Discriminating Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhand wrote:
I actually approached the people that publish Quartermaster General about a review copy, but they had a lot of unrealistic expectations from me, so I kind of lost interests in playing it.

I'd seen it around, but it looked a little too much like a WWII cartoon game. I got it for 20 bucks on sale at MiniatureMarket; It wasn't even on my radar, so liking it was serendipitous to say the least.

Your reviews should be simply that--YOUR REVIEWS. Any expectations or qualifiers are unacceptable.

Danke, Sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.