Food Chain Magnate» Forums » General

Subject: 3rd edition improvements and another question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hello,
Any idea what those improvements will be?

Also, how good is it with 2p and how heavy the game is compared to antiquity?
I know that splotter games are supposed to be very heavy. I only played antiquity and to be frank, it flowed very nicely and didn't feel very heavy.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Hello,

Thanks

No idea about 2p, but I'd venture a guess that it is really better with more.

I'd also claim it's somewhat lighter (ruleswise and in fiddlyness) than Antiquity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased a copy in Essen and have played it 2 player only a few times. Here is my long winded response to your questions.

In terms of game weight, I don't really feel that the game is particularly heavy as far as Splotter titles go. There are meaningful decisions to make as you anticipate your competetor's plays, try to time things to obtain milestone cards, and manage the intricacies of your economic engine so that it can fire on all cyliders before the game ends. However, the rules overhead is very low and once you play a few turns the flow of the game becomes quite intuitive. I was able to teach my wife the game in 15 minutes and start playing. The game complexity also builds up as you play. Early turns are very simple and later turns can get much more complex. This helps ease players into the game and get them up and running without worrying about every small detail.

I believe this is reflected in some of the design choices that lead to the need for turn-to-turn tactical planning. In the game, customers will eat before marketing campaigns trigger. This means that if a customer wanted 1 hamburger at the start of a turn, you can play a card to make 1 hamburger and be able to safisfy that house. Things could have gotten much more difficult to plan if the designers had chosen to trigger marketing campaigns before the customers eat out. The game also allows you to hire a person and immedietly train them up a level in the same turn. This design also eliminates any sort of "multi-player" solitare feeling in the game very early, because your opponents will have easily accessible ways to interupt your engine.

Compared to other Splotter titles like Antiquity or Roads & Boats this game feels less heavy to me and is certainly less fiddly. In those games (which I love) I feel more of a pressure for strategic long term planning and less tactical turn by turn play. While Food Chain Magnate certainly has both, it has elements of tactical play that I think make is easier to wrap your head around. There is still plenty of meaty decisions as you try to predict what your opponents are doing each turn.

We have felt that it plays well with two players because the board setup is smaller at this player count (9 tiles). Because the tile distribution in the box is equal in terms of tiles with houses without houses, on average you will have 4-5 starting houses on the board for 2 players. Also most tiles are able to be reached quite early on this small of a map. Initially this means that both players can choose to specilize and do their own thing, but quite quickly you will start encroaching on each other's territory and fighting over customers. Once one player tries to slow down their opponent's pizza empire by putting up a lemonade billboard next to that pizza loving family, all bets are off!

I would say that with 2 players it is a head-to-head chess match as each player tries to outposition, outsmart, and outplay their opponent to make the most money. I have never played it with more players, but I can imagine that the competition would only ramp up with more players. We very much like it with two players and could recommend it, but my honest feeling would be that the game would be even better at higher player counts. However, one wonderful thing about the 2 player experience is the relatively quick playtime (as far as Splotter games go). There is a great gameplay experience to be had in a resonable 2 hour timeframe. Because turns are played by players one at a time and turns later in the game can get quite intricate, the play time will certainly increase with more players. This may not be a bad thing because you are heavily invested in seeing what your opponents are doing on their turn, but it does take the game into a longer category that might turn away some gamers.

Long story short, it is a great game. You have head to head decision making, an engine building feel, back and forth competition, and hamburger meeples! If you can stomach the high price and enjoy other Splotter titles, I don't think you can go wrong here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for the thorough reply.
Last question, how is the replayability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have enough plays to give a definitive answer, but I can give you an idea.

The main element for replayability is the random selection, rotation, and layout of the map tiles each game. This may sound minor, but our experience has been that these map configurations have a big impact on how the game is played. You can end up with strange houses not connected to anything useful, a giant city grid with everything connected, amazing paths for collecting drinks, or houses positioned so close that billboards are triggereing on two houses. All of these things really change your strategies and the feel.

There are also many options to explore in terms of engine building that would lead to replayability on the same map. I think I could play the exact same map layout 10 times with the same people and not get bored. Add in the fact that there are lots and lots of map combinations and you can see the replayability.

In many ways you could compare this game to a deck builder like Dominion or many similar games. There are obvious differences, but in both games you are acquiring cards and building an engine to score points/money. In Dominion only a portion of the cards are selected for each game, so replayability comes from discovering the best combos for a given set of cards. In this game the same cards are out every time so one could think that the game can be "solved". This isn't true however. Each player can devlop their favorite opening strategy (ex: get an early freezer, get the $15 salary discount from an early training), but this will need to be adapated each game based on the strategies of the other players and the board layout.

I think there is plenty to get this game back to the table over and over. You will always end the game saying something like "Argh..if I had only put out that mailbox campaign one turn earlier" and want to play again to see if you can optimize more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Hello,
Any idea what those improvements will be?

I know that splotter games are supposed to be very heavy. I only played antiquity and to be frank, it flowed very nicely and didn't feel very heavy.

Thanks

Has anybody ever mentioned that there will be improvements in the 3rd printrun. I assume it is just another print run with no changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
Has anybody ever mentioned that there will be improvements in the 3rd printrun. I assume it is just another print run with no changes.

We're planning to correct some typos and misprints. As we're still in that process, I don't have a list of improvements yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:

It's been mentioned by Splotter themselves on their website page of FCM.

We are working on a 3rd reprint with some small improvements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
ringo84 wrote:

We're planning to correct some typos and misprints. As we're still in that process, I don't have a list of improvements yet...

Is there a list of typos and misprints somewhere? I have the game and I'm keen to play correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the FAQ/errata lists most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
I think the FAQ/errata lists most.

Where is this errata/FAQ list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQs about FCM
Small errata
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
Come to the dark side we got cookies.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish we would get milestones on the menu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
The German version had them, and it seemed very odd that they were not on the English version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
PaulGrogan wrote:
The German version had them, and it seemed very odd that they were not on the English version.

Isn't the German and English versions the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

I meant the German version of the player aid. It was better than the English one. Both came in the box, but english one didnt have milestones on the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Badigel wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

I meant the German version of the player aid. It was better than the English one. Both came in the box, but english one didnt have milestones on the back.

Yeah I know it just doesn't make sense I hope they will make the english versions just like the german ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
zebani200 wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
Badigel wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

Yeah I know it just doesn't make sense I hope they will make the english versions just like the german ones.

You can write to them, I'm pretty sure they will listen.

BUT, I'm almost certain that the 3rd printing has already been printed and it is too late.

BUT, won't hurt to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zebani200 wrote:

There will be .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
bpierce72 wrote:
There is still plenty of meaty decisions

I see what you did there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer cheesy tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
zebani200 wrote:

There will be .

heartheartheart
Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The third printing rules and player aids are up in the file section.

For the rest, the only real change is that we fixed the counters (radio and mailboxes have the infinity symbols on the back), and added the dots to the 6. and 9. numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on when thr 3rd edition will be shipped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Re: Any update on timing and progress on third printing?:

joriswiersinga wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have just processed all the orders up to #2008, checked all payments, etc. If there is something wrong, you will have had an email. Each order's status has been changed to "Pending Shipment", but I am told this status is not visible on your end of the interface.

We are waiting for the last couple of components (the player menus) which are arriving on the 22nd-- there was a small delay as the menus are printed on a special type of paper which was not available when we wanted to start printing. We originally planned to have everything printed & packed this week.

After the 22nd, the games need to be packed and then they will be shipped. We have sold 93% of the print run already, so we have a lot of packages to ship out. As a number of people in the shipping company are on holiday, I am not sure how fast we can pack and ship. We will try to ship in the order in which the orders came in. I suspect we will start shipping in December, but will not have eveything shipped until the 2nd week of January or so. The shipping company is trying to get additional people to come and help, but not sure this will work out.

I will try to keep everyone updated here. I will also update the individual orders, but this will be about 2 weeks delayed, as I wait for the shipping manifest to arrive from the shipping company before updating the orders.

We still have no way to automatically add tracking codes to the orders. If we want that, we need to change the website provider so they can integrate with the Dutch post service. I will get the tracking codes about 2 weeks after the games have shipped. In most countries, you will only be able to see the package moving through the Netherlands, then it disappears from view until it is delivered. Shipping can take between 5 days to 5 weeks to most places in Europe, the US and Asia.

Hope this helps,

Merry Christmas,

Joris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.