Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil McPeake
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi gaming community,
Sorry if I'm being thicker than a whale omelette here;

I saw this game at Essen and liked the theme and idea, but when I saw that the game only had components (i.e. the cube/dice things) for 2 players, I walked away as I already have lots of 2 players games I rarely play (i'd rather play with more people).

But the description here on BGG states 2-4 players. Do the cubes/dice get divided between the 4 players, or do you need multiple copies of the game? Is there an upgrade pack with the extra pieces, etc?

Thanks in advance BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gere Patrick
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hello

The cubes get divided between the 4 players
A four kumo is a collaborative team play

See rules here : http://www.lesaventuresludiques.com/regles-kumo-hogosha/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bodart
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

Here the link (http://morning-family.com/games/kumo-hogosha) from the Publisher : Morning Players. You could find a lot of informations.

Please don't hesitate to ask your questions.

Best Regards

Nicholas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't find the rules for 4P very clear, in particular how actions are shared.

The team has 8 actions to share between them, but how are they divided? Who decides, and when? What's to stop one player taking 7 actions and leaving just the mandatory action for the other person?

Unrelated question, but when you capture an enemy kumotori, do you get the extra action immediately (in the same turn), or do you have to wait until next turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wondered about your unrelated question. We have been taking the action on the same turn. We do this because it's easier to keep track of the extra points. My son and I would forget to take the extra action(s) when we waited until our next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the rule regarding Imprisoning in the rulebook: "remove the Kumotori from the Rotating Arena and place it into your Prison and gain an action this turn."

Also, the rules update answers a question about extra actions:
How do I get additional actions?
"Whenever you push an opponent’s Kumotori off the Rotating Arena you get one
additional action for each removed Kumotori. You are entitled to this (these) additional
action(s) until your opponent retrieves his Kumotori from your prison.
You lose one extra
action for each Kumotori recovered by your opponent." The underlined portion implies immediate use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding 4-players. You're right the rules do not structure how moves should divided. I assumed it was split 50/50 or at the least, moving cubes on your half of the Rotating Arena. I guess it depends on who your playing with. I think a 50/50 split of actions is implied with the 50/50 split of the Kumotori cubes.

I found it, thanks rulebook:
B) PLAYING THE GAME
Each team performs a total of 8 actions (plus up to 2
bonus actions from imprisoned Kumotori) each round.

Each player in the team must take between 3 and 5
actions per turn,
spending those actions from the team’s
pool of actions. The mandatory action of Turning the
Rotating Arena only needs to be performed by one of
the team’s players.

Each team can only imprison up to 2 opponent Kumotori.
When performing the Freeing from Prison action, place
the freed Kumotori on the Player Board of the team
member with the fewest Kumotori on their board.

I think I read somewhere that the imprisoned Kumotori in a 4-player game go to one prison per team regardless of which team member imprisoned it. But who get the extra action? Does it go to the team to divvy up or the team member that performed the capture?

Your question is valid, does the game offer a true 4-player experience, or is it 4 people playing a 2-player game? I haven't played any 4-player games so I can't offer any insight. It would be interesting to see a truer 4-player game with each player controlling 6 Kumotori. This would definitely increase (double or triple) the gameplay time, but would also offer more chaos and action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bodart
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hello all

With a team play every team get 8 actions. At the beginning go every team turn, the first player of the team decide of the number of actions he wants to do. With the constraint of playing a minimum of 3 actions and a maximum of 5 actions.

It is advisable to not disclose « out loud » your strategy and your number of actions.

The additional actions are immediately available.

The first version of the 4-players Kumo was a 2 players version with 4 players at the table. Which was useless in my opinion.
That’s why the 4-players version offers a real 4-players experience
I do not recommend to do a 4 players play for a first try of Kumo.

Kind regards

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation!

I have a follow-up question. Let's say I'm first player and I choose to do only 3 actions. The opponents take a turn, and then it is my partner's turn. He has 5 actions available. For one of his five actions, he throws an enemy kumo out of the arena, getting him a bonus action which he can use immediately. But if he uses it, that would be his SIXTH action and would take him over the maximum action limit (which is five).

What happens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, good question Mike. The rule says a player can take a max of 5 actions. You would loose the action. This would increase team strategy since you would have to plan ahead if Kumotori are in position to be imprisoned. That would back up what Nicholas said about the current 4-player rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.