Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
simon rorke
South Africa
Sandton
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a bit confused here, I know on the game map there is space for 2 more factions and I know the designer said the game will still be limited up to 5 players.

Do we know if the other factions will be available during this kickstarter ? Also how extensively tested have the extra factions been?

If there are expansions is it only limited to two new factions or will there be other expansions such as different mechs for each faction?

I am just asking cause I would like to spend more money >.<

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Medina
Spain
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion won't be ready until later, and probably will be released directly to shops. At least that is what we were told in the comments page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, despite the map and world being designed from the start to fit seven factions, neither of the two missing factions have been designed yet, and everything said by the designer indicates that they definitely will not be made available during the Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just add official confirmation:
- The expansion factions have not been designed yet.
- They'll not be a part of the Kickstarter.
- They might be released directly to retail instead of going through Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon rorke
South Africa
Sandton
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick response. While a bit disheartening as I am the type of person that wants every expansion for every game I have, those CMON Kickstarters hurt me. I look forward to the game's success and how it gets taken further
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
I'll just add official confirmation:
- The expansion factions have not been designed yet.
- They'll not be a part of the Kickstarter.
- They might be released directly to retail instead of going through Kickstarter.

It's a bit sad they aren't ready for the KS, they would be amazing SGs, but at least I really hope they go directly to retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Rebelo
Portugal
Porto
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why not put the game map with 5 factions and not other 2 that will only arrive in a uncertain future?
When the other 2 arrived they could be with a new map this one with the 7 factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aragami1982 wrote:
Why not put the game map with 5 factions and not other 2 that will only arrive in a uncertain future?
When the other 2 arrived they could be with a new map this one with the 7 factions.

Various reasons have been given for this (not needing to replace the board, one faction has a special ability that uses not-active faction starting spaces) but of course it just comes down to money. Anyone who buys Scythe will probably buy the expansion, with those two great big start icons staring at them on the board, so it's a nice guarantee of further income down the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if i'm gonna buy the expansion though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aragami1982 wrote:

I think that having two extra hexes on the board is a small price to pay for not having to rebuy the game board (which is quite large) in an expansion and for not making the expansion box huge.

The two extra hexes are also needed for the faction ability of the Crimean faction.

Disclosure: I'm a Stonemaier employee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Aragami1982 wrote:

Various reasons have been given for this (not needing to replace the board, one faction has a special ability that uses not-active faction starting spaces) but of course it just comes down to money. Anyone who buys Scythe will probably buy the expansion, with those two great big start icons staring at them on the board, so it's a nice guarantee of further income down the line.

That's one way to look at it. Another is that adding two additional factions would increase the price point by adding material cost and add months of development time making people wait longer for a game that they're eager to play. By reducing the initial cost, it gives consumers a way to try out the game for themselves and see if it merits further investment in it. Cynicism is healthy, but that doesn't always mean it is warranted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJStudley wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
Aragami1982 wrote:

That's one way to look at it. Another is that adding two additional factions would increase the price point by adding material cost and add months of development time making people wait longer for a game that they're eager to play. By reducing the initial cost, it gives consumers a way to try out the game for themselves and see if it merits further investment in it. Cynicism is healthy, but that doesn't always mean it is warranted.

Yeah, maybe if there wasn't also all the talk of a fully-realised world (usually in response to "why isn't the board modular?" questions) I might have bought this. As it is, I'm left asking why anyone would start with a fully-realised world that includes seven factions and then make a game with five? There are several possible answers, of which yours is one and the most popular seems to be "it's a five-player game", but I think I'll remain cynical, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:

Yeah, maybe if there wasn't also all the talk of a fully-realised world (usually in response to "why isn't the board modular?" questions) I might have bought this. As it is, I'm left asking why anyone would start with a fully-realised world that includes seven factions and then make a game with five? There are several possible answers, of which yours is one and the most popular seems to be "it's a five-player game", but I think I'll remain cynical, thanks.

No worries. I wasn't optimistic that I would be able to change your mind and I appreciate your right to remain skeptical. Fwiw, the five player game limit has more to do with downtime than anything else. It could probably be played with more than five, but players wouldn't be happy with it, so the designer had to be forthright about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it, the fact that the expansions aren't designed yet just means that we get to start playing Scythe sooner and still get to look forward to more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben: "As it is, I'm left asking why anyone would start with a fully-realised world that includes seven factions and then make a game with five?"

It's a fair question. Mechanically and budgetarily it's already been answered above, but thematically the idea is that the 5 factions have been fighting over the land for a while, giving the other two factions time to travel from afar.

From a game design perspective, designing a game with this much asymmetry with 5 factions was hard enough as is, much less adding 2 more. I certainly kept those factions in mind as I was designing the board, but I knew it wasn't time to fully design them yet.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, though. If you'd prefer to wait a year or two for the expansion before buying the retail base game, no harm done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Ben: "As it is, I'm left asking why anyone would start with a fully-realised world that includes seven factions and then make a game with five?"

It's a fair question. Mechanically and budgetarily it's already been answered above, but thematically the idea is that the 5 factions have been fighting over the land for a while, giving the other two factions time to travel from afar.

From a game design perspective, designing a game with this much asymmetry with 5 factions was hard enough as is, much less adding 2 more. I certainly kept those factions in mind as I was designing the board, but I knew it wasn't time to fully design them yet.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, though. If you'd prefer to wait a year or two for the expansion before buying the retail base game, no harm done!

Except for the financial harm you're doing to yourself by waiting. The Kickstarter is the cheapest copy of Scythe you're likely to ever see, especially since it comes with all the promo packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.