GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,641 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Entropy: The Ronin expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Preemptive: Is the resolved action played? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
When you resolve Preemptive, you get to resolve an action from your hand. Is that action also played? That is, it is placed in front of you, so that it is no longer available to use in a later turn of the round? (I guess it is considered played, but just want to be sure.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Chang
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you resolve Preemptive, you pick an action from your hand and play it in front of you. Since the Preemptive action is played at the same time all other actions are revealed, you now know exactly what everyone is playing, allowing you to make an informed choice to what action you want to actually play. Note that normal clash rules still apply.

Scenario Example

James is playing the Ronin, Mack is playing Cenec and Spencer is playing Kintriel.

James chooses [1] Preemptive, Mack chooses [5] Phase Shift and Spencer chooses [4] Eye of the Storm.

Everyone reveals their action. Jame's Preemptive resolves first. James picks Phase Shift as part of the resolve action. Mack goes next and his Eye of the Storm resolves. Spencer goes last but since James played Phase Shift, her action is considered clashed.

Preemptive Tactics

Preemptive allows the Ronin to make an informed choice. However, he still needs to play by the universe's rules. While he can't stop his actions from being clashed, he can really use this to his advantage. The obvious tactic would be to play this unique action to remove the possibility of a wasted action. However, it could also be used to force a clash, either to take advantage of the Fracture Event or to actively stop someone from playing their action to get ahead.

I hope that answers your question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the reply.

I asked the question because I believe the Preemptive card says to "resolve" another action, not to play it. (I don't have the game with me at the moment to check it.) Although you don't say so explicitly, I infer from your saying that James "played Phase Shift" that he cannot then play Phase Shift again in a later turn (of the same round), which was the question I was asking. If you reprint the game, I think it would be clearer to say "play" rather than "resolve" on the Preemptive card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.