GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,198 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming Articles » Musings On

Subject: Names used in examples - are they getting sillier? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

In "The Old Days" when rules could be bothered to provide examples, the players were generally referred to using such names as 'Player A' and 'Player B' or maybe 'the attacking player' or 'the active player'.

Then they got friendlier and instead of Players A and B they were given real names like Henry, George or Steven. This quickly moved forward to include women's names as well which allowed pronouns to differentiate between players in the text (not just more inclusive but more useful).

Then they got inventive.

'Sebastian, LeJean and Skyler are sitting down to play...'

'Heinrich, Abdul, Mao Bao and Keezheekoni are in a games cafe playing....'

Are writers being silly or trying to be more inclusive? Should I feel embarrassed if my group consists of names such as Mark, Paul, Paul, Richard and Maria?

Has anyone else noticed this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. I say we need a geeklist of names used in these examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I mean what kind of silly names are these, who on earth would call their kid Abdul?

Yes they are trying to be more inclusive.

Some examples of damn silly names (will people stop putting them in games), all based on the fact my group has no one with these names.

Aaron
Agis
Alessio
Chip
Dori
Dorlon
Eduardo
François
Fritz
Jervis
Reiner
Ty
Werner
Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Schoukroun
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that in the 7 Wonders Duel rulebook, the two example player are Bruno and Antoine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
Are writers being silly or trying to be more inclusive?

Same thing with the progression from "he" to "she" and (grammatically confusing) "they". That somehow the old method was insensitive.

Quote:
Should I feel embarrassed if my group consists of names such as Mark, Paul, Paul, Richard and Maria?

How would you feel if the rules said John, Paul, George, and Ringo ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
caracfergus wrote:

Same thing with the progression from "he" to "she" and "they". That somehow the old method was insensitive.

Quote:
Should I feel embarrassed if my group consists of names such as Mark, Paul, Paul, Richard and Maria?

or Nasty, Stig, Dirk and Barry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Popular names have changed quite a bit in my lifetime. When I was in grammar school, kids were named John, Mike, Jim, Eddie, Carol, Mary, Debbie . . . there weren't any kids named Parker (unless it was a last name), Justin, Brittany, Ashley, Taylor (unless it was a last name) . . . So, when I read various names in rulebooks, I usually assume they are currently "trending" names for various countries (or the names of the designers). By the time I finish reading the example, I forget the names anyway. (I'm terrible at remembering names).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ygor
Romania
Transylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Nope.

To all your ?s

caracfergus wrote:

In "The Old Days" when rules could be bothered to provide examples, the players were generally referred to using such names as 'Player A' and 'Player B' or maybe 'the attacking player' or 'the active player'.

Then they got friendlier and instead of Players A and B they were given real names like Henry, George or Steven. This quickly moved forward to include women's names as well which allowed pronouns to differentiate between players in the text (not just more inclusive but more useful).

Then they got inventive.

'Sebastian, LeJean and Skyler are sitting down to play...'

'Heinrich, Abdul, Mao Bao and Keezheekoni are in a games cafe playing....'

Are writers being silly or trying to be more inclusive? Should I feel embarrassed if my group consists of names such as Mark, Paul, Paul, Richard and Maria?

Has anyone else noticed this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Smith
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I always liked Alice, Bob, Carol, etc. which are example names used for computing topics. They're very old-fashioned now.

I prefer a wider variety of names in rulebooks if only because it makes it more interesting to imagine different people playing the game. It's nice if the names follow a pattern like A, B, C, or fit in with the theme of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pancakemetro wrote:
I always liked Alice, Bob, Carol, etc. which are example names used for computing topics. They're very old-fashioned now.

Once upon a time Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice were very new-fashioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the designers/developers/editors using the real names of playtesters?

Who am I to call one's name "silly".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Info
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
TVis wrote:
caracfergus wrote:

Same thing with the progression from "he" to "she" and (grammatically confusing) "they". That somehow the old method was insensitive.

Quote:

The rules of Bretagne use John, Paul, George and Ringo as player names
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Names are getting much more non traditional with each passing year. I work with kids and here are some names.

Mateo
Jacyler
Graciela
Yaritsa
Giovanni
Raina
Yesenia
Jara
Aiva
Avah
Maile
Kaydance
Chere
Itati
Janae

This is just a small sample. Some of them are throw backs to past family names, but a lot of them are new made up things to seem a little different and stick out I imagine. I don't think there is a trend of silliness in game rules really, just a sign of the changing of the times. People want there children to be different than everyone else and names like that help differentiate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Quick

Austin
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure many "unusual" names are less unusual in Europe, where a lot of games are created.

I work with game designers named Bruno, Antoine, Guillaume, and Etienne. Their friends and significant others have similarly "exotic" names. If you come across an unusual name in example text, skim the playtester/special thanks credits. You can often see the same names there.

It will seem strange to an American audience, but often it isn't so much people trying to be silly or inclusive, as it is designers name-checking their friends.

[edit for spelling]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the names we use for each other beginning with "A", "B", "C", and "D" may not be appropriate for in-game examples...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
pancakemetro wrote:

Once upon a time Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice were very new-fashioned.

A "cutting edge" movie in its time that seems very tame today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
 Zero funds set aside for the study and preservation of
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
I wrote an example using the names Peter, Susan, Edmund and Soraya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat FR
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
and (grammatically confusing) "they"

I am not sure why you find the singular 'they' grammatically confusing - it has been in use for 500+ years and adds a perfectly usable genderless pronoun to the language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matfr wrote:
TVis wrote:
and (grammatically confusing) "they"

I am not sure why you find the singular 'they' grammatically confusing - it has been in use for 500+ years and adds a perfectly usable genderless pronoun to the language.

I can't speak to more than a fraction of those 500 years, but if you have that kind of background knowledge then I'm surprosed that you're surprised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Carlson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
They've become more modern and culturally inclusive. It doesn't matter if two players in an example are named Princess Fairy Twinkle Toes and Sir Pony Prance-a-lot as long as the names are used consistently and the example adequately conveys the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added titles to the names in my recent rulebook. It's a sci-fi game so I think it fits!

Captain Niven, Ensign Moeller, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
I've added titles to the names in my recent rulebook. It's a sci-fi game so I think it fits!

Captain Niven, Ensign Moeller, etc

I hope there is a Captain Pournelle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.