8 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 quick questions concerning tests and Shub Niggurath [RESOLVED] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
manuel p
msg tools
Hey guys [RESOLVED]

I've been playing the game for a few months now and yesterday a buddy and I stumbled across the following problems:

1) Tests
Lets say my investigator has to resolve a strength test (-2) while having 1 strength and an ally that gives 1 bonus die. How many dice is he allowed to roll?

The rulebook gives a specific sequence:
1) check skill, so that would be 1
2) add/substract modificator, here it becomes interesting, does this reduce the 1 strength to a value -1 or does it stop at 1, since you can't go below 1 die?
3) add improvementmarker
4) add effects
5) add bonus dice

So in my example, the investigator could either resolve the strength test with 1 or 2 dice.

That being said, so far we have played it the way that the investigator only gets 1 die. We simply added up all bonuses and substracted the modificator afterwards.

2) Second question concerns Shub Niggurath. When she awakens her sheet flips and the rulebook says the backside replaces the front page, but then the next paragraph tells us that you still need to beat three mysteries before solving the final mystery. When comparing it to the Cthulhu awakened page, Shubb Niggurath does not say you have to resolve 3 mysteries first before solving the final mystery. Is it correct, that when playing against Shub Niggurath you could simply avoid solving mysteries and focus on gearing up some strong fighters to just fight her off in the heart of Africa when she awakens?

Thanks for taking the time and reading this wall of text, I hope I could explain my question coherently.

RESOLVED:
1) Covered in the FAQ: add up all bonuses then substract modificator.
2) I need to learn to read the backside of epic monsters. You need to resolve 3 mysteries in order to even touch Shub Niggurath
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2 quick questions concerning tests and Shub Niggurath
1. I think the investigator should roll 2 dice because you can't go below 1 die.
2. Notice that the epic monster Shub-Niggurath can't take any damage until 3 mysteries have been solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TeppicamonXXVIII wrote:
1. I think the investigator should roll 2 dice because you can't go below 1 die.
2. Notice that the epic monster Shub-Niggurath can't take any damage until 3 mysteries have been solved.

Agreed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manuel p
msg tools
TeppicamonXXVIII wrote:

Wow, I totally missed that. I guess after fighting for over 3 hours I got too tired to read the monster token properly. Thanks so much for helping me!

Back to my frist question: But then lets say I had an improvement marker for strength, would you still say 2 die or even 3 die, because of the sequencing in the rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
TeppicamonXXVIII wrote:

Agreed

Disagreed (for the first question)

You do all of the maths first THEN decide whether you are below 1 die rolled or not.

The rule is not "you never go below 1 when calculating dice rolled" the rule is that an investigator always rolls a minimum of 1 die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disagreed (but agreed with Bert). Your modifier can go to 0 or negative. If it ends up 0 or negative, then you still roll one die.

So in the above case, you definitely roll only one die. I'm fairly sure this is covered in the FAQ, but I'm not able to check it right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manuel p
msg tools
Clipper wrote:
Disagreed (but agreed with Bert). Your modifier can go to 0 or negative. If it ends up 0 or negative, then you still roll one die.

So in the above case, you definitely roll only one die. I'm fairly sure this is covered in the FAQ, but I'm not able to check it right now.

you are right, I just found it thanks to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The faq covers this.

You only check the "minimum 1 die" once all modifications have been calculated.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/3b/54...

Quote:
Q. When does the minimum-one-die-on-tests rule apply?
A. When resolving a test, the investigator, first, calculates his
dice pool. That is, he adds together his skill, Improvements, test
modifier, bonuses, and additional dice. Then he rolls his dice
pool. At this point, if his dice pool is zero or fewer dice, he rolls
one die instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.