Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » Rules

Subject: Turn over card, test right away rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you flip over a card can you do the check right aeay or must you wait until next turn?

(Do you spend one time unit for for flipping and one for staying there to do the test?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
When you flip over a card can you do the check right aeay or must you wait until next turn?

(Do you spend one time unit for for flipping and one for staying there to do the test?)

You spend a TU to give everyone an action. That action can be to do a single check roll or move to a different card or nothing.

So to answer your question, No you don't do the check without spending TU. You look at the card you're on for free but can't do anything else without spending TU.

If you gain a state token while you're in the location that applies to another card there, this replaces your card and you can look at that one for free.

Edit: also to clarify. You don't spend TU to place your marker the first time. That was spent in the die roll. Moving to a different card after the first costs a TU.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoodley
United Kingdom
Leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know the rules state that, but it means that an area you are in where you must group together will take a LOT of TU to explore???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoods wrote:
I know the rules state that, but it means that an area you are in where you must group together will take a LOT of TU to explore???

I think I know which part you're referring to. If it keeps giving you state tokens that are also in the location then no, that doesn't cost TU since you don't move to the card, the card replaces the one you're at. So card G with the same state token is now the new card B that just gave you the state token. That's explained on page 14 and also reminded on page 18.

Edit. If it doesn't give you a state token but card A says you can't do card C until you pass card B and those cards have 4 pawns on them, then yes that costs a TU to move between them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card tells you to move to a specific new location (say, "then proceed to Location 15"), must you roll the TU die for that movement?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
When a card tells you to move to a specific new location (say, "then proceed to Location 15"), must you roll the TU die for that movement?

That should be answered by the designers in a FAQ at some point. I've assumed it doesn't since going to the day room from the base would cause you to roll and spend TU before you had a chance to act. Although I should reread the base card and the other cards to see if they have the same type of wording.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We assumed that you have to roll it but it was not clear to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We also assumed that whenever the team moves, it takes some time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Poulpe
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
You roll the Time Captain die when you move from a location to another location, even if the movement is mandatory.

The base is not a location (as it's not on a plan), so moving from the base to a location (at the beginning of each run) does not trigger the Time Captain roll.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Bretschneider
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
Kind of going off this question I was wondering how other groups spend time units. To me the rules are a little vague about when exactly you move the TU marker.
I am asking specifically for cards that do not have you test anything, but still give you rewards such as items or information.
During the consult a card step you would flip the card over read it and see that, without doing anything you would get an item. At this point do you automatically get the item? Do you have to proceed to the next phase of spending time units and pick the action of do nothing to receive the item? Do you have to spend TU to interact with the card and thus get the item, or because there is no test you just get the item without having to spend TU's? The former seems a bit harsh, while the later seems to not be in the spirit of the game.
As an example

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the Day room of the the Asylum, the first room in the game. No card has you make a roll. Every card gives you valuable information and one even gives you an item. To get this item do you have to spend a TU?


I was wondering if anyone has gotten an official ruling on this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you can switch location after reading the cards (without test).
See here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20748713#20748713
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
taraba wrote:
Stoods wrote:
I know the rules state that, but it means that an area you are in where you must group together will take a LOT of TU to explore???

I think I know which part you're referring to. If it keeps giving you state tokens that are also in the location then no, that doesn't cost TU since you don't move to the card, the card replaces the one you're at. So card G with the same state token is now the new card B that just gave you the state token. That's explained on page 14 and also reminded on page 18.

Edit. If it doesn't give you a state token but card A says you can't do card C until you pass card B and those cards have 4 pawns on them, then yes that costs a TU to move between them.


Wait, I thougt that if a card said "... reveal [symbol]" the card with that symbol immediately replaces the card you're on. Are you saying that if a card gives you a state token that matches one on a card in the current location you also immediately encounter that card?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.