Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Douglas Nicol
Scotland
Ayr
Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm looking for a new game, and I've got the following in mind, can anyone say whats good, bad, and indifferent about the following and how well they play?

I'm considering....

Descent:Journey in the Dark
World of Warcraft
Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
have you considered return of the heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Nicol
Scotland
Ayr
Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can't say I have, the trouble is that the nearest games shop in Glasow, and the selection is limited to two non Games Workshop shops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
oh ok. what are you looking for in an fantasy adventure game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Arkham Horror and Descent but not World of Warcraft. Both Arkham Horror and Descent have lots of bits and enough little rules that you'll probably spend your first couple of games looking in the rulebook quite often.

That said, I really like Descent but don't care much for Arkham Horror. The decisions in Descent seem much more interesting, and in combat you usually only have to roll one set of dice so turns are quicker and there's less downtime. In Arkham Horror, on the other hand, you might have to make one roll when you see the monster to make sure your mind doesn't snap, then another roll to make sure you can use your weapon, then another roll to see whether your weapon has been used up, then another turn to see whether you hit the monster, then another turn to see whether something else happens -- and by that time I've pretty much lost interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Nicol
Scotland
Ayr
Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm looking for a game that will last a while, but is something that can be played in a casual sort of friendly atmosphere. I've cut Arkham Horror out the list. I phoned one of the shops and they stock Descent and WoW, but haven't even heard of Return of the Heroes. Both shops aren't exactly huge and one of them is a combination model/rpg/games shops so theres a combination of stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Nicol
Scotland
Ayr
Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh, another thing, I've heard Runebound 2nd edition is pretty decent, so I'm considering one of these three.

World of Warcraft
Runebound 2nd Edition
Descent.

As I understand it, in most stores Runebound is substantially cheaper than the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.