GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Flooded Strands - Khans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pulled this nice $20-$25 card--only thing is, being a noob, I don't see how this is really that valuable--other than perhaps rarity of card. It's just lose a life to gain a basic land--I mean in a pinch sure it helps, but I'm just not seeing where the $20 value on this card is. Perhaps because blue white is a good way to do card control, every mana helps and increases the efficiency of card control, but still, to me it seems a stretch. The only thing I could think of is if there's a card that pairs very well with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can choose which of the two basic lands to get, which is ok.
The best thing on Flooded Strand is something different. With every fetch land you use you are reducing your deck size and increasing the possibility to get other cards. Also you just use one life point and don't lose any tempo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually thoroughly enjoying collecting the cards and building my sets, I'd be more interested in trading this card for a toolkit or a fat pack--do people generally trade that way for a fetch land? Not to mention I really don't have a good deck for blue white anyway, and I could just buy the land outright later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On their own Fetchlands like Flooded Strand (and its 9 friends in other color pairs) are better to have than not, but far from exceptional.

However, synergies abound with other specific effects making them multi-format all stars (meaning they see play all the way from standard to vintage (seeing play alongside the likes of Black Lotus). Here are a few such synergies:

-) Fetchlands enable Delve cards like Treasure Cruise (in standard) and Tasigur (in modern). Using a Fetchland effectively nets you two mana if you can cast a Delve card using them.

-) Fetchlands can fetch non-basic lands with basic land types such as Canopy Vista (in standard), Temple Garden (in modern), and Savannah (in Legacy/Vintage). This means that a single fetchland may be able to you access to all five colors of mana.

-) Fetchlands allow you to shuffle your deck for free. This is usually useless, but becomes useful if you know things about the order of your deck. The most famous example of this involves the card Brainstorm (and its big brother Jace, the Mindsculptor) that lets you draw 3 cards and put two cards from your hand on top of your deck. Normally this effect would not be great, because you will just draw the cards again anyway, but if you can shuffle with a fetchland the card becomes amazingly powerful.

So, in synopsis, the card is expensive because competitive players from every format when 4 of all 10 of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
With Crucible of Worlds you can play the fetch lands over and over from the graveyard and get another land every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
With Crucible of Worlds you can play the fetch lands over and over from the graveyard and get another land every turn.

That is far less obnoxious than doing that with Strip Mine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco DeLaurentis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
On their own Fetchlands like Flooded Strand (and its 9 friends in other color pairs) are better to have than not, but far from exceptional.

However, synergies abound with other specific effects making them multi-format all stars (meaning they see play all the way from standard to vintage (seeing play alongside the likes of Black Lotus). Here are a few such synergies:

-) Fetchlands enable Delve cards like Treasure Cruise (in standard) and Tasigur (in modern). Using a Fetchland effectively nets you two mana if you can cast a Delve card using them.

-) Fetchlands can fetch non-basic lands with basic land types such as Canopy Vista (in standard), Temple Garden (in modern), and Savannah (in Legacy/Vintage). This means that a single fetchland may be able to you access to all five colors of mana.

-) Fetchlands allow you to shuffle your deck for free. This is usually useless, but becomes useful if you know things about the order of your deck. The most famous example of this involves the card Brainstorm (and its big brother Jace, the Mindsculptor) that lets you draw 3 cards and put two cards from your hand on top of your deck. Normally this effect would not be great, because you will just draw the cards again anyway, but if you can shuffle with a fetchland the card becomes amazingly powerful.

So, in synopsis, the card is expensive because competitive players from every format when 4 of all 10 of them.

What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
mlssufan01 wrote:
Just pulled this nice $20-$25 card--only thing is, being a noob, I don't see how this is really that valuable--other than perhaps rarity of card. It's just lose a life to gain a basic land--I mean in a pinch sure it helps, but I'm just not seeing where the $20 value on this card is. Perhaps because blue white is a good way to do card control, every mana helps and increases the efficiency of card control, but still, to me it seems a stretch. The only thing I could think of is if there's a card that pairs very well with it.

It's $20 because it helps the consistency of your deck, and in tournaments, consistency is what wins the day.

mlssufan01 wrote:
I'm actually thoroughly enjoying collecting the cards and building my sets, I'd be more interested in trading this card for a toolkit or a fat pack--do people generally trade that way for a fetch land? Not to mention I really don't have a good deck for blue white anyway, and I could just buy the land outright later on.

You might be able to sell it for less quickly, or some at shop might drop you a lot of commons/uncommons for it (if they don't just dump them at the shop). I've never seen that trade actually happen in person, but I'm not really a trader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlssufan01 wrote:
lose a life to gain a basic land

Not just a basic land - any land with the Plains type or the Island type.

So you can fetch a Tundra, or the new Prairie Stream from Battle for Zendikar, or a Mistveil Plains, etc.

The fetchlands are always going to be money cards. They're good in every format where they're legal.

Edit: Ninja'd! Sort of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoubleH wrote:

It's $20 because it helps the consistency of your deck, and in tournaments, consistency is what wins the day.

Yeah, the various other comments are all true too but I just wanted to highlight this one. Lands that can provide more than one color of mana (especially on the turn they come into play) are really good because they can do so much to help your consistency. In a two color deck if you have 12 Islands and 12 Plains you are much likely to find you don't have the right colors at the right time than if you have 4 of these and 10 each of Islands and Plains. Because of that, they will tend to be desirable for most decks that want these colors which means a lot of people want them.

Even if you don't play tournaments, having better chances of getting the colors you want in your casual decks makes the game much more fun in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
mlssufan01 wrote:
lose a life to gain a basic land

Not just a basic land - any land with the Plains type or the Island type.

So you can fetch a Tundra, or the new Prairie Stream from Battle for Zendikar, or a Mistveil Plains, etc.

The fetchlands are always going to be money cards. They're good in every format where they're legal.

Edit: Ninja'd! Sort of.

The really key part, imo, is not that Flooded Strand can fetch other UW duals but that it can fetch any Blue Dual or any White Dual (with the appropriate basic land type).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoga Wind
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also works well with Landfall, since you can get 2+ triggers in a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:

That should have made my list. It was a big deal with Lotus Cobra!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another example: I have a very aggressive (low mana-cost) Merfolk deck for Modern. It runs something like 12-14 Islands and 6 of these type lands that fetch Islands. Because the fetch lands come into play untapped, and put the island into play untapped, They basically cost me 1 life when I draw them and replace themselves with an Island. (It's aggressive enough that I don't care about losing a few life.) My deck deck is essentially 54 cards instead of 60. It has enough land to function well, but really only runs 12-14 lands instead of 20-ish. It may not sound like a big difference, but it is when I play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
spoon wrote:

That should have made my list. It was a big deal with Lotus Cobra!

Tarmo should also have made your list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and I just pulled another one today..interesting. might have to consider changing my deck now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.