GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,109 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
104 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: So there's a movement to boycott Star Wars because... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: thedashi_pwning_jeremycobert [+] [View All]
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...there's a black guy in it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/10/20/star-wa...

Well, to be fair, there's a black guy and a white lady and a Guatemalan American. This is what happens when you put SJWs in charge of Star Wars I guess. #sarcasm

Apparently no one told these guys about Billy Dee Williams or Samuel L. Jackson. Or James Earl Jones. You know, the guy who voices the most important character of the whole series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I need is that Star Wars promotes fascism.

Edit: I guess more Feudalism, when you get right down to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this is an onion article initially, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to boycott Star Wars, there's plenty of good reason to that has nothing to do with race or gender.

#BoycotStarWars because it's a crappy franchise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
Apparently no one told these guys about Billy Dee Williams or Samuel L. Jackson. Or James Earl Jones. You know, the guy who voices the most important character of the whole series?

I think the level of PC story writing and SJW's are finally reaching the tipping point. I think making a black storm trooper was a PC decision and not based on the cannon. The Storm Troopers if we follow cannon were based off of Jango Fett who had a pacific islander appearance. I personally hate to see legendary stories reworked into PC friendly characters as its a cheap way out. They could easily write in new and interesting minority characters without these cheap tactics.

I am protesting the movie until they include more lens flares, I love lens flares, I hope they hired the right director for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also kind of surprised that they missed the unnatural long term relationship between a male protocol droid and a gender neutral astromech that takes place in the background of every movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

I think the level of PC story writing and SJW's are finally reaching the tipping point. I think making a black storm trooper was a PC decision and not based on the cannon. The Storm Troopers if we follow cannon were based off of Jango Fett who had a pacific islander appearance. I personally hate to see legendary stories reworked into PC friendly characters as its a cheap way out. They could easily write in new and interesting minority characters without these cheap tactics.

I am protesting the movie until they include more lens flares, I love lens flares, I hope they hired the right director for this.

Yes, cause it's not like anyone could just throw on a storm trooper costume and act like they are one.....That could never happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

There's nothing to suggest that the stormtroopers are still clones at the time of A New Hope, let alone 30 years after. Also, I can't tell if you're actually serious. Because Poe's Law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

Clones died.
Replaced with humans.
Empire was specist. Wanting only humans.
The clones dont live forever.
Learn your lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

There's nothing to suggest that the stormtroopers are still clones at the time of A New Hope, let alone 30 years after. Also, I can't tell if you're actually serious. Because Poe's Law.

If you've read his previous stuff, then you would know that he's 100% serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

Definitely serious about the lens flares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Definitely serious about the lens flares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Shaw
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The clones died off quickly due to their accelerated aging. The cloning facility was destroyed during the clone wars. After the formation of the empire citizens were recruited to join the military. Luke is looking into becoming an imperial soldier in a new hope. His friend Biggs joined up the year before. This is established cannon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
James Earl Jones mother fuckers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:

Well then, lets just rewrite everything through today's overly PC view point.

Perhaps Captain Ahab is not hunting a whale, instead he hunts a Japanese whaling boat and Ishmael works for green peace. oh, I should pitch that idea.

Some movies are classics and should be preserved as such. Like my beloved Ghostbusters. Just four dudes bustin ghosts and crackin wise. There is a movie with diversity that they wont be able to wedge in any PC nonsense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

Clones died.
Replaced with humans.
Empire was specist. Wanting only humans.
The clones dont live forever.
Learn your lore.

Holy crap, you said something so stupid I had to agree with TheDashi's response.

RSP has reached a new low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

Well then, lets just rewrite everything through today's overly PC view point.

Perhaps Captain Ahab is not hunting a whale, instead he hunts a Japanese whaling boat and Ishmael works for green peace. oh, I should pitch that idea.

Some movies are classics and should be preserved as such. Like my beloved Ghostbusters. Just four dudes bustin ghosts and crackin wise. There is a movie with diversity that they wont be able to wedge in any PC nonsense.

I appreciate you confirming your use of satire. Keep up the good work! (Really hilarious stuff.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
I love people trying to justify the insanity of the lore.

Secret: The lore is (used to be) whatever George says this instant. I don't envy Disney the job of cleaning that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedV wrote:
The clones died off quickly due to their accelerated aging. The cloning facility was destroyed during the clone wars. After the formation of the empire citizens were recruited to join the military. Luke is looking into becoming an imperial soldier in a new hope. His friend Biggs joined up the year before. This is established cannon.

Not to mention the latest episode of 'Rebels' to air (which is as canon as the films) has an old Clone Commander in it that specifically says the Empire 'retired' the entire Clone Army.

So, yeah, it's canon-in-on-screen-dialog that the Storm Troopers are *not* clones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As to the OP...

chopkins828 wrote:

I dunno, I have a feeling that this is as much a 'serious thing' as the MRAs boycotting Mad Max because it was 'feminist propaganda'.

At some point, I think you get into a very special variant of Poe's Law, where the satirist is actually playing it totally straight merely for the attention it brings to themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

Are you sure he's a storm trooper? It looks like the uniforms have changed somewhat, and the toys refer to "First Order", not "Imperial". I'm not on the highest level of Star Wars knowledge, but with the emperor dead and Jedi ending with the alliance triumphant, who knows what the political situation is? The Republic might be restored, with these new first order jokers running the new separatist movement to try and recapture the former glory of the empire, like the South-will-rise-again folks. The uniforms could be a deliberate homage to those elite imperial blind marksmen of yore, rather than the current corps being an actual continuation of the storm troopers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

Are you sure he's a storm trooper? It looks like the uniforms have changed somewhat, and the toys refer to "First Order", not "Imperial". I'm not on the highest level of Star Wars knowledge, but with the emperor dead and Jedi ending with the alliance triumphant, who knows what the political situation is? The Republic might be restored, with these new first order jokers running the new separatist movement to try and recapture the former glory of the empire, like the South-will-rise-again folks. The uniforms could be a deliberate homage to those elite imperial blind marksmen of yore, rather than the current corps being an actual continuation of the storm troopers.

Just because a death star exploded, that doesnt mean 500 star destroyers just went home and slashed their wrists.
They will have to account for all that in the story, or so much fail will ensue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Empire is in disarray and various larger factions that were under the Empire now vie for control.

The answers are pretty much available already for that in between time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
rinelk wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

Just because a death star exploded, that doesnt mean 500 star destroyers just went home and slashed their wrists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.