GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,351 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Banner Markers question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys, I just bought this game last week, and I have a small question re banner marker tokens and the rules that surround them:
1. First of all, if a unit (no matter which) ends and occupies a hex containing a banner marker, that player's team receive 1 or 2 VP (depending which side of the banner marker is face up) and after this, does the banner marker token gets removed from the board or stay on the same place for the entire game ?
I was playing with a friend, and after one of us had occupied a banner, we remove it from the board. We've done this because, if we are allowed to stay on the same spot and keep "farming" for VP points, than the entire theme of the game will lose it's purpose, because we will become more inclined to put our units in one place and don't move them, so that we can win the game way much sooner. Is this one of the purposes of the game ?
After we remove the banner marker, than we only have a small boost of VP points, and we can continue playing normally, and trying to find other way in which we can obtain more VPs.
2. If the game rules re banner markers says that we have to keep them on the board, then a playing session will end much more quick and some of the units won't advance on the battlefield in order to...battle(lore), because they will have to occupy the same space after each turn in order to win VP.
Which in my opinion feels a little wrong.
What do you think and what is the correct rule re banner markers ?
Thank you all in advance for helping!

Quick small edit: one of the scenarios says that in order to get 1 VP for the daqan player, we have to move the golems over the ford token.
In this situation, in order to receive 1 VP each turn, we have to order the golems, or we can play with other units, and because we still have the golems on the ford (without ordering them) we automatically receive 1 VP ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
RipTail wrote:
Hello guys, I just bought this game last week, and I have a small question re banner marker tokens and the rules that surround them:
1. First of all, if a unit (no matter which) ends and occupies a hex containing a banner marker, that player's team receive 1 or 2 VP (depending which side of the banner marker is face up) and after this, does the banner marker token gets removed from the board or stay on the same place for the entire game ?

It stays for the whole game. Those spaces become hotly contested.

Quote:
I was playing with a friend, and after one of us had occupied a banner, we remove it from the board. We've done this because, if we are allowed to stay on the same spot and keep "farming" for VP points, than the entire theme of the game will lose it's purpose, because we will become more inclined to put our units in one place and don't move them, so that we can win the game way much sooner. Is this one of the purposes of the game ?
After we remove the banner marker, than we only have a small boost of VP points, and we can continue playing normally, and trying to find other way in which we can obtain more VPs.

The banner markers represent strategically important spaces on the battlefield. It's rare that you can just sit there and farm them, as the other player is going to try and push you off. The game can ultimately come down to keeping them longer than your opponent by guarding them well.

If you removed them, there are some cases where it would be near impossible for a player to win, as some scenario cards have VP conditions that aren't easy to achieve (and, if I recall, some don't award VP at all).

If you do feel the games are ending too quickly, you can always play to a higher VP count, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banner markers stay put.

How do you ever get to 15 VP if you only ever collect points once against any given banner marker? Just off special scenario VP rules? Some scenarios don't give other ways to earn points.

The banners provide a reason for opposing units to engage with each other. The side that doesn't have control of the banner needs to acquire it, or at least drive off the one that does.

Yes, VP accumulate pretty quickly. BattleLore is a fast game; I don't think I've ever played a session that took more than 90 minutes (omitting setup).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Thus far, all victory banner remain on the map... not to say they couldn't come up with scenarios where the banners are first come, first serve.

2. Think of the banners as critical locations on the battlefield. You're trying to hold onto them and hopefully push forward and occupy those on the other half of the board. Yes, some units will wind up squatting on a victory banner and might not accomplish much else but earning victory points is the whole point of the game.

Certain special scenario objectives (like occupying a river with Rune Golem as you describe) are earned so long as their requirements are met. Doesn't matter if those units were ordered this turn or not.

If the game seems to quick for you, one of the more subtle but interesting variants out there which makes the game longer simply moves the VP step to the start of your turn rather than the end. So if you move up and occupy a banner on turn 1, you won't get that point unless you hold onto that spot until the start of your 2nd turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.