Subject: jobs bug me rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you have this beautifully thematic game with a variety of items, projects, activities, and relationships, all with nice artwork and thematic mechanisms.

You can go "skiing", become a "painter", join a "study group", ect

Then when it comes to carrers, you get a "lvl 1 science job" and this is where the creative and thematic disconnect occurs for me.

I mean I understand the mechanical reasoning for it, but why? Couldn't you have given it a title, like "pharmaceutical rep" or something.

Does this bug anyone else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Abela
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
From my side at least, it's because there are a large amount of different jobs (which would have been mechanically awkward to implement, as you said), so it's abstracted away so you can use your own imagination and your impression of what it could/should be.

Let's take Level 1 Arts job. What's that? It could be a painter, it could be a writer, it could be a graphic designer, it could be a clothing designer. What about Level 2? A really prolific writer? An art gallery curator? A publisher? A mid-level manager in a fashion house?

So invent your own little story in this. Maybe you've just finished the "Design a Video Game" project and want to interpret your "Level 1 Science Job" as starting off as a career in game development.

This is just my personal take on this (and maybe the rest will disagree), but you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianAbela wrote:
From my side at least, it's because there are a large amount of different jobs (which would have been mechanically awkward to implement, as you said), so it's abstracted away so you can use your own imagination and your impression of what it could/should be.

Let's take Level 1 Arts job. What's that? It could be a painter, it could be a writer, it could be a graphic designer, it could be a clothing designer. What about Level 2? A really prolific writer? An art gallery curator? A publisher? A mid-level manager in a fashion house?

So invent your own little story in this. Maybe you've just finished the "Design a Video Game" project and want to interpret your "Level 1 Science Job" as starting off as a career in game development.

This is just my personal take on this (and maybe the rest will disagree), but you know.

I understand your side, but it's odd that jobs are left open to interpretation while everything else isnt. There isn't a "lvl 1 activity"

I think it's plausible to place the imagination in the hands of the gamer, but a lvl 1 science job, say "medical assistant" could turn into a lvl 2 science job, say "botanist". People do all kinds of wierd jobs in life and say, "how did I end up doing what I do now?"

The game looks cool and I appreciate the design, just "lvl 2 job" kinda bugs me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
"Skiing" and "boardgaming" will always be "skiing" and "boardgaming" in your life. A new position becomes very quickly a "lvl2 job".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not trying to offend medical assistants either. I'm a nurse, which is probably a lvl 1 science job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
We found it was pretty easy to decide for ourselves what type of social/science/art job it was based on what types of projects/events that our character had done up to that point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
We found it was pretty easy to decide for ourselves what type of social/science/art job it was based on what types of projects/events that our character had done up to that point

I'm fine with that, and i have no problem using my imagination with my 2 boys running around. I just found it odd that the other cards are very specific about what they are, study group, jogging, motorcycle, Julia (instead of "artistic person"), skiing, then you just have "lvl 1 job".........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly though, on some days, my job can be best described as a "level 1 job."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F S
United States
Morrisville
NC
flag msg tools
I have not played this game but after watching many play-throughs and reviews I completely agree with t_diddy. Since this game has been compared to The game of LIFE, i'll say that getting specific jobs was fun in that game. Sure LIFE had its flaws, but getting giving me a specific job added to the theme. "Oh I'm now a doctor!" or "I'm a police officer" makes me want to get into that character more. It would certainly enhance the theme more and would be more exciting seeing all the job positions available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
I would prefer specific jobs myself, and I hope this is changed for the kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
Respect the Beard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on having some nice titles to the levels we get. I'm sure people will complain about whatever they add, but I don't care if my job happens to become a level 1 thing. I think it'd really add some nice flavour to the game - and it would match the "Game of Life" theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.