Hide
9 Posts

One Night Ultimate Vampire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mark of the Traitor question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex A
msg tools
So I got the game yesterday and played with my friends.

In one of our games, during the discussion phase we (correctly) figured out that both vampires were in the middle and that we were all villagers. The problem here was (quite fittingly) the Instigator. She had handed out a mark of the traitor in an all village team and in the last 30 seconds we were divided on what to do.

Most of my group immediately thought to lynch the person with the mark of the traitor, but my thought was that "he's still a villager! if he dies we all lose!"

The votes went out, and the traitor was lynched. We weren't sure how to rule that outcome. I feel like it was a lost situation either way. Since we lynched a villager when there were no vampires, we lost. However if we had agreed to circle vote, the traitor would have simply diverted his vote to kill anyone, making him the sole victor.

Am I right or wrong here? I guess my tldr is: if a mark of the traitor is amongst an all village setup, how2win? Does a mark of the traitor remove a villager from team village?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion O
msg tools
That's almost a doomed situation.

The best chance to salvage that situation is to convince the traitor they are no longer a traitor, i.e. a priest cleansed them or a pickpocket robbed them. Or trying to convince them they are now a lone vampire with a traitor mark might also work, since a circle vote would bring a lone vampire a win.

A related question is, what happens if the tanner receives the mark of the traitor? Does the tanner still only win if he dies? Given that the mark of the traitor reverses a character's allegiance, does the traitor-tanner only win if anyone else dies?

What about if a tanner and apprentice tanner are both in play and the tanner receives the mark of the traitor? Since the regular tanner and apprentice tanner win or lose together, and so are ostensibly on the same team, does the traitor-tanner then only win if the apprentice tanner dies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
msg tools
Vivace wrote:
The votes went out, and the traitor was lynched. We weren't sure how to rule that outcome. I feel like it was a lost situation either way. Since we lynched a villager when there were no vampires, we lost. However if we had agreed to circle vote, the traitor would have simply diverted his vote to kill anyone, making him the sole victor.

Am I right or wrong here? I guess my tldr is: if a mark of the traitor is amongst an all village setup, how2win? Does a mark of the traitor remove a villager from team village?

You've got it correct, pretty much. The traitor only wins if he can get one of you lynched, but if you lynch him, you lose, because the vampires are in the center. Instigator kind of screwed it all up. The Traitor is still on the village team, even if you're all villagers, because his effect requires it. He needs someone ON HIS TEAM to die, so it doesn't matter. Ultimately, diono is right that the Traitor would somehow need to be tricked into a circle vote, but, good luck with that.

diono wrote:
A related question is, what happens if the tanner receives the mark of the traitor? Does the tanner still only win if he dies? Given that the mark of the traitor reverses a character's allegiance, does the traitor-tanner only win if anyone else dies?

What about if a tanner and apprentice tanner are both in play and the tanner receives the mark of the traitor? Since the regular tanner and apprentice tanner win or lose together, and so are ostensibly on the same team, does the traitor-tanner then only win if the apprentice tanner dies?

I believe Ted already confirmed that if someone who is ALONE on their team (Tanner, Assassin, App. Assassin) gets the Mark of the Traitor, then nothing happens. They have no one else on their team that they want to get killed, so their win condition remains the same. There's not really a "reverse allegiance" going on, necessarily, like you don't become a vampire suddenly. You're still on your team, you're just an ass.

As for if the Apprentice Tanner is in play, I'd have to check the rulebook, which I don't have yet. I -think- Ted may have confirmed that if Apprentice Tanner has the Mark, it doesn't matter, because he's trying to get the Tanner killed anyway. As for if the Tanner has the mark, my GUESS is that since he doesn't know who is Apprentice is - or if he even has one (they could be in the center) - he still considers himself a solo character and therefore ignores the Mark as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the situation in the op, you thought right. Everybody loses. Your only other opportunity was to try to guess who the Traitor would vote for and reverse their vote, while having everyone else circle vote. Very unlikely (but kudos to anybody that ever pulls it off).

As for the Tanner/Apprentice Tanner teams, this is what I recall from the Kickstarter comments... Every Tanner, be they Tanner via card, Doppel, Artifact, Paranormal Investigation or whatever, is on their own team. The Apprentice Tanner is on every one of those teams.

Thus, an Apprentice Tanner that is a traitor wants any one of the Tanners to die, or for the Doppelgänger Apprentice Tanner to die. This is slightly different to their normal role where they still want a Tanner to die, but they don't care about their Doppelgänger.

A traitorous Tanner wants the Apprentice Tanner to die, if present. If there is no Apprentice Tanner present, the Tanner reverts to wanting to die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex A
msg tools
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

So yeah, we were doomed. The Instigator had already spilled the beans on who she gave the mark to. Everyone was being honest once we figured there were no vampires. Instigator has more power than I thought...

The rule book does confirm that if you have the mark of the traitor but are the only person on your team, the mark does nothing.

And the Apprentice Tanner is on the Tanner team, Clipper is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Wallis
msg tools
mbmb
Vivace wrote:

The rule book does confirm that if you have the mark of the traitor but are the only person on your team, the mark does nothing.

So a traitor mark on an assassin does nothing?
Hmm.. I thought it was kind of cool that their objective would be to keep a certain person alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Corbett
msg tools
You could easily house rule that. I might try it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Q
msg tools
If there was a tie (2-2 in a 5-player game) between a Vampire Traitor and a Count, does the Vampire Traitor also win if he dies with the Count?

Vote Count:
Vampire Traitor and another villager votes for the Count - 2
Count and another villager votes for the Vampire Traitor (out of frustration lol) - 2
Another player votes someone else - 1

2-2-1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traitors do not have surviving as part of their win condition. The win condition is simply that somebody else on their team dies, so a traitor can win posthumously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.