GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,384 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Wellington's War: The Peninsular Campaign 1809-1814» Forums » General

Subject: Map spelling errors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gonzalo Santacruz de la Torre
Spain
Rivas Vaciamadrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have seen the game map and city names for the first time today and I'm im pressed b/c of the amount of errors it has.

I can understand to not write the names with "eñe" (ñ) like "Coruña" and write instead "Corunna", but what I can't understand is to write some names this way and others perfectly writen, as "Río Ebro".

Please, before printing a game map with this kind of errors, look for a native one to fix all the spelling errors.
The map could have been perfect but as it is is full of errors.

I really like the game, and maybe would have to do my own game map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Horton
United States
River Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, Corunna is not an error but the traditional English way of spelling the name. It's the same with a lot of place names. In English it is Castile, not Castilla; Seville, not Sevilla; Tagus, not Tajo; Biscay, not Vizcaya. It's even more prevalent in Italian. In English its Rome, not Roma; Milan, not Milano; Venice, not Venezia; Turin, not Torino; Florence, not Firenze; etc. etc. etc.

The game was published in the United States in English therefore is should not be surprising if English usage prevails in many cases, particularly in a place like Corunna where the the battle is well known in English history using the English spelling. Indeed, I believe that was the driving force in the choice of names. If a name was well known because of the history using an English spelling they retained it. If the place was not so well known they used the local spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Gallego
Spain
Sarriguren
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Names wrong in English and Spanish:
- Santandar is Santander
- Bilboa is Bilbao
- Lorgano is Logroño
- Benevente is Benavente
- Tereul is Teruel
- Peñsícola is Peñíscola
- Castillon de la Plana is Castellón de la Plana
- Alacantara is Alcántara
- Setabul (in the Atlantic ocean Ports box) is Setubal (correct in the map)

And some others... it's not a problem of having the names in the English way, they are wrong even that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Santacruz de la Torre
Spain
Rivas Vaciamadrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
As Edgar said, I can accept your point of view but there are wrong names in both languages, not just not written in Spanish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Manson
France
Istres
Bouches du Rhone
flag msg tools
badge
Erwin wrote:
As Edgar said, I can accept your point of view but there are wrong names in both languages, not just not written in Spanish.

Yup. As I read the AAR, I remarked that a French town, Perpignan, was labelled Perpignon...

I think that I will buy this game BUT I also think that I will draw my own map with correct names (being published in the USA is not an excuse to not use the proper names of the towns) and zones instead of hexes (and better colours too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.