GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,265 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which would you spend $700 on? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd spend it on 20 boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
No.

Play the game. You must choose....

Ah, this is a hypothetical thing, and not an actual "I recommend you spend $700 on this because I think it's a good purchase" thing? I would get Cthulhu Wars, in that case. Really nice minis (if for bizarre reason I procured a copy, I would take the opportunity to try painting), gameplay sounds fun and not too daunting, and since there are loads of Lovecraft fans out there, it would probably be easier to get on the table OR sell later on if I wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jojobinks wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jojobinks wrote:

+2

Of course, I'm not a mini's collector and I have a Pathfinder Adventure Card Game subscription, so maybe I'm not the best sounding board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of those 2 options...Cthulhu Wars all the way.

But as others had mentioned, that money is much better spent to get 20 games that you will play a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say I wanted a cthulhu themed game with miniatures and wanted to spend $700. I would probably buy a selection of figures from Reaper Miniatures, RAFM, and others, maybe even Fenris. I could use those to play Song of Blades and Heroes, Pulp Alley, plus some others like Hordes of the Things or Kings of War. I'm sure there are others that are not coming to mind right now. At that point, there would be plenty of money in the $700 left to make terrain. Depending on how many games and figures I got, there might even be enough to get a table and chairs to play on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going with CW (Well, I might still call it off, but that's the plan for the time being). SOB is interesting, but I'm not going to support their KS exclusive crap (all the CW exclusives are purely cosmetic, IIRC SOB had a pretty substantial amount of exclusive gameplay components) and I already have enough dungeon crawlers... Plus I don't care for co-ops (Even if SOB added a proper competitive mode at some point, see above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, right now, except for Bones III, the only Cthulhu mini's I've found are in metal or resin, which is MUCH more expensive. While the RAFM Cthulhu KS was a great deal, you'll note it's missing the ridiculously huge "miniatures" Cthulhu Wars had to offer. And, as suggested, you can certainly play more than one game with the Cthulhu mini's, including the Call of Cthulhu and other mythos RPGs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/941525798/rafm-call-of-...

As for 20 games... frankly, I find it difficult to *find* 20 games I will regularly play, even though I game three times a month. I'm sure you can easily find ten or more Eurogames you can play in an afternoon, but, with Amertrash games being longer, it's different.

I've *bought* dozens of games based on reviews I *though* I would enjoy, but didn't. At least with miniatures, I know I'll be able to use the game components in several games, as well as paint them. If there's no difference two you between a $10 hobby-level plastic miniature and a half-cent piece of cardboard, you're not going to buy the plastic.

The two games I really enjoy are Eldritch Horror and Dominion. But, after nine or so expansions of Dominion, and with Eldritch Horror on its fourth expansion, I'm gonna spend more than $700 on two "games" alone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
Buy a Lego Death Star and save 300...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CW is a great game. So if you can affordably spend $700 on it, do it.

I would do it too if I could affordably do so.

Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Waz
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on one game...no way, not even my superfavorite theme. That is a shameful waste. I would use it to build a kick ass table, buy a couple of my wish list games, and use the rest to bring another person or two to the hobby. When we start supporting 700 dollar games as the norm this community is in trouble...elitist anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone. But I'm already in for $400+ (didn't back the KS), and easily see myself spending on future expansions. $700 isn't far away, but it'll be spread out over a few years. At 114 plays and counting, that's easily money well spent. The campaign mode keeps me invested in the game. The multitude of hero options keeps me coming back - I want to try every class with multiple builds. There will be new heroes to play around with. Each new Other World brings with it new missions, new enemies (needing new tactics), new challenges, and new gear to change up the heroes' looks and abilities.

Cthulhu Wars is fun, but it would never see the playtime SoB does. I'm contemplating backing the current KS for just the base game, and then putting expansions on my wishlist for others to buy for me.

nighthawk326 wrote:
Out of those 2 options...Cthulhu Wars all the way.

But as others had mentioned, that money is much better spent to get 20 games that you will play a lot.

I have more plays of SoB than I do of my 20 least-played games combined...

Flamin_Jesus wrote:
I'm going with CW (Well, I might still call it off, but that's the plan for the time being). SOB is interesting, but I'm not going to support their KS exclusive crap (all the CW exclusives are purely cosmetic, IIRC SOB had a pretty substantial amount of exclusive gameplay components) and I already have enough dungeon crawlers... Plus I don't care for co-ops (Even if SOB added a proper competitive mode at some point, see above).

Incorrect - the only KS exclusive for SoB is the Outlaw miniature. Everything else will be available in retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
I'm going with CW (Well, I might still call it off, but that's the plan for the time being). SOB is interesting, but I'm not going to support their KS exclusive crap (all the CW exclusives are purely cosmetic, IIRC SOB had a pretty substantial amount of exclusive gameplay components)

The only KS exclusive that Shadows of Brimstone has is the Outlaw. It's a cool class, but (if you were to get everything for the game), there's 17 other classes to choose from. You'd hardly be missing out.

I backed it at the top level ($480) and despite the fact that I only have the two core sets, the outlaw, and 4 small card expansions so far, and based on what I know is coming, it was easily my best boardgame purchase ever.
It's already my second favorite boardgame, and I don't even have a third of everything I'm going to be receiving for it.

Oh, and concerning the quality of the minis, they're not near as bad as everybody is making them out to be. They're not great, but they're totally decent, and they look really good when they're painted up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring Anniversry edition

http://www.aresgames.eu/14924

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say CW. Even though shadows has a long campaign, interaction between opposing players via CW provides unlimited replay ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:

Incorrect - the only KS exclusive for SoB is the Outlaw miniature. Everything else will be available in retail.

Burnham wrote:

The only KS exclusive that Shadows of Brimstone has is the Outlaw. It's a cool class, but (if you were to get everything for the game), there's 17 other classes to choose from. You'd hardly be missing out.

Fair enough, but I really don't need another Dungeon Crawler, not at that price and as a pure coop anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing the game here: I'd choose Shadows of Brimstone. I own it and like it. But CW seems like a great game aswell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
Buy a Lego Death Star and save 300...

I'd throw in an extra $50 to get the Death Star and the Ewok Village. And maybe an extra $200 more for that sweet Airjitsu Temple...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was going to invest that kind of money, I would buy a real miniatures game, not to derail the thread. That is a lot to invest in board game miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.