Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the thread for the next Eldritch Horror play by forum game. It will be a four-player game using the Court of Wonders fan expansion, including using the Ancient One from that expansion. It will also be using all expansion published to date (FL, MoM, SR), and players will need to have copies of each of those expansions. There will be no prelude used.

Invitations are being sent out.

Acceptances:
Adelphophage— Daisy Walker
Turgul— Charlie Kane
Amosboris— Leo Anderson
Kelwynne— TBD

Players who have not been involved in play by forum games before should read this guide for new players, gives a good overview of what's involved in a PBF game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Boris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Eldritch Horror PBF #23: Once Upon Time
I'll gladly join. Go ahead a me a random character, Xelto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amosboris wrote:
I'll gladly join. Go ahead a me a random character, Xelto.

In view of the already-chosen characters, it's going to be random from all characters with a strength of 3 or higher. 1custom13{Leo;Trish;Tony;Lily;Skids;Ursula;Tommy;Diana;Zoey;Wilson;Mark;Silas;Arthur} -> ( Leo) -> ( Leo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 801622. Xelto
  • 1custom13{Leo;Trish;Tony;Lily;Skids;Ursula;Tommy;Diana;Zoey;Wilson;Mark;Silas;Arthur} =
  • ( Leo) =
  • ( Leo)
  • a strength of 3 or higher.
  • Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:23 pm
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, the final lineup is:

Charlie
Daisy
Leo
Kizzy Hearne

Unless you tell me otherwise, that will be the seating order.

Initial game setup coming soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The last few details before beginning:

I'm not going to be using the spells listed in the expansion. As I noted early on, they've only seen moderate playtesting, and I want to use only portions that have seen sufficient balancing and whatnot.

For those of you who participated in my last game with this AO, note that the sideboard has changed a bit— no dice are needed for movement around it, and local abilities were added to the Garden and the Chessboard (both of them being pass a test to move one space, while taking a minor amount of damage if you fail the roll.) Additionally, most of the monsters have seen modifications. There were a few minor tweaks as well, but those are the noticeable ones.

For those of you who haven't seen this before, the expansion rules are detailed in this thread, if you haven't read it. The important things to know: to get to the sideboard, either spend a clue or discard a clue from your space. You can get out of it by using the action at the Shore space (move to a random space on the main board and become delayed) or from the Castle space (return to the space you were on the main board after having a non-monster encounter there).

If a sideboard monster has a skill icon for its toughness, then there is a skill check as part of combat. If you pass that skill check, the monster is defeated.

Also, player-created effects (spells, conditions, location effects, personal abilities) can't be used from one board to the other. Game created effects (monsters and mythos) will affect both boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Starting reserve:
2 fine clothes
2 blunderbuss
4 map of the ley lines
3 intelligence report

Kizzy's starting spell 1custom20{Arcane Insight;Banishment;Blessing isis;Clairvoyance;Conjuration;Feed Mind;Flesh Ward;Healing Words;Instill Bravery;Intervene;Mists Releh;Plumb Void;Poison Mist;Shriveling;Storm Spirits;Wither;Astral Travel;Azure Flame;Markings Isis;Voice Ra} -> ( Clairvoyance) -> ( Clairvoyance) version 1d4 = (3) = 3

Starting gate: London starting monster: 1d52 = (50) = 50 (witch)

expedition: 1custom7{Amazon;Pyramids;Africa;Tunguska;Himalayas;Antarctica;City} -> ( Amazon) -> ( Amazon)

clues 4custom36{1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;San Francisco;Arkham;Bueños RollsAires;London;Rome;Istanbul;Shanghai;Tokyo;Sydney;Amazon;Pyramds; Africa;Tunguska;Himalayas;Antarctica;} -> ( Tunguska 7 21 Rome) -> ( Tunguska 7 21 Rome)

1custom6{Containing the Wonderlust;Jabberwocky;Foes at Brillig;Plugging the Rabbit Hole;The Royalty Test;This Side of the Looking-Glass} -> ( This Side of the Looking-Glass) -> ( This Side of the Looking-Glass) Four clues from research needed to solve

Moster list for this game:
1 Byakhee
2 Child of the Goat
3 Colour out of Space
4 Cthonian
5 Cultist 1
6 Cultist 2
7 Cultist 3
8 Cultist 4
9 Cultist 5
10 Cultist 6
11 Cultist 7
12 Cultist 8
13 Cultist 9
14 Dark Young
15 Deep One
16 Dhole
17 Elder Thing
18 Flying Polyp
19 Ghast
20 Ghost
21 Ghoul 1
22 Ghoul 2
23 Gnoph-keh
24 Goat Spawn 1
25 Goat Spawn 2
26 Gug
27 Hound of Tindalos
28 Hunting Horror
29 Leng Spider
30 Lloigor
31 Maniac
32 Mi-go
33 Mummy
34 Nightgaunt
35 Proto-shoggoth
36 Rat Thing
37 Riot
38 Serpent people
39 Servitor of the Outer Gods
40 Shan
41 Shoggoth
42 Skeleton
43 Star Spawn
44 Star Vampire
45 Tcho-tcho
46 Vampire
47 Warlock
48 Wendigo
49 Werewolf
50 Witch
51 Wraith
52 Zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 801714. Xelto
  • 1custom20{Arcane Insight;Banishment;Blessing isis;Clairvoyance;Conjuration;Feed Mind;Flesh Ward;Healing Words;Instill Bravery;Intervene;Mists Releh;Plumb Void;Poison Mist;Shriveling;Storm Spirits;Wither;Astral Travel;Azure Flame;Markings Isis;Voice Ra} =
  • ( Clairvoyance) =
  • ( Clairvoyance)
  • Kizzy's starting spell
  • Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:53 am
  • [+]
  • 801715. Xelto
  • 1d4 =
  • (3) =
  • version
  • Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:53 am
  • [+]
  • 801716. Xelto
  • 1d52 =
  • (50) =
  • starting monster:
  • Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:54 am
  • [+]
  • 801718. Xelto
  • 1custom7{Amazon;Pyramids;Africa;Tunguska;Himalayas;Antarctica;City} =
  • ( Amazon) =
  • ( Amazon)
  • expedition:
  • [+]
  • 801719. Xelto
  • 4custom36{1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;San Francisco;Arkham;Bueños RollsAires;London;Rome;Istanbul;Shanghai;Tokyo;Sydney;Amazon;Pyramds; Africa;Tunguska;Himalayas;Antarctica;} =
  • ( Tunguska 7 21 Rome) =
  • ( Tunguska 7 21 Rome)
  • clues
  • [+]
  • 801721. Xelto
  • 1custom6{Containing the Wonderlust;Jabberwocky;Foes at Brillig;Plugging the Rabbit Hole;The Royalty Test;This Side of the Looking-Glass} =
  • ( This Side of the Looking-Glass) =
  • ( This Side of the Looking-Glass)
  • Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:56 am
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Prologue:

Charlie Kane "No, senator, I am serious."

You've had many people try convince you of many, many things in your life. But this story is wilder than anything that Wells wrote. Wilder even than Verne.

"Mister Walters, do you honestly expect me to believe that some alternate reality is trying to snuggle up to ours and hump it?"

"My name is Withers, sir. And yes, despite that inelegant way of describing it, that's what's going on. Unless you want to explain the three blind mice climbing up the side of your clock. With pitons and rope, no less."

And that was the rub of it. You were preparing for a senate meeting, so you were stone cold sober that day. You saw what you saw. And the next day, when you went back to verify, the pitons were still lodged in the side of the grandfather clock. And this crackpot, so crazy that he managed to lose tenure from Miskatonic U, of all places, was the only one Mrs. Turtledove was able to discretely locate who might have any clues about what was going on.

"So what do you expect me to do? Subpoena an entire dimension?"

The nutcase sighed. "You don't have the skills or experience needed. The most you can do is get out of the way, and let the experts deal with it. If we succeed, then you don't have to worry about it. If we fail... well, you may be making your next senate run against an actual donkey or bull moose."

"So you want me to do nothing."

"Yes, that's what I'm saying. Politicians just can't help in this case. If anything, you're a source of the problem, not a solution to it."

It dawns on you that he wasn't expelled from Miskatonic U for his crazy theories, entirely. He has no diplomatic skills whatsoever.

And he also doesn't realize the reach of a skilled politician.

Now, if you can just get a bit more information about this alternate reality.

Daisy Walker You're not sure which sultan gathered such an extensive collection of the works of madmen. It's a shame that it wasn't kept up better. But as you've sorted through it over the last three years, you've noticed various patterns. The unknown sultan seemed to have focused heavily on men who seemed to have had delusions, rather than dangerous psychosis. Animals acting like humans are common themes, as are people in a large number of people acting in absurd fashion.

But last week you came across a sealed box. Opening it, you found story after story of a rabbit, usually walking on his hind legs, wearing a variety of clothes that seem to match the fashions of the time, and always rushing from one place to another.

The stories reminded you strongly of the works of Mr. Lewis Carroll. At the bottom was a book, written in arabic, by Mustfa Haran, where he explained how he had, during his studies, found these stories and collected them. Later in his writings, he reported that two city merchants had reported seeing a rabbit, similar to the one in these stories, and that he was going to investigate. His journal then related searching across the Ottoman Empire for two years, trying to find people willing to say anything, before it abruptly ended.

You're not sure how the journal and the stories ended up in the sealed box, but it's time to find out. You just need to get a bit of research in.

Leo Anderson "Sí, señor, those lines out there? They are to ward off the talking animals. This is a truth handed down from father to son for many, many generations."

You're not sure that Umaq knows what he's talking about, but it's not like you're doing anything better right now. So... time to find out what he's really talking about.

Kizzy Hearne It was a bit of a shock when you found goats on the roof of the wagon. The inside of the wagon, that was, standing upside down.

Grandmother took it all in stride. "Oh, it's happening again?"

The explanations took a long time, and many of the young ones, you could tell, had a difficult time believing it. Another reality, after all, isn't something you normally hear about. The danger it poses to our reality. And then explaining that that was why the Romani kept moving, to track the weakness between the worlds.

You had to wonder why you had never heard about this before. But the clan cast the fortunes. And for whatever reason, the lot fell on you to go out into the world to seek out and stop the infection from the reality of daydreams.

Now, you just need more specifics about where and what is really going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Reserve:
2 fine clothes
2 blunderbuss
4 map of the ley lines
3 intelligence report

Charlie Kane
8 /8
4 /4
L2 - I4 - O3
S2 - W2

0 focus | 0 clues
no tickets
personal assistant

Daisy Walker
8 /8
4 /4
L4 - I3 - O2
S1 - W3

0 focus | 0 clues
no tickets
old journal
arcane insight

Leo Anderson
6 /6
6 /6
L2 - I2 - O3
S3 - W3

0 focus | 0 clues
no tickets
hired muscle

Kizzy Hearne
6 /6
6 /6
L3 - I2 - O3+1
S2 - W3

0 focus | 0 clues
no tickets
clairvoyance #3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools

I think Daisy's stats are wrong? According to my card she should be L4, I3, O2, S1, W3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:

I think Daisy's stats are wrong? According to my card she should be L4, I3, O2, S1, W3?

Yes, I had Charlie and Daisy swapped. It's fixed now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Need
Canada
flag msg tools

I am thinking that Kizzy will head to Rome this turn. If she can pick up a Weapon (other than the Blunderbuss) or combat Spell she can go after the Witch next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools

If Kizzy has the Rome clue in her sights, Daisy should probably start wandering towards the Tunguska clue, raiding a few libraries along the way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Need
Canada
flag msg tools
Adelphophage wrote:

If Kizzy has the Rome clue in her sights, Daisy should probably start wandering towards the Tunguska clue, raiding a few libraries along the way?

If Daisy wants the Rome Clue she is welcome to it. Kizzy will either try a Will boost to help vs the Witch or one of the more remote Clues (21 or Tunguska) via Clairvoyance. Rome just happens to be enroute to the Witch/Gate. The Map might help, if Charlie rolls well this turn or next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stim
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Getting no where with Professor Withers, Charlie starts planning on how to get things done, while remaining in his very comfortable house overlooking San Francisco Bay. "Miss Turtledove, please call my tailor. It is time to get some newer clothes and start things in motion."

Action 1: Acquire Assets 5d6c[5] = (3, 5, 2, 1, 3) = 1 Reroll: 1d6c[5] = (5) = 1 Acquire Fine Clothes
Action 2: TBD - If no one wants an extra action, Charlie will Focus
Encounter: SF

Does anyone need an additional action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 802702. Turgul
  • 5d6c[5] =
  • (3, 5, 2, 1, 3) =
  • Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:02 pm
  • [+]
  • 802706. Turgul
  • 1d6c[5] =
  • (5) =
  • Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:04 pm
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Reserve:
1 delivery service
2 blunderbuss
3 intelligence report
4 map of the ley lines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Boris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Action 1: Roll for assets. 2d6c[5] = (2, 4) = 0

Action 2: Move to Amazon.

Encounter: Expedition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 802808. amosboris
  • 2d6c[5] =
  • (2, 4) =
  • Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:50 pm
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools

Action 1: Special action 2d6c[5] = (4, 5) = 1
Action 2: Move to Rome
Encounter: Clue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 802958. Adelphophage
  • 2d6c[5] =
  • (4, 5) =
  • Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:30 pm
No Need
Canada
flag msg tools

Action 1a: SA: Clairvoyance #1custom3{1;2;4} = (2) = 2
Action 1b: Travel to Rome
Action 2: TBD (Is Daisy going random Tome or the Map. And if the Map is she open to trading it?)
Action 2: Acquire Assets: (Influence) 2d6c[5] = (3, 6) = 1. Discard Blunderbuss.
Encounter: Rome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 803003. Kelwynne
  • 1custom3{1;2;4} =
  • (2) =
  • Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:59 pm
  • [+]
  • 803297. Kelwynne
  • 2d6c[5] =
  • (3, 6) =
  • (Influence)
  • Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:35 pm
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Kelwynne wrote:

Action 1: SA: Clairvoyance # Kelwynne previously rolled 1custom3{1;2;4} = (2) = 2

Your personal action also grants you another action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Adelphophage wrote:

Action 1: Special action Adelphophage previously rolled 2d6c[5] = (4, 5) = 1

Would you like the map of the ley lines from the reserve, or a random tome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Need
Canada
flag msg tools
Xelto wrote:

Kelwynne wrote:

Action 1: SA: Clairvoyance # Kelwynne previously rolled 1custom3{1;2;4} = (2) = 2

Your personal action also grants you another action.

Yeah, I got interrupted mid-edit. Updated now, waiting on Daisy's selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools

I'll take the map. I should probably hold onto it for the boost to my Arcane Insight?

Edit: I'll do the mystery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Reserve:
1 delivery service
2 blunderbuss
2 consecration
3 intelligence report

My family is going to be at a convention today, so encounters may not happen until sometime tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Adelphophage wrote:

Action 1: Special action Adelphophage previously rolled 2d6c[5] = (4, 5) = 1
Action 2: Move to Rome
Encounter: Clue

One additional question: if successful at gaining the clue, do you want to keep it or put it on the mystery?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Encounter phase

Charlie Kane Nothing like a new pair of threads to put a spring in your step and a certain confidence in your bearing.

Which gets wiped out as you look at the grandfather clock again. This time, there are no mice trying to reach the summit. Instead, the interior looks almost like a moving picture, showing bits of various places in it. It looks like you could step into it. Do you want to lose 2 sanity to travel to the space of your choice?

Daisy Walker Some of the more promising stories in the collection were written during the Roman Empire, so you head out that way to see if you can scrape up more details. You look through libraries from Venice down towards Rome, possibly heading through to Sicily. But as you pass through Perugia, you're met at the library by a man who introduces himself as Josiah Greenwell, of the Silver Twilight Lodge. He says that he knows about what he calls the "daydream dimension", and will tell you about it in exchange for a few minor favors (lore, map) 5d6c[5] = (6, 5, 1, 6, 1) = 3. You easily realize that some of the "minor" favors would include accepting a geas, an refuse to be part of it.

Josiah looks at you, and you're not sure if you passed a test or dodged a trap, but either way, he agrees to remove the compulsory portions of his favors, if you'll pass along a couple messages ("and not ones that will hurt you in any way"), and carry a crystal to the equator, leave it there for a week, then send it parcel post to him ("also not harmful to anyone, just testing a theory I have.")

In exchange, he gives you a list of times and places he knows that this daydream dimension has crossed over with ours ("incomplete, sadly, but still useful, I expect") and talks about various known flora and fauna from the dream dimension, including the White Rabbit and the Jabberwock, ("avatars of the yin and yang of the dimension"). Gain all clues on this space. Clue placed on mystery.

Leo Anderson Pedro take you up to the top of a steep hill in the desert (str, personal, muscle) 5d6c[5] = (5, 6, 2, 6, 6) = 4. As you look out, you see grey lines stretching across the reddish ground below. Some of the lines form a picture of a bird with long legs. In the distance, you see other lines drawn in the ground, but they don't appear to be pictures. "That is Cotoachin, the tree-bird, señor", Pedro says as he points to the picture. "Those lines out there? They contain him, prevent him from moving to the Amazon, where he would hide in the trees. If you look that way, you can almost see the ground-spider. She is also contained by the lines around her, what you might call wards."

Well, you'll be damned, there actually are giant pictures in the desert. But you're not sure what you can do with it. And there is an obvious question you have: "What happens if the lines disappear?"

Pedro looks a bit uncomfortable. "I hope that does not happen. We've lost the knowledge of how to make the proper images. But that is also why they were made in the desert. Cotoachin would obviously be better contained in the jungle, but the jungle would destroy our works quickly."

You spend the day climbing hills and looking at the different drawings, sometimes from the top of a hill, sometimes on the ground (obs -1) 3d6c[5] = (2, 5, 3) = 1. As you do so, Pedro indicates what the drawings are of. Gain one clue. As you prepare for camp, that night, you say "It's been fascinating, but is that it? A bunch of weird creatures that want to invade our world? Is there any advantage we can get from it?"

Pedro thinks for a while, and finally says "Yes." He vanishes into the countryside for a while, and eventually returns with a feather. "This is the feather of the rhea chief. The rhea escaped from the other side thousands of years ago. Our kings permitted them to stay in our world, so long as they swore fealty to us were willing to give up their ability to fly and talk. This feather holds that capability of flight; you can use it to send things from one place to another. Even people. I think it will be needed soon." Gain the Rhea Feather Artifact. (This is known in most games as the Mi-go Brain Case.)

Expedition moves to 1custom7{Amazon;Pyramids;Africa;Tunguska;Himalayas;Antarctica;City} -> ( Amazon) -> ( Amazon)

Kizzy Hearne A family of Romani are gathering near Rieti. You stop by, and greet them. To one side, you see a pot of chuchuni stewing. As you talk with the family, you mention your purpose in traveling the world, and they offer you the chuchuni. Do you want to eat it? (Game effect: improve the skill of your choice, then test will to avoid being cursed. That's what happens when you put too much or too little fennel in it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 803702. Xelto
  • 5d6c[5] =
  • (6, 5, 1, 6, 1) =
  • (lore, map)
  • Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:29 pm
  • [+]
  • 803709. Xelto
  • 5d6c[5] =
  • (5, 6, 2, 6, 6) =
  • (str, personal, muscle)
  • Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:44 pm
  • [+]
  • 803712. Xelto
  • 3d6c[5] =
  • (2, 5, 3) =
  • (obs -1)
  • Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:56 pm
  • [+]
  • 803714. Xelto
  • 1custom7{Amazon;Pyramids;Africa;Tunguska;Himalayas;Antarctica;City} =
  • ( Amazon) =
  • ( Amazon)
  • Expedition moves to
  • Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:10 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.