Subject: Faction punch boards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zeroth
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
OS2 just made them available as a $10 add-on. However, it seems that people from the original kickstarter are already getting the original faction punchboards from a stretch goal. At the same time, I am pledged only for pnakotic manuscripts (core set only), and I don't need the expansion faction punch boards. Wouldn't it make sense to split up the add-on into 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I don't think that the extra $5 for the factions you will not be using is that big of a deal.
You don't have to get the punchboards. The only thing added by the punchboards is that they are thicker than what's already included in the base game.
Besides that, more options/versions only increase the risk of something getting packed wrong during fulfillment. And there are already tons of different things you can add to your pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeroth
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It may not be a big deal for you, but it just makes no sense to me. I have no issue with paying say $5 for the core set boards, and people who needs the expansion ones can pay $5 for those. Or if they could just include the 4 punch boards for the core factions like last campaign, in a stretch goal for pnakotic manuscript backers, that would be super nice. Not expecting that of course, but I just don't like to be forced to pay for items I don't need. And I want the punch boards, the flimsy card boards are just sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Murthwaite
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah but when you get the boards that you don't need and read about how awesome the other playable factions are, you may change your mind...good to have them around just in case lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeroth
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The game is expensive as is, I'm not going to get any expansions. It's disappointing that I have to pay in order to have everything in the game to be the same quality, which I don't mind, but having to pay for things I don't need just makes no sense at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Murthwaite
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I only have the base game and really the upgraded faction cards are a luxury that you don't need. The ones that come with the game are perfectly functional and sturdy enough for me to not worry about my 8 year old son accidentally damaging them during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
strgzr13 wrote:
The game is expensive as is, I'm not going to get any expansions. It's disappointing that I have to pay in order to have everything in the game to be the same quality, which I don't mind, but having to pay for things I don't need just makes no sense at all.

Everything in the game will be the same quality.

None of the factions have punchboard faction cards by default. It is just something that fans wanted, so we're offering it. Don't feel like you have to get it. Trust me. The faction cards are 350g art paper cardstock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R. Nielsen-Doss
United States
Hudson Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strgzr13 wrote:
It may not be a big deal for you, but it just makes no sense to me. I have no issue with paying say $5 for the core set boards, and people who needs the expansion ones can pay $5 for those. Or if they could just include the 4 punch boards for the core factions like last campaign, in a stretch goal for pnakotic manuscript backers, that would be super nice. Not expecting that of course, but I just don't like to be forced to pay for items I don't need. And I want the punch boards, the flimsy card boards are just sad.

I personally did not like the originals, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought some laminate for like 7 dollars and covered all my faction sheets, tracks, etc. That may not suit everyone but it worked for me. That said, I am upgrading on the OS2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Leininger

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strgzr13 wrote:

The card stock is high quality. Adding the punch boards as a paid add-on for those who want them was specifically asked for by fans prior to launch. The general consensus was that a paid add-on was more desirable than no thick faction boards. I'm super thankful that they took fan requests to heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dleining wrote:
The card stock is high quality. Adding the punch boards as a paid add-on for those who want them was specifically asked for by fans prior to launch. The general consensus was that a paid add-on was more desirable than no thick faction boards. I'm super thankful that they took fan requests to heart.

I totally agree!
I wasn't part of the original campaign so I missed out on the punchboards. (Pre-ordered the necronomicon bundle.) I'm really happy that I'm able to get them this time around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeroth
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
existoid wrote:

None of the factions have punchboard faction cards by default. It is just something that fans wanted, so we're offering it. Don't feel like you have to get it. Trust me. The faction cards are 350g art paper cardstock.

Thanks for the reply Arthur. I understand that the 350g cardstock is high quality, but fans wanted more for a reason. I want the punchboards for the same reason, plus I believe the punchboards will have the correct errata printed on, but the cardstock will have the wrong rules.

As it stands right now, the only way for me to acquire them is to also buy the ones I don't need. I'd just like a simple answer that makes sense, "yes give us some time to look into an option to split the add-on" or "no, we can't do that because reason". So far all the answers I've been getting is just avoiding the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Leininger

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strgzr13 wrote:
existoid wrote:

Thanks for the reply Arthur. I understand that the 350g cardstock is high quality, but fans wanted more for a reason. I want the punchboards for the same reason, plus I believe the punchboards will have the correct errata printed on, but the cardstock will have the wrong rules.

As it stands right now, the only way for me to acquire them is to also buy the ones I don't need. I'd just like a simple answer that makes sense, "yes give us some time to look into an option to split the add-on" or "no, we can't do that because reason". So far all the answers I've been getting is just avoiding the issue.

I doubt very much that they can afford to split this up or that it would be cheaper to produce and ship if they did so. It would require a new packaging size and SKU. It's probably just easier and more cost efficient for them and the backer to just have an 8 faction set. $10 is actually much lower than I was expecting for all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
strgzr13 wrote:
existoid wrote:

Here's the real truth:
We had over 50 SKUs on the original KS, and that was with technically only 15 expansions. But there were so many combos of things. We want to simplify, and this isn't easy.

Look at it this way:
Yes, we COULD offer just four of them for $5. However, if you want them badly enough, you are more than likely going to ALSO want the others, becuase you are likely to have or want all the faction expansions (which are the most desired expansions, according to original backer numbers). So, to avoid having to have two separate packages, for a very few people, we'd rather have a single package for all, regarding the punchboards.

We will probably end up having two punchboard options, but the other will be a singleton Tcho-Tcho for the 4300 original backers.

And yes, we're offering them at quite a low price, vis a vis their cost. They are more of a "thank you" item, then something we're making any real margins on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeroth
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks, I finally got an explanation from you. Keeping logistics simple is a fine enough reason and I can respect that. I just wish you guys are more open sooner.

existoid wrote:
However, if you want them badly enough, you are more than likely going to ALSO want the others, becuase you are likely to have or want all the faction expansions

I don't see how wanting higher quality boards for the 4 original factions would make me want other faction expansions, the later being another $200... it's the whole reason I asked for the add-on to be split to begin with, because I can't afford other expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
msg tools
mb
Does the kickstarter version of the Tcho-Tcho expansion come with their own heavy cardboard faction card?

If not I want them separated. I did fully back the original kickstarter, so I have 7 out of the 8 factions on the heavy duty cardboard coming. I don't want to get a whole bunch of redundant cards that end up in a closet or the garbage if I want to have all 8 be the same quality. I won't buy it if that's the case but it will bug me forever.

Sorry if this has been already answered I can't find it anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeroth
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ReptileViking wrote:
Does the kickstarter version of the Tcho-Tcho expansion come with their own heavy cardboard faction card?

If not I want them separated. I did fully back the original kickstarter, so I have 7 out of the 8 factions on the heavy duty cardboard coming. I don't want to get a whole bunch of redundant cards that end up in a closet or the garbage if I want to have all 8 be the same quality. I won't buy it if that's the case but it will bug me forever.

Sorry if this has been already answered I can't find it anywhere.

They are looking into an option for your situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
msg tools
mb
strgzr13 wrote:

They are looking into an option for your situation.

Oh good! Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
strgzr13 wrote:
Thanks, I finally got an explanation from you. Keeping logistics simple is a fine enough reason and I can respect that. I just wish you guys are more open sooner.

existoid wrote:
However, if you want them badly enough, you are more than likely going to ALSO want the others, becuase you are likely to have or want all the faction expansions

I don't see how wanting higher quality boards for the 4 original factions would make me want other faction expansions, the later being another $200... it's the whole reason I asked for the add-on to be split to begin with, because I can't afford other expansions.

You are in a minority. Around 80% of original backers got at least one faction expansion.

By the time this campaign is over, I expect a sizable portion of all backers to get at least 1 faction expansion as well. (Actually, it's too heavily skewed, as the overwhelming majority of backers are all getting the Tcho-Tchos Faction, so this doesn't tell us much).

If we could go back in time to before the first campaign, I would, at a minimum, make the following two changes:

A) include the High Priests in the core game, and in each faction as needed
B) have all faction cards 3mm punchboard.

As it stands now, the way we're offering them makes the most sense for us. Like I said, we're not really making much money on them, but adding an entirely new SKU to the assembly line is not a zero cost proposition. When we're dealing with edge SKUs that don't make us much money, we need to keep them simple and efficient.

Plus, look at it this way. It's only $10, on an otherwise very expensive game. Just use proxy figures and play the other expansions. You'll want to buy them eventually, I'm guessing. This way you can try them out beforehand, and already have the punchboards.

And, finally, if we offer them as a set of just 4, and you later want to pick up the other expansions, the punchboards may not be available. We might sell them on our website in the future, but there's no guarantee. You are saying you know you'll really want the punchboards. I can't tell you what you want, but if you know you're the kind of person who wants them, I'd suggest getting them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeroth
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I upped my pledge by $10 now that it is clear that the add-on can't be split up cost-wise.

existoid wrote:
By the time this campaign is over, I expect a sizable portion of all backers to get at least 1 faction expansion as well.

The only way for me to see myself getting a full expansion is if you guys tacked on conditional freebies like in the first campaign where you gave out some GOO boxes for people pledging over $200

existoid wrote:
A) include the High Priests in the core game, and in each faction as needed

Are they that vital to the game play? I never bothered looking into them, but it's a cheap enough expansion that I may pick if they provide a lot of gameplay.

existoid wrote:
Just use proxy figures and play the other expansions. You'll want to buy them eventually, I'm guessing. This way you can try them out beforehand, and already have the punchboards.

I've thought about that, but need the spellbooks of the other factions to fully enjoy. But I'm guessing there is no way that would be an add-on at this point. Although, I'm sure you've seen my other thread about the errata spellbooks. Perhaps it is once again not efficient cost-wise, but hopefully you have thought about it at least.

Thanks again Arthur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
strgzr13 wrote:

Are backers of the the original CW KS getting punchboard faction cards automatically or do backers of the original CW KS need to order these (if chunky faction cards are desired) as an add on during the KS CWO2 campaign? I've been digging around here and on the KS and cannot find a definitive answer.

Additionally, are the new faction punch boards going to reflect the few spell book changes that have been adjusted in the interim?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeroth
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
Are backers of the the original CW KS getting punchboard faction cards automatically or do backers of the original CW KS need to order these (if chunky faction cards are desired) as an add on during the KS CWO2 campaign? I've been digging around here and on the KS and cannot find a definitive answer.

Additionally, are the new faction punch boards going to reflect the few spell book changes that have been adjusted in the interim?

Yes, you guys are getting 7 of them and they have the updated errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
Plus, look at it this way. It's only $10, on an otherwise very expensive game. Just use proxy figures and play the other expansions. You'll want to buy them eventually, I'm guessing. This way you can try them out beforehand, and already have the punchboards.

Wait, are you saying these include the spellbooks as well? Wouldn't be playable otherwise, would it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amon Barrach
Spain
Valentia
flag msg tools
Ok, I'm confused. Do original backers get the punchboard faction sheets for free? Or do we have to get them as addons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A) High Priests add a LOT of gameplay. They are seriously one of the best expansions, in terms of gameplay, and they're cheap (by comparison)! Definitely pick them up. I literally never want to play without them. They add a lot of options to each faction.

B) ALL original backers who at least got the core game will get 7 punchboard faction cards. It was a free SG.

C) we're not adding free GOOs this time like we did last time for those who spend $200+. Oh wait...yes we are! laugh They are the faction GOOs instead, but they DO come with gameplay (loyalty card and spellbook, just like the 10 indie GOOs from the first campaign). And it's at $150, rather than $200! I understand they're not new sculpts, like last time. However, ALL our tooling and sculpting money is being pumped into the 7 new factions - MORE unique sculpts than the core game, it has. So, we feel we cannot afford to have SGs that unlock too many new sculpts...but there may be SOME which do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amon Barrach
Spain
Valentia
flag msg tools
Thanks Arthur, then the only addon we need is the 6-8 player map pack.

Incidentaly, did Sandy ever mention that I pestered him during the first KS for the original 6-8 player map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.