GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,341 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Looking through top games, where do you end? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Chauvel
United States
Boston/Toronto
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There was a geeklist that analyzed the BGG ratings today that got me thinking about how people find games to try. The analysis in the geek list said it made the most sense to start with the top 800, but I've gone to the 2000th game or even farther. So I was wondering, how far down do other people usually go? I found a few gems in the high 1000th ranks.

Edit: The analysis did say to go farther, but starting in the Top 800 "BGG 1%" made sense. Sorry for not copying the list, here it is below,

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/198483/numbers-bgg-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to let the games come to me. If I encounter a game and like it, I buy it. I very very rarely set forth to buy a game and check the rankings, but when I do, it's because I need to get over $100 to get free shipping.

Pete (really enjoys a fair number of games ranked 10000 or bigger)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chauvel
United States
Boston/Toronto
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just noticed one of my favorite games didn't even have enough ratings to be ranked, and another is over 30,000th.

About having games come to you, that sounds exactly how I discovered many of my games before I decided to start a collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care for ratings.
But I also don't actively look for games, I stumble upon new ones at a convention, in a boardgame cafe, at a meetup, through friends, by reading about it here on BGG... Plus, the games I already have don't see enough playtime anyway, so I don't really search for new stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I don't look at the top rated games or ratings in general. I tend to browse by publisher looking for games that might interest me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting criteria they used. Neat way of pulling the meat out of the community ratings. I like the ten divisions and their criteria, see the italics part below. Can you quote from a geeklist, BTW?

Acclaimed

-- Dominated by 8 ratings
-- The sum of 9 and 10 ratings outnumber the 8 ratings.
-- Have 3000+ total ratings.

Acclaimed games are the pinnacle of both approval and popularity. Very few (21 games) arise to this level. They are rated so highly that they commonly feed on their own success – players might rate these games highly simply to prove their gaming street cred. They are the first place to look for games that come easily to the table.

And yet, it is important to note that, even among these pinnacle games, they all appeal only to a minority of the full sweep of gamers. This is a critical concept – no game appeals to a majority of the full range of young and old, male and female, thinker and partier, accountant and street artist. This is why ratings alone are not the sole, certain way to build your collection.

(As a personal example, I have played all but one of these games. Only two of them I would be excited play. Many others I would be happy to play, but would not volunteer myself. At least four of them are games I dislike and would turn down. This is not the games’ fault.)

Includes Agricola (2007), Android: Netrunner (2012), Brass (2007), Caverna: The Cave Farmers (2013), Combat Commander: Europe (2006), Cosmic Encounter (2008), Crokinole (1876), Eclipse (2011), Go (-2200), Mage Knight Board Game (2011), Mage Wars Arena (2012), Magic: The Gathering (1993), Paths of Glory (1999), Puerto Rico (2002), Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island (2012), Space Hulk (third edition) (2009), Terra Mystica (2012), Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization (2006), Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) (2005), Twilight Struggle (2005), War of the Ring (second edition) (2012).

********************** End quote.

It surprises me the mix of game types on this list. But they're right saying that children's games and party games generally get the short end of the stick in the BGG ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my friends obsesses over game ranks. If you tell him about a game, he'll check the rank to see if it is "any good". At first, I thought he was just being stupid, but we had a serious conversation about it and I started thinking about it.

I went back through my ratings and looked at game rankings versus my ratings. And it turns out he had a point. Below a certain rank, there were few games I really cared for much. Sure there are some hidden gems, but they're definitely the exception to the rule. And of course, just because something has a high rank doesn't mean I'll like it... but a low rank is a fairly good predictor that I won't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer finding games through discussion with bgg friends indifferent to ranking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Tango is ranked 2999 and certainly worth checking out if only for the art!

I don't care too much for rankings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Or as another example, check out the "Lost cities" family of games by Rainer Knizia.
Lost Cities

some of them are so similar mechanically that they should probably be closer in ratings/rankings. So where do the differences come from? Presentation? Availability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Haven't really done a check on all my games but I know I have a lot that are disdained here (I still enjoy Monopoly and Rummikub) as well higher ranked games...

For me if I like a game, I get it. I might research it a bit on BGG and other sites but that is also because if I haven't played it or seen it, I want to make sure it will be like the box description before I shell out my $$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never look at the game rankings. If I actively look for a game myself, I start with a theme, mechanic or company I like and see what turns up, then dig deeper to see what people think of each specific game that strikes my fancy. Otherwise, I wait until someone mentions a game that sounds interesting to me and I go look up that game.

Ratings are a reasonably decent source of information, in that anything with a geek rating below 5 is an automatic pass and anything with a geek rating above 6 is at least reasonably certain to not be broken or outright terrible, but comments, analysis and direct information (ie, reading the rules) are always the most important thing to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.