Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I just got my copy and will be playing soon. I'll be using a sheet of paper to shield my eyes from sections of the case book that I'm not actively in. However, I was wondering...for example, lets say I decide to go to N32, and while locating the passage in the book, I happen to notice a passage labeled S58...does that effectively give me a spoiler? Do I now know there may be something of interest at S58?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once but I'm going to say not really. Sometimes you talk to someone at a location but they have nothing helpful to say and you've just spent a lead needlessly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree - just because a location has an entry in the Clue Book doesn't mean it's one you need to visit in order to solve the crime. The clue may be short and of no help or it could be longer and still fairly irrelevant. You definitely need to think through the possible clues before you decide where to go so seeing other locations are in the book won't spoil the game at all.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As they've said, you can visit pretty much every location during every case, but most of them aren't very helpful.

Definitely a good idea to not linger on any other locations except the one you're heading to, though, if you want to make sure to avoid spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, if you notice that a section is particularly long and note what the heading is, that could give a little bit away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Our family plays this game on a long, lazy afternoon (when that happens!)None of us have the memory capacity to make that much of a help. "While on our way to NW56 I noticed a long paragraph in... now where was that again?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Neale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, noticing another paragraph has a clue gives you very little information.

Noticing another paragraph has a long clue maybe gives you a bit more information, but still not a lot (there are long clues with no relevance to the main case).

And anyway I advise you to play with the rule that you always have to have a reason to go somewhere based on the clues you've got so far. For my group "because we noticed there was a long clue in the casebook" would never be considered a valid reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Some cases have fully developed wild goose chases. You can spend a lot of time chasing down the wrong criminal, and even the wrong crime. So glancing at a clue and using it without having gotten there honestly can potentially penalize you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
whitescar wrote:
For my group "because we noticed there was a long clue in the casebook" would never be considered a valid reason.

Aetheros wrote:
Some cases have fully developed wild goose chases. You can spend a lot of time chasing down the wrong criminal, and even the wrong crime. So glancing at a clue and using it without having gotten there honestly can potentially penalize you.

I think both of these are good advice. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.