6 Posts

Zeppelins: Monsters of the Purple Twilight» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Playtest AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alan sherwood
msg tools
(Edited now to include images in post)

To give some idea how the game plays, here is an AAR from one of our playtest games a while ago, Jeff Coster as the German and me playing the British. Refer to the playtest AAR pics in the Images.

It was a cool night, with a light to calm wind. Heavy to broken cloud in the North, with broken cloud over East Anglia and London, but fine weather thru most of the inland from Yorkshire to Oxfordshire. There was a fair bit of sea fog, but not much inland.

The German player mounted a 10 Zeppelin raid, with most going for the North and bombing Scarborough, Middlesborough and Sunderland. But this AAR will focus on the southern squadron, which went for East Anglia, and provided the most action in the raid.

A southerly wind shift brought them down into the Thames estuary, probably not what the German player had intended; see picture below.

This shows the three of them in formation passing The Naze. L39 and L45 soon gave up and headed home in fear of a hornets nest of aeroplanes they might blunder into near London (and indeed there was; 4 Camels patrolling near London).

There remains L43. It made landfall at Harwich, successfully Hiding in the cloud cover (the '3' cloud markers show a moderate cloud cover) to avoid the searchlights, but was spotted by chance by a F.E.2d of the RFC patrolling at 14,000 ft; see below.

(the aeroplanes Patrol is secretly assigned on another chart so the German player does not know where they are). In the dark it managed to get one shot off, which just caused a small leak; nothing much to worry about. However, the German player knew it was dangerous territory (the aeroplanes have incendiary ammo), and it was time to flee. But the F.E.2d was still there, blocking its return, so he headed NE for a while to skirt around it, then headed out over Suffolk.

However, the wiley British player (me) had foreseen this and in the previous turn launched another patrol in that direction. Almost at the coast, with safety in sight, L43 hit a barrage line of searchlights (again location hidden from the German player until within range) and this time failed to hide in the clouds. Illuminated, he was spotted and intercepted by the patrolling B.E.12 which had just managed to reach its ceiling of 14,000 ft:

Note the barrage light, L43, the B.E.12 and the Searchlit marker are all actually stacked in the same hex (the large 1 counter nearby indicates some local mist). This time his luck ran out, and the first shot set the gas bags afire. The burning wreck fell in a field near Southwold, and all the locals came to watch. The B.E.12 did a victory roll over the field before returning to its aerodrome. The wreck burned all night, and pork pies were distributed to all the spectators... sorry, got a bit carried away there.

There are many more AARs in the CSW forum on this game, see the Web Links tab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
No images.

Alan is still perfecting his posting technique ... I believe they are posted in the game's gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Douglas
Australia
Flynn
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan - to include images into a post use the following test in a post
[imageID=###### small]
(you can use small medium or large)

(you get the image ID number ###### from the URL of an image:
example: boardgamegeek.com/image/2718978/zeppelins-monsters-purple-twilight

I think these are the AAR images

Full map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan sherwood
msg tools
Adam,

I must be missing something here It works now, thanks Adam

I included text like you said. How come this does not work (at least it does not show up in preview):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Douglas
Australia
Flynn
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just the number - not the whole path

with what you have above, replace:
boardgamegeek.com/image/2718978/zeppelins-monsters-purple-twilight

with just 2718978

and keep everything else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.