Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do all the adventures feel pretty much the same? I've played the first and glimpsed at a couple more, but is it basically usually a variation of:

Find the first ! and then this is where an encounter occurs to get X which is then used at the 2nd ! where the epic showdown is?

I realize there is one adventure where you have to explore until you find all dead ends and plant bombs, but this still doesn't feel that different.

I guess what I am wondering is if there are puzzles to solve ever or something besides turning over room tiles and one of the 12 exploration tokens which seems a bit monotonous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The missions in the two core sets are quite similar. The expansions have started to mix things up. No puzzles yet, though that would fun.

New mission styles include:
- using a die roll in combination with clue icons to find the objective room
- requiring the posse to kill a X of a certain enemy, or survive Y encounters
- scavenging for a certain amount of material
- advancing the Hero Posse marker per mission instructions, and having things happen at certain points on the track
- dividing Exploration tokens into piles of a fixed distribution (ie 1 clue icon + 2 non-icon tokens) and placing them at each exit of a start tile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, the two clue icons are used to pace the game. There are missions where you draw an Epic threat, but there are also missions where you find a lot of Hungry Dead, or a powered-up Night Terror, or some other end point.

The real "feel" of the adventure, for me, comes from the wide variety of exploration tokens along the way. Some games, we only draw Encounters and have to puzzle our way out of each room. Other games, we face row upon row of light enemies. In yet other games, we only see fights with Night Terrors or Slashers. Sometimes we have long hallways of exploration and scavenging between each major encounter or fight. The Darkness deck also plays a part in this, offering fleeting encounter-style effects or ambush attacks.

It's not the destination, it's the journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess what I'm not 'feeling' is that every room is just turn over a token and pass a skill test or fight something and it just seems to get old very quickly. I don't have a lot of experience with adventure crawl games but I would think there is some way to make it feel more like a story versus a random hack and slash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of similar complaints about the AD&D Adventure System games, perhaps ROOM EVENTS would help (the travel table covers the CAMPAIGN EVENTS although those could be done too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
I guess what I'm not 'feeling' is that every room is just turn over a token and pass a skill test or fight something and it just seems to get old very quickly. I don't have a lot of experience with adventure crawl games but I would think there is some way to make it feel more like a story versus a random hack and slash.

I hear ya. Using the advanced rules that give a specific encounter for many of the tiles help alleviate this to some extent.

Aside from that, there are a couple missions that mix things up enough that they feel very different. The undead extermination one from swamps of death is fun, and I quite like the blow the mine mission which involves a split path and a little backtracking. There are a few others that shake things up a bit, but not many. I get the impression that the expansions are including more dynamic missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understand the nature of games like this will feel somewhat similiar in that they are turn based, with encoutners, missions etc... Hard to create the variablily you get from RPG.

That being said, I do feel like this is one of the best games that captures that feel. Ya you move and turn over tiles, but you are also competing with the growing darkness, which gets deadlier the closer it gets to you as well as random enoounters in that room. The other variable is going mad or mutating... no adventure has been the same for us. Started out as a normal priet, now I have horns on my head, fangs and an ugly layer of skin over my eye. We have seen folks get turned to jelly and put in a jar to take back to town to get resurrected. We have had our sharpshooting rancer go completly mad and leave us severly handicapped at the most inopportune time.

With the great leveling up system, the travel back to town and the connection of scenertios, this has BEEN FAR the best RPG feel to a board game that I have ever experienced. I have played all the DxD, Descnet, Gears of war, Claustrophobia, zombicide... etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
Do all the adventures feel pretty much the same?

The fixed map Missions feel different to the random map ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.