Subject: Played once and it felt extremely bland rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Les Coteaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we played wrong or I dont know. We were 3 new players with one guy that already played. I played the Barbarian and won by a 20 point lead. I just always did the same thing. Get guys, then get goods and spend it all on cards that give me more goods so that I could play, and play and play and play while people were watching me. Then I got a couple of cards that gave me points for razing so I just started to raze cards. I spent all my turns just trading goods to get cards to raze them. I was getting 3 points for every raze I did so it went up really fast.

Did I do something wrong? Or was it my opponent who let me do that? Should I try again? I felt like there was no interaction and the game was too simple and mindless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you spend a sword token everytime you raised a card from your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the other players do not try to take down your engine (barbarians like razing) then it can be as simple as you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
The Barbarians are really thematically played... like barbarians. Do the same thing over and over and bruteforce your victory.
Each Faction plays a little bit different. I guess it takes knowing of the game to stop Barbarians effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the first few times the girlfriend and I played this game, we took the Romans vs. Barbarians (as the rulebook suggests), and the Barbarians won every. single. time. for a good half a dozen games.

Just as we were about to cry "unbalanced!", something twigged for us. We were trying to play each faction the same, whereas they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. The next play, Romans won, after we figured out (a) what cards to look for, and (b) what style of game to play.

The Barbarians are a naturally "simple" faction to play as initially, with no knowledge of cards in your faction deck. The other factions require a lot more deck knowledge to see the synergies, but I think are ultimately more rewarding and satisfying to play.

Give the game another chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Les Coteaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
Did you spend a sword token everytime you raised a card from your hand?

Yep, I had a couple of cards that produced swords.

Koolin wrote:
If the other players do not try to take down your engine (barbarians like razing) then it can be as simple as you did.

Might have been that. The guy that knew how to play, played as the Japanese, and the two other players had kind of a problem learning how to play.

If I'm offered to play again I'll try, but it might just not be my kind of game. I'm not a point guy most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubius wrote:

If I'm offered to play again I'll try, but it might just not be my kind of game. I'm not a point guy most of the time.

If you don't like engine building, you won't like IS. Having the barbarians and producing swords and razing for points makes me feel all tingly. Sounds you got a killer combo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.