Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Vietnam 1965-1975» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Question Retreat and Airmobile points rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I use an Air-mobile point to make a unit air-mobile for retreat?

Do 1st Air Cav and 101st units retreat using Airmobile movement point costs?

Current situation I had a HQ uncovered and VC attack it but don't "kill
it, I want to get "far away" from them but Mechanized movement won't get me far enough away. Can I spend an Air-mobile point to let it be Air-mobilized for the the retreat move?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris99 chris99
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't have a rule book handy, but I remember the example of Operation Starlite where a unit was airmobilized mid-operation. Of course, the airmobile point had been assigned to the operation. I remember many threads about whether you can add airmobile on the fly or not (as well as threads complaining about not being able to add air on the fly).
The way I play - the choppers are there for the boys on the ground. If you need help out of a tough situation and have the AMBL points, call the choppers in. (Maybe retreat out of a hex with enemy infantry would be a hot landing zone situation).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob A

North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:
Can I use an Air-mobile point to make a unit air-mobile for retreat?


Yes. In fact, it's the only way an attacking unit without a pursuit modifier can continue to pursue, so it can definitely be used as a retreat tactic.

Dren608 wrote:
Do 1st Air Cav and 101st units retreat using Airmobile movement point costs?

Current situation I had a HQ uncovered and VC attack it but don't "kill
it, I want to get "far away" from them but Mechanized movement won't get me far enough away. Can I spend an Air-mobile point to let it be Air-mobilized for the the retreat move?


1AC and 101 can always use it, but they don't have to. The only restriction to who can use airmobile are the ones with a shaded (white) movement point. Those are ground movement only.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmb
That's how I've played it. Eligible units can be airmobilized for pursuit, retreat, and even reaction movement.

Airmobile VC can use it during alert.

Just kidding!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Raindem wrote:
Airmobile VC can use it during alert.



*SHUDDER*
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrboba1 wrote:
Dren608 wrote:
Can I use an Air-mobile point to make a unit air-mobile for retreat?


Yes. In fact, it's the only way an attacking unit without a pursuit modifier can continue to pursue, so it can definitely be used as a retreat tactic.

Dren608 wrote:
Do 1st Air Cav and 101st units retreat using Airmobile movement point costs?

Current situation I had a HQ uncovered and VC attack it but don't "kill
it, I want to get "far away" from them but Mechanized movement won't get me far enough away. Can I spend an Air-mobile point to let it be Air-mobilized for the the retreat move?


1AC and 101 can always use it, but they don't have to. The only restriction to who can use airmobile are the ones with a shaded (white) movement point. Those are ground movement only.


+1 to this. Bob's answer is how we play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
Raindem wrote:
Airmobile VC can use it during alert.



*SHUDDER*


I think Air Mobile VC starts to happen when the Chinese try to invade
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I always thought I could but since I was being stupid in leaving a HQ without a "guard" Thought I should check
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brown
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1978 and 1979 scenarios would be kewl, but would need expansion maps. Did the Soviets give the SRV Mi-24s?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.