Subject: Sicily setup for the campaign game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Just working through my first game solo, and I was wondering about the setup for Sicily, assuming the Allies choose to invade there first (or at all).

Is the set up the same as the mini scenario of Operation Husky? I assume so, but it doesn't seem to state that clearly anywhere.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you use the Campaign set up display instead, so instead of for example placing units as per the picture in the Husky scenario you place them anywhere you like. If the Allies do not invade Sicily the Italian units are not placed at all, but on the map that is invaded instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just checking because the other maps all have a starting set up for when they are invaded, at least for the Italian units. But Sicily was conspicuously absent.

Is there anywhere it indicates Sicily is a free set up? I would have next to no clue what an effective set up would be to defend Sicily otherwise. Why not just throw everything into defending one key city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:
I was just checking because the other maps all have a starting set up for when they are invaded, at least for the Italian units. But Sicily was conspicuously absent.

Is there anywhere it indicates Sicily is a free set up?

You use the fixed Italian set-up shown on the Sicily map, on page 9.

Check the Italian Deployment procedure for the Campaign game, page 3 of the Playbook, 6.German/Italian set-up:

Randomly pick the Italian units from their draw cup until you get the right mix (or spread them on the table on their “Untried” sides, and deploy them on the map as per the Italian fixed set-up maps shown in the diagrams on pages 4, 5 and 9 of this manual.

But feel free to experiment with free set-ups, it could be fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Carl... I missed that!

I am interested in more of an historic setup anyway.

What do people typically do with the 2 German units, just out of curiosity? The aeroporto seems like a decent starting spot, but other than that? What are others doing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on where the Allied invasion actually ends up being. I would put mine in Sicily if the invasion goes there, and definitely at the Aeroport if the invasion lands around Rome. It also makes sense to place them in the Reserves if you have no other idea.

The Airport around Rome needs to be defended if there's an invasion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:
What do people typically do with the 2 German units, just out of curiosity? The aeroporto seems like a decent starting spot, but other than that? What are others doing?

If you're talking about Sicily:

I usually put the HG Pz div at the airfield, and the 15th Pz Gren somewhere east of Palermo, from where it can reach both the western part of the island or the Gela LZ:s, depending on where the invasion takes place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.