Subject: Temporal Cold War rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, knowing how at least two of the other players at my venue will probably try setting up in a corner and jousting, I was thinking of a fleet that would hold up in a firefight.

4th Division Battleship [36]
- Sar 2 (Captain) [1]
- Dorsal Weapons Array [3]
- Amat'Igan [3]
Ship Total: 43 SP

Dominion Starship (Jem'Hadar Battle Cruiser) [32]
- Khan Singh 8 (Captain) [4]
- Q (Admiral) [1]
- Tetryon Emissions [3]
- Aft Weapons Array [4]
- William T. Riker [3]
Ship Total: 47 SP

Resource: Officer Exchange Program [0]
- Dominion Faction
- Independent Faction

Fleet Total: 90 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://comatoes.github.io/staw-utopia/

Wondering if I should just take Q off. I originally had him annd Khan's build on the Battleship, but then realized it would be better for Khan to get TL and BS free from the battleship. Q's 180 would be better than the cruiser's 4 come about, but that still leaves the battleship with no easy way to turn around.

I am concerned about cloaked mines though. They bit me hard during on of my Year of Hell matches.

(Originally I also had Terrell on the Kraxon, but then remembered we get blinds again.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gallagher
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know how smart a tactic this is, but something I just thought of:

If your opponents try to hide in a corner behind cloaked mines, do you think you could intentionally bump the planet with one or both ships and still keep the opponents in your firing arc?

This would require the range(s) to work out properly, and you'd have to get the angles right too in order to not have the planet block your line of sight, AND the cloaked mines could render this null and void (you don't want to sit in a minefield turn after turn), BUT it might be hilariously effective to bump your battleship into a sliver of the planet, still hand out free actions to the cruiser, and then 1-forward the cruiser into the battleship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I would consider removing Sar and Amat'Igan and putting Karr in. You shoot earlier and probably harder. You also get a passive buff for qfter your Q flip that will probably drop a few aux tokens on the battleship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was looking at the Resource retirement list and realized that this is the last month we can use the Counterattack die. And I had the thought that it might work well with this build.

I could drop Tetryon Emissions and Amat'Igan to bring the die. My ships have plenty of HP, at least to start, so that if it rolls an attack, they can survive not getting the evade. And that adds just more damage onto an already hard hitting fleet. If I get the evade, fine. And the battlestations is fine when defending with Riker. So, at least when defending Battle Cruiser, there's no downside.

But then I thought that, since next month is the last one for Fleet Captain, it might be good to drop those two upgrades for an FC. Which could be very useful to get the discounts with one of the Independent FC's, especially on some of the blind boosters.

I'm just not sure if the discount would apply to the boosters. I assume they would, which then makes it a gamble which to take. Some boosters are tech heavy, some crew heavy.

And then I reread this thread, and liked the idea of using Karr. So now I don't know what to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tiballagher wrote:
it might be hilariously effective to bump your battleship into a sliver of the planet, still hand out free actions to the cruiser, and then 1-forward the cruiser into the battleship.

Tournament Rules, under the Additional Rules section:
Quote:
9. If a card grants a free Action to a ship but does not specify when the free Action can be performed, the ship must perform the
free Action during its Perform Actions step.

If your cruiser bumps the battleship, the cruiser would therefore not be able to perform the free Action it received from the battleship.

This is because the wording on the battleship does not contain the "immediately" that is present in the wording on Martok8 and some Fleet Captain cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Went 2-1 for second place. Used Karr instead of Sar and Amat'igan, adn moved Q and Tetryon Emissions to the Battleship. And pulled the Lakota for my blind.

First match was an odd one. My opponent set up her mirror vor'cha on one side of the planet. I placed Lakota to joust. Then she placed her fighters and Enterprise-E on the other side of the planet.

So I put all my ships together. She flew her vor'cha towards her other ships, and I ended up chasing her around the planet. The Jem'Hadar ships got through the cloak, putting the vor'cha down. I got Lakota and 4th Division around the planet, but Khan had gotten way out of position. She turned the fighters around, but I had taken a tokens off. Eventually took the E out, and time was called. The planet blew with just three mission tokens. She got the 20 point bonus, used Madred on my Benteen, and got a bonus point because I only flew 129 points. But I had more than enough to win it.

Second match was all guns. He sent the Bellerophon, USS Defiant, and Feringi booster at me. We jousted right into each other. I screwed up and completely forgot to use Tetryon Emissions. So while I was able to pop the Feringi, he took down my Battleship. And when the planet exploded, I was closest again.

It was downhill from there because his Fed ships were just too slippery. Ahab Picard and TOS Sulu on Bellerophon. Hathaway Riker and Worf on Defiant. I put some hits on both, but couldn't get into position to really focus fire on one. He picked off Khan, than Lakota.

Third match was really fun. He came up with a nasty little Pegasus. Gul Damar and two specialized shields. Then Multi Kinetic Neutronic Mines. What he did was drop the mine behind the planet, then continually do a 3 come-about over them. Demar meant the Pegasus took 2 dice instead of 4, and specialized shields negated the other two. Which means he could keep dishing out mine damage to my ships (and his) along with the planet's explosion.

He also brought Dukat on a Bioship and the Kazon booster. I got lucky and was able to take out the Bioship quickly with the Jem'Hadar. I did lose the battleship, but because the Kazon move like a boat, I was able to get Lakota behind it and flip Khan around. Khan actually took out Pegasus, then helped Lakota finish the Kazon off. Once again, my opponent got the mission token bonus.

Really had a fun time with this one. If I had to change anything, I would probably leave Q off. Only used him once, and the planet took out the battlestation before I could shoot anyway. Also would not have forgotten to use Tetryon in the second match. Might have kept the battleship alive and changed the match.

But, it was a nice advantage to have the initiative tie breaker because I ran a point short. It meant Karr and Khan went first in the first and second matches, respectively. But Q really kept me from getting the +1 attack from Karr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.