Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolas Guibert
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I played Fleet Wharfside at Essen in the IBIS hotel in the evening. I enjoyed the game very much and the new friends I made on this occasion.

However, I was and am still a bit puzzled at Carter's Crustaceans. The player next to me kept getting extra free fish (frequency around 70% I'd say) while my own contracts only triggered benefits very infrequently.

I realize that these Crustaceans contracts score fewer VP than other contracts. But still, I wonder if they are not too powerful. Any thoughts?

I was also wondering about the initial setup. I understand the normal setup is more favourable to the first player than the completely random setup because the first player can actually pick the best set of contract/fish. Not that it matters much, but this question comes as a following of my 1st question. The guy next to me got the Crustaceans contract as a start contract and I felt this was a big advantage (in case you have not understood yet )

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
You did the normal setup in reverse turn order, right? The first player should have the last pick, and vice versa. That way, if you think the contract is that valuable, you need to select it during setup, to balance out the turn order.

The only contract I have felt is overpowered is the one that gives you 10 points and lets you draw a new contract immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Guibert
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I have played only once and we did not even pick our contract in the initial phase (as the rules suggest as a possibility).

It did not appear to me that the first player had much of an advantage. So I did not see the picking of contract would be compensated by that.

But what do I know? I have played only once.

Thanks for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.