GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,144 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Run, Fight, or Die!: Big Box» Forums » General

Subject: Run Fight or Die! The Bigger...er Box! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kennedy

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play RForD at a friend's place (he had the first Kickstarter package).
I thought it was a heck of a lot of fun.

I wanted a copy for myself, and found it was sold out everywhere. When they announced the "Big Box" Kickstarter with everything for a much better price than buying the game and expansions separately; I had to back it.

OK, I know there are some issues with card cutting.
Sleeving fixes that.

The Box is a bit small.
Sure, there are some videos of folks jamming everything in; but it looks like more time and energy is spent to set-up and put away the game than actually playing.

What do you do in Pennsylvania Dutch country when you've had a bit too much apple crumb cake and a few too many cheese steaks?
You get a bigger pair of pants.
When one of the zombies of RForD said... "send more cops" (name the movie reference), someone answered and they've been feasting and fattening up.
Time for a bigger box.

I started with a foamboard insert to make the box taller (that thin cardboard lip I added much later, ignore that for now).

This gives you a good idea of the new height.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to make an insert for the minis, or try to use the one they included.
With the foamboard insert, the tray didn't fit inside the box anymore; it's a close fit, but not quite.
The tray is actually a pretty decent quality.
I wanted to see if I could use it, and trimmed the edge with a sharp scissors, as you can see here.

It fits perfectly!

Everyone knows the figure base is too big for this guy to lay in the tray without sticking up above the top/lip.
A sharp knife fixes that problem.

Since all of his bulk is in the front, I trimmed the back.
It doesn't affect the game in any way, and now he fits in the tray.

Perfect!

Plenty of room for the zombies, they don't have to be jam packed in the insert, and they're separated this way.

The boards keep the zombie horde from spreading into the neighboring tray.

Dice fit perfectly, better than I planned!

The upgraded heart gems I got at Hobby Lobby (thanks to another BGG'er for the idea).

Player boards sit on top of the zombies and still fit below the top of the insert; solving the problem of the boards not fitting in the bottom of the tray without being forced in, and they keep the zombies from spilling out.

Piece of Crescent Mounting Board (with a finger hole to make it easy to remove).
I didn't really have to make this, but since I didn't need the board after I finished the project... why not?

Nice.

Card trays (thanks again to a BGG'er).
The cards are sleeved.
The trays are a bit higher than needed... remember when I said ignore that thin cardboard lip I mentioned earlier?
That will come in handy later.

What should I do with that empty space?

Cut up one of the expansion boxes to make a cool tray to fill in the void.

Awesome!

Hey, I know what to do with that tray... it's a bit small, but works great. It's almost like I planned it that way.

And the box closed beautifully; until I printed a larger set of instructions, and some charts from the BGG file section; laid them on top, and then the lid didn't close so nicely anymore.
So I added that thin cardboard lip to add a space on top for the print-outs.

My mistake, and correction paid off; as the thin cardboard makes my "addition" even with the sides of the original box.

The lid now fits better on the box than before I added the thin cardboard lip; almost like I planned it that way.

These lay inside the lip, the top closes snugly and so nothing spills, and it also won't crush.

For winging this as I went, I think it came out great.

Project cost?
About $10 in foamboard and mounting board (1-sheet of each), plus a couple hours work over two nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric D
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...looks great. love the mini Dice tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks Great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

When life gives you lemons, get out your cutting tools and make lemonade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buchold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Nice job. Off topic but that mutant zombie was the new one correct? Because I didn't get mine with the rest of it. I assumed it was coming with the promos that are coming later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you pay for the Mutant it was $15 more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buchold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Yes I paid extra. So this was supposed to come with the big box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes you should have. I would just message Jason and he will let you know what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Nice job on the box modification! Great pix, also. But...

kensboro wrote:
Sleeving fixes that.

No. It doesn't.

Some people despise dislike sleeved cards. The only fix if you don't sleeve is to trim. Remember that sleeving isn't the panacea for all card woes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kennedy

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Nice job on the box modification! Great pix, also. But...

kensboro wrote:
Sleeving fixes that.

No. It doesn't.

Some people despise dislike sleeved cards. The only fix if you don't sleeve is to trim. Remember that sleeving isn't the panacea for all card woes.

Ok, you have a point there.
I might be the only Dominion player in the world that doesn't sleeve his cards.
Sleeving might keep them nicer, but it also makes cards harder to stack, and they're more likely to go flying under a chair or some nether region.
We'll compromise... how about "sleeving sort of helps the miscut card issue".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Return of the Living Dead." Great movie and this is one of the many funny lines in the movie. "Sludge zombie" is still my favorite zombie of all-time.

kensboro wrote:

When one of the zombies of RForD said... "send more cops" (name the movie reference), someone answered and they've been feasting and fattening up.
Time for a bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.