Subject: Same scale and pricetag as CW? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this game be similar in scale and price to Cthulhu Wars?
I was hoping for something less epic and affordable.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
From talking to the publisher at Gencon, G:tGW will be another monstrous game; in scale as well as price. Very similar to CW, but "grander".
With the added bonus/über-expense of multiple expansions.

$$$Mega cha-ching$$$

But, if he remakes Dragon Pass with Nomad Gods, I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, Sandy stated that it would be similar in scale but with less miniatures so the cost would not be as high. Of course, this may have changed since then. I would ask him personally on the ASK SANDY thread going on on BGG now. It's up to about "Ask Sandy 5" now so make sure you post in the latest thread and he will most likely answer you within a couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
The core game will very likely be cheaper (half the number of minis, after all).

But...given the scope and depth of Glorantha (which has a MUCH vaster selection of beings and things than the Cthulhu mythos!), Sandy has a LOT of expansion possibilities. So, the "all-in" may be quite large. But, luckily, a lower starting point which should help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
The core game will very likely be cheaper (half the number of minis, after all).

But...given the scope and depth of Glorantha (which has a MUCH vaster selection of beings and things than the Cthulhu mythos!), Sandy has a LOT of expansion possibilities. So, the "all-in" may be quite large. But, luckily, a lower starting point which should help.

My wife will be happy when I tell her about the cheaper starting point ... but will then quickly go back to rolling her eyes and shaking her head when I tell about all of the 'expansion possibilities'!

Either way, color me super excited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
current plan is for the core game to cost $100 on the Kickstarter. THIS MIGHT CHANGE, as our pricing estimates are not yet complete (how can they be? Not all the figures are even sculpted!) So please do not hold me to this.

Anyway, our current plan is:

$100 - Core Game 36 figures (on Kickstarter - probably more in retail)

$100 - Empire Box 35 figures or 44 with stretch goals (includes all the expansion factions, plus the 6-8 player map)

$50 - Building Box 63 figures, or 72 with stretch goals (includes miniatures for the buildings, to replace the die-cut counters found in the core game & empire box - also, this is the likeliest cost to change, since we have the weakest estimate on it)

$25 each - three Monster packs; 2 figures each or 3 each with stretch goals

$25 each - three Elder Race packs 25 total figures, or 32 total with stretch goals (most of the Elder Races are 3 figures. The Dragonewt & stretch goal Giant, however, are only a single figure.)

Total - $400. However, no doubt we will have an "everything" pledge which will discount off of this, so the final price for the equivalent of our DVM is probably going to be in the neighborhood of $350.

Again, this is all subject to change, and it's possible we'll be told that we have to add $20 to the core game, or $40 to the Building Box or who knows what. Or we might be able to knock $5 off the Monster packs. But it looks, for now, like it will certainly be far less expensive than Cthulhu Wars, thanks to our hard-won experience and our success in finding a manufacturer who can work with and for us.

Note that it will STILL be a monster game. If we hit all our stretch goals (which I think most likely), then someone who gets the "everything" pledge is going to have to find storage for 193 figures, not counting any OTHER stretch goals I've not listed above (like the Arachne Solara first player marker, or the Magic Crystal "talking stick", etc.)

If the project does well enough, we'll add back in the War Gods pack, Magic Gods pack, and Secret Gods pack as add-ons. These hold 8 gods each (well, the Invisible God's figures in these packs are not, technically, "gods" - instead they are the Prophet Malkion, Zzabur the First Wizard, etc.). If we do add in these packs, this is where you'll be able to get figures of gods such as the Storm Bull, Cacodemon, and Babeester Gor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.