GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,973 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

504» Forums » General

Subject: What does TOP mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 504 [+] [View All]
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the book of worlds, when a module is at the top of the page it is called TOP I, in the middle TOP II and at the bottom TOP III.

I understand the difference between these three. I'm not confused by the rules, but by the naming convention. Why is the bottom of the page called TOP III? Is TOP a TLA (Three-Letter Abbreviation)? Should I pronounce it "top" or "tee oh pee"?

Basically I'm asking what TOP means. And if it means 'top' (i.e the upper part of something), then in what sense are TOP II and TOP III at the top?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does not mean top
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeOfEarl wrote:
"TOP" is often used in meetings in Germany. It means "Tagesordnungspunkt", literally "point of order of the day".

Each agenda bullet point in a meeting is a "TOP".

To be quite frank, this seems to be another case of language confusion which could have been avoided with a better translation term. Just like the "steps" in Power Grid, which really should have been translated as "levels".

from https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20267752#20267752
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Henning from 2F has a different explanation in Re: 504 - rules available.

Henning wrote:
The usage of "TOP" (not "top") is an abbreviation for "topic" (in other words point of order).

As the game "504" uses so many priorities (for choosing maps, player order, the order of the modules in a game), we needed to use this key word "TOP" for the order of modules.

Hopefully this makes sense!

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best translation to English might be ITEM.

The people who used it in the English translation apparently thought that (1) English speakers would think "Topic" when they see "TOP", and (2) English speakers would understand this usage of the word "Topic". Unfortunately, neither is really true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens V
Germany
Ibbenbüren
flag msg tools
Too hot to hoot
badge
Was it a car or a cat I saw?
mbmbmbmbmb
ITEM would match the German Tagesordnungspunkt, but why not just call it "position"? (with POS as the abbreviation if necessary)

The module in POS 1 determines the VP, 9 in POS has rather complicated income rules, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
The best translation to English might be ITEM.

Better than "TOP", for sure.

Maybe "element", "aspect" or "module", though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
...or even "slot".

I'm not even completely clear whether a "TOP" is one of the three "slots" for "modules", or one of the "modules" which is put into a "slot".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like slot.

Anything but TOP. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a seemingly small oversight... but so critical in a game with as many complex interlocking parts as this one. Isn't the first or last time this will be questioned, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vertaler wrote:
ITEM would match the German Tagesordnungspunkt, but why not just call it "position"? (with POS as the abbreviation if necessary)

The module in POS 1 determines the VP, 9 in POS has rather complicated income rules, etc.

Unfortunately, I usually see "POS" as an abbreviation for "piece of shit", which is probably not an image they want to go for here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens V
Germany
Ibbenbüren
flag msg tools
Too hot to hoot
badge
Was it a car or a cat I saw?
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Vertaler wrote:

Unfortunately, I usually see "POS" as an abbreviation for "piece of shit", which is probably not an image they want to go for here.

Context is king

I was excited about the amount of Perry Bible Fellowship supporters in the 504 forums until I realized people were talking about Play-by-Forum games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for those helpful answers. My quest for enlightenment is fulfilled. I can carry on playing the game without any further concern over nomenclature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TOP means Slot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.