GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Fields of Arle» Forums » General

Subject: Worst Punchsheets Ever? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Cox
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Man, I'm having trouble getting these damn tokens out of the punchboard intact. Literally whole sides of tokens not separated from the main sheet, that I have to carefully slice off, it's a nightmare!

I must have punched a good couple hundred games and I've never seen it so terrible.

Anyone else have the same problem, or is it just me? Any other suggests aside from just using a craft knife?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin Addis
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have punched 2 sets of this game without any issues.

Both sets were from original release at Essen 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall any problems with my copy of it, but it was around a year ago when I punched it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Cox wrote:
Man, I'm having trouble getting these damn tokens out of the punchboard intact. Literally whole sides of tokens not separated from the main sheet, that I have to carefully slice off, it's a nightmare!

I must have punched a good couple hundred games and I've never seen it so terrible.

Anyone else have the same problem, or is it just me? Any other suggests aside from just using a craft knife?

Sounds like you just got a poorly punched copy. They are definitely not all like that. If you contact the publisher, maybe they'll send you new punch sheets. Bad punches just happen sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had difficulties with my punchboards as well. Thankfully no ripping on the the tokens (just the punchboards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same problem you described. I just used extra care

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Feuerland 1st Edition was Perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, D-Day at Omaha Beach has the worst punchsheets ever.

I don't recall FoA giving me any trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not "Happy"
mbmbmb
No punch issues with my U.S. copy.

I do believe I might have an issue with the stickers staying on the wooden tokens though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of mine punched out very cleanly, but I did have three or four of the city tiles that gave me trouble. Nothing torn on the image side, thankfully, and one that delaminated a bit was easily fixed with a little glue. Overall, I really think FoA has great components.

As for the stickers, I followed the advice of others and gently heated both the parts and stickers prior to application. Three weeks of nearly daily use and no sticker problems whatsoever.

And I just managed a solo 115 score yesterday (my first 110+)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
And I just managed a solo 115 score yesterday (my first 110+)!

Congratz!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Compton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had issues too and despite taking extra care, some of my tiles did rip. ZMan replaced them though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cox
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Okay, cool. I'm taking extra care, but still have a couple rips. I've had good experiences with Z-man customer service, so I'm sure they'll send me replacement

On the plus side, it is super thick good quality board, so maybe that's part of the reason why a few people's copies are a little harder to punch than normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P C
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
In the non-culinary sense, of course.
badge
Metagaming?
mbmbmbmbmb
I had similar problems; I ended up using a modeling knife to cut them free of the board. Fields of Arle definitely had the worst punchboards of any game I've purchased, but with great care everything made it 95% intact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dennis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a copy in August which had this issue. Possibly from a recent reprint based on how long I had to wait for my store to get it in. It was really quite stressful and I also had to use a little retractable knife to cut the paper to get the pieces out without damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
That's unfortunate. Sounds like they let the punch-press-thing go too long and get too worn out before they got around to replacing it. Hence some perfect punches (presumably the earlier copies) and some 'worst evar' (the later copies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cox
New Zealand
flag msg tools
You might be right (mine was listed as Q1 2015). Could also partly be because the cardboard is very thick good quality.

But I got an email back from them almost straight away saying they were sending replacements so all good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Melo
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mine was so-so. I've definitely had games that were worse, but a few of the building tiles tore at the corners when I was punching them out. For the life of me I just couldn't them off safely. Not enough buildings for me to really complain, but if the problem had affected more than just that sheet or two I might have said something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cox
New Zealand
flag msg tools
They sent the replacements super fast, so great customer service, Z-Man. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that this thread title must be an exaggeration.

But I'm about a third of the way through punching my copy, and can answer the question with an emphatic "yes! These ARE the worst punch sheets ever". And I've got a collection of about two thousand games.

What is more, I "pre-cut" ALL of my tokens to avoid having those straggly little bits where they were inedible to the spruce - but that's no help with this game, where it's the corners that aren't punched properly. On Al,out every single freaking tile.

So far I've only wrecked one tile (the lighthouse thingy - I'm hoping that I only need one and not both of them). But 50% of the rest have been hard to punch and have required tidying up with a scalpel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had the 2015Q1 printing and had problems with the punch sheets. I think I removed probably 95% with no damage, though many had annoying little chads still attached which needed to be cleaned up. I will have to double check the damage on the 5% to see about replacing.

I also only received 31 of the 40 peat cubes, so maybe QC on that whole printing was a bit off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Haha this made me go home and count my peat cubes.
(Thankfully 40.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had trouble with the trail side of the cities. I did get some ripping. Luckily it's not all that noticeable. My copy was also Q1 2015.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.