Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a solo game against Nyarlathotep and waxed him at the end with the Mob guy and his tommy gun

so my question is :

Why do we not have a horror check to fight the AOOs? ( or did I make a mistake) I played all game and killed zero monsters and was delayed twice in the abyss and twice in Arkham due to my loss of sanity( allowing 8 gates to pop up), then voila, the AOO awakens and I machine gunned him to death in 4 rounds.

Im thinking that the ancients should have a horror check , if I can go insane from looking at a fire vampire, looking at Nyarlathotep should be a mind bending experience, especially to a mob hitman with 1 sanity

Also, to remove a doom token in combat is to get as many successes as there are players in game, so playing 1 character means every success is a counter removal , right?

I love this game though, the components are top notch and now I want to play it with some of my friends who saw me testing it on my breaks at work.

thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You played it correctly.
It always bothered me as well that the AOs have no Horror check associated to them.
To be honest, it bothered me the whole concept of fighting an AO with rifles and daggers (be they enchanted or not)... shake
Personally, we play that if the AO awakens, the game is over (there isn't any final fight). It also prevents some (disturbing, in my opinion) strategies consisting of building your character for the upcoming struggle rather than exploring the city and the Other Worlds to close (or seal) the gates. Of course some AOs are strictly improved in this way (i.e. Yig), but it isn't a problem (for us, at least) to have some tougher challenges... quite the opposite, indeed!

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You already must be insane to try to fight an Old One!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
You did play it correctly... i suppose that you probably would have lost (or possibly) had you not killed him in the first round (with what happened, i doubt you had many clue tokens).

i usually play with several investigators since one always seems to be a bit tight, but in your case it gave you the win.

i agree though, a sanity check would be good. i wouldn't mind a beefing-up of resistance to physical weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play solo, giving the ol' lead handshake to a Great [sic] Old One is often rather easy. It gets tougher, strangely, with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaclav Hajicek
Czech Republic
Opava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am totally with you - horror checks against ALL monsters EXCEPT AOs - that sounds stupid. My suggestion is simple - make a horror check against AO using its combat modifier (i.e. -4 for Nyarlathotep, you can use Clues as usually). If you fail, you lose as many sanity tokens as is the length of AO's doom track halved and rounded UP (for Nyarlathotep: 11/2 = 5.5, rounded up to 6). I assure you - NOW you will feel the fear AOs deserve!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of implimenting something like that,

If I had 2 investigators I would have lost, as instead of killing him I would have only done 6 or 7 damage and then ran out of clue tokens, but saying as it was me and the slimy meatbag I filled him full 'o lead

brraaaaapppp

the game is really fun though, I think the coop dynamic makes it a lot easier sell to nongamers, as they know they can just follow me or ask for tips and not look like they are total novices, as we are trying to accomplish the same goal

Thanks for the replies gang

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roney
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I've always felt that thematically, fighting the Elder God is a "bad win"- something happens along the lines of the town getting destroyed, but you saved the rest of the world, or all the investigators get sucked down with him, but at least the world is safe, etc.

So I suppose the lack of Horror check is the mind finally coping with "Okay, we're doomed, it's time to make our last stand and go down fighting."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.