Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: So I knew a guy...that loved Tesla. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Ellipses_Electric [+] [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That talked as if Tesla could do no wrong, he had the same opinion of Obama.
The perfection of Liberal ideals essentially.
I wonder where he is now....
We would try and explain to him about how people were having battery issues with Teslas, and his response was always, I never heard about it so that means it never happened......
I wonder if Tesla will improve on this stuff?


http://mashable.com/2015/10/20/tesla-stock-plummets/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: So I knew a guy....
I thought technology could always be improved to solve problems.

Yes most likely they will improve the design (assuming they do not go bust) in the same way that you do not drive a model T ford.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
And in my news feed this morning was an article, with video, of a guy driving a Tesla using the hands free option and suddenly the car veered left directly at an oncoming vehicle. No crash, human reaction time is apparently still the boss.

Pretty freaky though, the car literally jerked left dramatically.

Looks like there's a ways to go before these new vehicles can be trusted to run reliably and not kill their passengers who ignorantly decide to take a nap and use the *smart* features.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TSLA has all the halmarks of a speculative stock (ala Netflix).

it could fall to $125 and have minor technical damage. But if it passes $125, the next support is at about $40.

Customer satisfaction remains high, and this could be a buying opportunity.

You could make a lot of money if you pic the right options.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
That talked as if Tesla could do no wrong, he had the same opinion of Obama.
The perfection of Liberal ideals essentially.


Obama is no liberal, so this guy was not "The perfection of Liberal ideals essentially."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
That talked as if Tesla could do no wrong, he had the same opinion of Obama.
The perfection of Liberal ideals essentially.


Obama is no liberal, so this guy was not "The perfection of Liberal ideals essentially."
You had to fall for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry had to correct the BS,
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
i thought you were talking about the person not the car - anyway the main problem with the car is of course that it has awful energy efficiency because of the weight of the battery and the fact that most people are inadvertently powering it with electricity generated from fossil fuels
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
i thought you were talking about the person not the car - anyway the main problem with the car is of course that it has awful energy efficiency because of the weight of the battery and the fact that most people are inadvertently powering it with electricity generated from fossil fuels
I seem to recall seeing something about there are issue with the batteries ability to use solar power.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
slatersteven wrote:
single sentences wrote:
i thought you were talking about the person not the car - anyway the main problem with the car is of course that it has awful energy efficiency because of the weight of the battery and the fact that most people are inadvertently powering it with electricity generated from fossil fuels
I seem to recall seeing something about there are issue with the batteries ability to use solar power.

wut
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
single sentences wrote:
i thought you were talking about the person not the car - anyway the main problem with the car is of course that it has awful energy efficiency because of the weight of the battery and the fact that most people are inadvertently powering it with electricity generated from fossil fuels
I seem to recall seeing something about there are issue with the batteries ability to use solar power.

wut
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-06/tesla-s-ne...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
slatersteven wrote:
single sentences wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
single sentences wrote:
i thought you were talking about the person not the car - anyway the main problem with the car is of course that it has awful energy efficiency because of the weight of the battery and the fact that most people are inadvertently powering it with electricity generated from fossil fuels
I seem to recall seeing something about there are issue with the batteries ability to use solar power.

wut
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-06/tesla-s-ne...

well that makes more sense
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
TSLA has all the halmarks of a speculative stock (ala Netflix).

it could fall to $125 and have minor technical damage. But if it passes $125, the next support is at about $40.

Customer satisfaction remains high, and this could be a buying opportunity.

You could make a lot of money if you pic the right options.


I thought the very point of today's reports is that, according to Consumer Reports' annual car owners survey, Tesla cars rank below average in customer satisfaction. Many glitches and problems are complained about.

So, if a Tesla is not a super high quality car, then I'm not understanding the big whoopla about this car with the so-called environmentally conscious. I never understood why using fossil fuels at the power plant as opposed to at the internal combustion engine was nothing more than six of one half dozen of another.

I do see it as a plus if locally your electrical generation is via hydro or nuclear. But, the availability of non-fossil fuel generated electricity doesn't seem to match up with the solution to all of life's ills that Tesla is touted to be. And yes, I'm also considering the questionable ultimate value of efficiency of generation.

It just seems like Tesla has been sold by progressives such that if every car were like a Tesla, oh my God, everything is solved. It's just that for the time being not everyone can afford one.

I'm not seeing the greatness that is Tesla once one looks at the details.
.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

So, if a Tesla is not a super high quality car, then I'm not understanding the big whoopla about this car with the so-called environmentally conscious. I never understood why using fossil fuels at the power plant as opposed to at the internal combustion engine was nothing more than six of one half dozen of another.


The major difference is control points for the pollution. On the surface it would seem more cost efficient and actually easier to scrub a few dozen power sources than have thousands of catalytic converters of varying effectiveness and reliability scattered across the landscape.

From a long view perspective, moving vehicle engines to electric and adjusting the infrastructure to "charging" instead of "fueling" allows great flexibility in energy source. If any one source becomes cheaper or more expensive, the transportation sector only has to switch power sources, instead of being married to gas/diesel. I think from an economic/societal standpoint it would be much better.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
That talked as if Tesla could do no wrong, he had the same opinion of Obama.
The perfection of Liberal ideals essentially.


Obama is no liberal, so this guy was not "The perfection of Liberal ideals essentially."


Liberals like to tell themselves that, I've noticed.

Liberal != not a warmonger.


Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Liberals like to tell themselves that, I've noticed.

Liberal != not a warmonger.


Ferret


Well, they have been constantly characterized as such every election cycle. Conservatives are always quick to point out that Republicans are "strong" on Foreign Policy. Implying they are Hawkish and Democrats are Dovish. That is either true, or we all have to agree that neither party is "weak" and is willing to use force without much reservation. If you agree withthe former, then Obama is a Conservative when it comes to Foreign Policy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We have an entire infrastructure built to power things, and that works more efficiently than cars do.

Meanwhile, if we change that entire infrastructure, we can do it gradually, and gradually change how the car is run from fossil fuels to renewable sources while also changing the rest of the country to do the same.

I think Tesla is a step in the right direction but there needs to be a really reliable cheap version to fuel the installation of the charging infrastructure. Which operates on solar power now, but isn't widespread enough to get you wherever you want to go.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Jythier wrote:
We have an entire infrastructure built to power things, and that works more efficiently than cars do.

if you burn coal to generate electric energy and then convert that into mechanical energy with an engine in your car thats a lot less efficient (and more polluting too) than burning gas right in your car
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not if you're burning the coal anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Jythier wrote:
Not if you're burning the coal anyway.

burning coal is already hardly energy efficient (~35%) but then transmission/distribution (~92%) battery charge/discharge (~86% is state of the art) and converting it in an electric engine (~95%) incurs even more loss of energy - in comparison the "well-to-wheel" efficiency for a conventional combustion engine is about 81%
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TSLA has all the halmarks of a speculative stock (ala Netflix).

it could fall to $125 and have minor technical damage. But if it passes $125, the next support is at about $40.

Customer satisfaction remains high, and this could be a buying opportunity.

You could make a lot of money if you pic the right options.


I thought the very point of today's reports is that, according to Consumer Reports' annual car owners survey, Tesla cars rank below average in customer satisfaction. Many glitches and problems are complained about.

So, if a Tesla is not a super high quality car, then I'm not understanding the big whoopla about this car with the so-called environmentally conscious. I never understood why using fossil fuels at the power plant as opposed to at the internal combustion engine was nothing more than six of one half dozen of another.

I do see it as a plus if locally your electrical generation is via hydro or nuclear. But, the availability of non-fossil fuel generated electricity doesn't seem to match up with the solution to all of life's ills that Tesla is touted to be. And yes, I'm also considering the questionable ultimate value of efficiency of generation.

It just seems like Tesla has been sold by progressives such that if every car were like a Tesla, oh my God, everything is solved. It's just that for the time being not everyone can afford one.

I'm not seeing the greatness that is Tesla once one looks at the details.
.


What I read in an article on another site was that the repair/issue rate is high but Tesla deals with the issues promptly with good customer service and customer satisfaction with their cars remains high. I think the number was 97%.

I.e. Consumer reports is unhappy with the reported repair rate but customers who own tesla's remain happy (so far).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
burning coal is already hardly energy efficient (~35%) but then transmission/distribution (~92%) battery charge/discharge (~86% is state of the art) and converting it in an electric engine (~95%) incurs even more loss of energy - in comparison the "well-to-wheel" efficiency for a conventional combustion engine is about 81%

There are probably some transmission type costs in getting the petrol from the middle east to the car's tank, but yeah, good point. Ideally you'd want electric cars with a non-polluting power source so you can eat the transmission losses. Or charge them from rooftop solar on your house.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
in comparison the "well-to-wheel" efficiency for a conventional combustion engine is about 81%


Meisseur Carnot would be quite surprised at this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
That talked as if Tesla could do no wrong, he had the same opinion of Obama.
The perfection of Liberal ideals essentially.


Obama is no liberal, so this guy was not "The perfection of Liberal ideals essentially."


Liberals like to tell themselves that, I've noticed.

Liberal != not a warmonger.


Ferret


It goes way beyond that. A liberal would have thrown the corrupt bankers who played roulette with our economy in jail, a liberal would have thrown Bush and company in jail for war crimes, including torture, a liberal would have shut down Guantanamo 7 years ago, a liberal would have thrown the insurance companies out and not given them a sweet deal and we would have a single payer health care system not health insurance. Just because they say it on Faux news doesn't make it so.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
That talked as if Tesla could do no wrong, he had the same opinion of Obama.
The perfection of Liberal ideals essentially.


Obama is no liberal, so this guy was not "The perfection of Liberal ideals essentially."


Liberals like to tell themselves that, I've noticed.

Liberal != not a warmonger.


Ferret


It goes way beyond that. A liberal would have thrown the corrupt bankers who played roulette with our economy in jail, a liberal would have thrown Bush and company in jail for war crimes, including torture, a liberal would have shut down Guantanamo 7 years ago, a liberal would have thrown the insurance companies out and not given them a sweet deal and we would have a single payer health care system not health insurance. Just because they say it on Faux news doesn't make it so.


So you are saying Obama is a failure?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.