Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: A VIRUS game from Global to Molecular scale rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Mason
msg tools
Hi guys, though it's my first time posting on BGG, I've been a long-time lurker. I love playing board games and have been playing those designed by others all my life until now.

After finishing a riveting book about the Ebola virus a few months ago, I just had to play a game about virus and epidemics - to scratch an itch, if you will. Being an avid gamer myself, I know there are already a lot of virus-themed games out there. However, none of them deals with the subject matter from both a global and micro perspective. In a virus game, I want to be able zoom out to contain the epidemic from a global perspective. At the same time, I also want to zoom in and research for a cure, solving the genetic riddles of what makes a virus so deadly in the first place. How could a game incorporate both elements together while making it fun and accessible? To answer this question, I decided to design one myself.

Due to experience working in the financial industry, I began to test my ideas and design on Excel with VB programming. After substantial testing and balancing, I can proudly say that the game concept and mechanics work beautifully well. The game is fully playable. Even though that it’s only on Excel so far, it produces that “just one more turn” feeling.

The game, which I named "Blight", may have become too complex to be made into a board game, even with its strong board game roots. I'm thinking of moving it to mobile devices. However before committing to it, I'd REALLY APPRECIATE it if you could please give me any suggestions or feedbacks!

Below's the website I've created for this virus game. All screenshots in the game are taken from the Excel platform where I tested my concepts:

www.cureblight.com

I know when it comes to game design and mechanics, we boardgamers are the true experts. If you are interested, you are welcome to look at the below video in which I describe how to play the game in greater detail:

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you look at Plague Inc. and Plague Inc: Evolved, which admittedly, does the reverse where you have to engineer a plague to kill all humans, but it does both the micro and macro scale. (The science is a little hazy, sacrificed to make good gameplay, but the broad idea is there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mason
msg tools
I see Caroline. Yes I'm a big fan of the game as well, and it was one of the inspirations I had when designing it. It has elements of Pandemic, Elder Signs, XCOM (global screen), and Fight for Humanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.