GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,451 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Objective Deck Space on the Board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the PnP rules I downloaded on Oct 19, the board shows a space to place the deck of objective cards. Then in setup, it says to deal two cards to each player and to return the rest of the objective cards to the game box.
Is a reason to use space on the board for a deck that gets placed back into the box? Are there any encounter cards that let you draw a new objective card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Power
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless it's been changed since I printed my copy, there's a space for factory, combat, and encounter cards, not objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a place on the board to keep the deck of objective cards. At this point it doesn't serve a function other than to give everything a specific place on the board so players can place used objective cards there. At some point in the future (future factions/abilities), there might be a way to draw more objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah, I was just looking at the rules. I hadn't looked at the board. I'm still debating whether or not to build the game. I built Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia and the process felt like a part time job. That was partly my fault though because I made all of the resources, player markers, and meeples out of poly clay.

Jamey, I hadn't thought of using it as a discard location, but that makes sense. One interesting way to interact with the unused objective cards in a game would be to discard one of the objective cards you have to get to choose (immediately) between two new objectives, perhaps as a one time action not available till mid-game so you'd be able to make an informed decision yet have time to complete the objective.
Jamey, as a side note, it's incredible how well you pay attention to all of the threads here on BGG, comments on Kickstarter, and I can only imagine how many emails with from backers, interested gamers, and business contacts to get the game produced. Your dedication is commendable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas: Yeah, I think that could work as a faction-specific ability (if that faction could get more than 1 star for objectives). We did find in playtesting that letting players accomplish more than one objective ended up being a little too easy, so that's why we limited it to one (except for the Saxon faction).

And thank you! I don't chime in on everything on BGG because sometimes it's better to just read along and let the conversation take its course, but I love to answer questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Power
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And apparently I was completely wrong. There is a spot for those, I just never used it. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gemini6Ice Gemini6Ice
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
There is a place on the board to keep the deck of objective cards. At this point it doesn't serve a function other than to give everything a specific place on the board so players can place used objective cards there. At some point in the future (future factions/abilities), there might be a way to draw more objectives.

In your design of this game, have you rated the difficulty of the various objective cards? Could you share that information?

Do you currently have any uncemented ideas for players to trade hard objectives for easier ones or get more benefit for a harder objective? My friends and I would certainly like to try out some of these non-coimmitted options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to have the board set up as people arrive to play and I usually know how many players I'm going to have. It's true that the objective cards are given out at the beginning of play but we do that at the same time as we place markers and draw combat cards etc. once we know our Action/Faction board match-ups. I've shuffled all the decks and placed the requisite number of cards in each of their slots on the board (11 encounter cards, all the combat cards, the appropriate number of factory cards, turned up the bonus building score tile and enough for two objective cards each). Everything else goes back in the box. So personally I like that there is a spot for all of them. But that's just me, there is no reason why you couldn't leave all the unselected objective cards in their slot, as well as all the encounter cards in theirs and all the building bonus tiles with the drawn one on top where they go, and so on.

To each his own, but if an expansion were to allow for more encounters (refresh?), or access to more objective cards either before or during play, even more than one factory card each (or the opportunity to replace the one you have) - who knows? The board already makes provision for any or all of these possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.